CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want to weigh my curls down and get a wet look

+5
misskris
CarlaAR
ChrsLvsBks
Takeya
sewiknittoo
9 posters

Go down

I want to weigh my curls down and get a wet look  Empty I want to weigh my curls down and get a wet look

Post by sewiknittoo 13th December 2010, 2:17 pm

Hey anyone have any idea of what product(s) I could use to actually weight my curls down? I love my hair but sometimes I don't want to rock the big hair look. I thought about using sebastian wet, but I don't want to end up drying my hair out more than it currently is. Shocked
sewiknittoo
sewiknittoo

http://alnaturalhair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

I want to weigh my curls down and get a wet look  Empty Re: I want to weigh my curls down and get a wet look

Post by Takeya 13th December 2010, 2:21 pm

I'd recommend Kinky-Curly Curling Custard. It weighs my hair down quite a bit and I have A LOT of hair. You just have a apply the product when your hair is soaking wet! My hair feels so soft and moisturized with the combo of Knot Today and the Curling Custard.

Hope that helps!
Takeya
Takeya

http://www.justtakeya.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

I want to weigh my curls down and get a wet look  Empty Re: I want to weigh my curls down and get a wet look

Post by ChrsLvsBks 13th December 2010, 2:22 pm

I think it is more about technique than product. When wet, about how big of a circle does your thumb and pointer make if you were to place your hair in a ponytail while wet.

How do you typically apply product(s) to weigh your curls down?

I am thinking you need a thick curl cream after applying leave in. In addition, you may want to allow your hair to air dry to 40-60% before applying curl cream. In other words, use a microfiber towel/flour sack/t-shirt to remove excess water before applying leave in. Then apply curl cream once 40-60% dry. By drying your hair some before adding curl cream you can determine how much product to use to weigh hair down. I would start with sections no more than two inches wide & apply no more than a quarter size initially. You can increase the amount by a dime size until you see the desired look.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Takeya 13th December 2010, 2:41 pm

@Chrs - I'd love to hear your recommendations for a thick curl cream. I'm always nervous about letting my hair dry before applying a styler because I'm afraid it's going to get frizzy from finger combing. Also, I haven't found a heavy enough cream to weigh down my hair without leaving a white film.

When I ponytail my hair wet, I can wrap a regular sized Goody band around it 3 times max.
Takeya
Takeya

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 15th December 2010, 11:02 pm

I love big hair, but if I want a "flatter" look, what I do is I section my hair in about 8-10 sections, add whatever leave-in or oil to wet hair and blast each section with a blow dryer to get most (not all) of the water out. Its usually about 15 seconds so its still wet so my curl is in tact, but not soaking. I add either a cream of some sort or a gel like KCCC or Kiss My Face Upper Management and do a flat twist set, seal the ends, etc.

When my hair is completely dry, my hair is pretty flat.

My hair is thick, big (have a hard time doing a puff unless its soaking wet) so this takes some of the bulk out.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 15th December 2010, 11:27 pm

hey, moptopmaven on youtube did this vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppY5S0cBwyM
kinda cute!
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 16th December 2010, 3:05 pm

Takeya wrote:@Chrs - I'd love to hear your recommendations for a thick curl cream. I'm always nervous about letting my hair dry before applying a styler because I'm afraid it's going to get frizzy from finger combing. Also, I haven't found a heavy enough cream to weigh down my hair without leaving a white film.

When I ponytail my hair wet, I can wrap a regular sized Goody band around it 3 times max.
I like Curl Junkie's Coffee Coco Curl Creme and recently J/A/S/O/N's curl cream. There are plenty more available--those are the ones I have tried and liked. I would try letting your hair dry to at least 50% after applying LI to get an idea of how much cream to use. The leave in should help with frizz. You could also apply an oil over the LI but still wait until hair is at least 50% dry before adding creamy styler or gel.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Takeya 16th December 2010, 5:17 pm

Thanks, Chrs! I'll try this next time I wash-n-go...would love a "tamed" look without having to use a gel!
Takeya
Takeya

Back to top Go down

Post by gerrypierre 31st December 2010, 1:44 am

I was just about to post asking this question because after I do a twist and curl I love my hair when I first take it out...by the end of the day it's climbed up and up!...lol

Thanks, I guess I need more products because right now I just use a homemade leave in of suave conditioner, olive oil, coconut oil and water.

gerrypierre

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 31st December 2010, 2:50 pm

gerrypierre wrote:I was just about to post asking this question because after I do a twist and curl I love my hair when I first take it out...by the end of the day it's climbed up and up!...lol

Thanks, I guess I need more products because right now I just use a homemade leave in of suave conditioner, olive oil, coconut oil and water.

Experiment with the proportions before buying more products(unless you really want something different). Try using more conditioner and less oil/water.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by gerrypierre 1st January 2011, 5:54 pm

Experiment with the proportions before buying more products(unless you really want something different). Try using more conditioner and less oil/water.

Thanks Falcontress, I will try. Part of the problem might be that I never do an exact measurement so I just kind of throw in amounts. Perhaps being a bit more meticulous about it will help. It seems like I might need some gel too for weight, although I hesitate because then I feel like I'll have to co-wash/wash more often and it takes a few days of twisting after washing to get the texture I like for twist outs.

Last edited by gerrypierre on 1st January 2011, 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Tried to do the quote thing but didn't work)

gerrypierre

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 4th January 2011, 1:43 pm

Chrs - is the Jason curl defining cream brought locally?
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4th January 2011, 3:56 pm

what products actually give u the look as if u just washed ur hair??? btw i don't want to use gel...i'm looking for a more direct answer b/c i was going to post something about this, but got detoured to this post~

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 5th January 2011, 11:51 am

BlondeByDesire wrote:Chrs - is the Jason curl defining cream brought locally?
I have seen it in The Vitamin Shoppe. I purchased it from a message board.

strawberri_slushee wrote:what products actually give u the look as if u just washed ur hair??? btw i don't want to use gel...i'm looking for a more direct answer b/c i was going to post something about this, but got detoured to this post~
Anything that provides moisture and hold. Curl creams may fit this description.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th January 2011, 6:30 pm

are there any curl creams i can purchase at a store like walmart or target that aren't too expensive cause i know alot of them are~

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyDO21 14th January 2011, 4:47 pm

strawberri_slushie I use Cantu Shea Butter, and I think it works GREAT for my hair! It's a repair cream & leave-in conditioner- but I use it as a styling cream to- that way I'm moisturizing and protecting my hair!
I got that at target for about $6. I'd say it's worth the buy! Lemme know if you purchase it!
KinkyDO21
KinkyDO21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down