CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lack of knowledge about natural hair.

4 posters

Go down

Lack of knowledge about natural hair. Empty Lack of knowledge about natural hair.

Post by ebonediva 10th December 2010, 12:29 am

A lady at my job asked me why I decided to go natural. I explained to her that it was a combination of things that led to my decision. She explained that she grew her relaxer out a year ago and she's is now natural. She went on to explain that she's not comfortable with her "natural look" so she continues to get her hair pressed and wear wigs in between salon visits. Everyday she has a list of questions she asks me about natural hair maintenance. I've given her the website (curlynikki) for her to gain knowledge about natural hair maintenace, obtaining a support group, and products to use.
She has yet to visit the site. She told me today at work that she decided to stay natural BUT she will continue to get her hair pressed bi-weekly. Shocked What a Face Shocked I almost had a conniption b/c this is something that I had been trying to explain to her - the damage that heat can cause.

This brings me to belive there are many people "going natural" without the knowledge of what is required to really be natural. It's becoming a fad, a conversation topic, an experiment, etc. I'm so sick of people asking me are you natural - (saying to myself----REALLY????-----no I just haven't had a relaxer in 3 years) Rolling Eyes

Okay--I'm done venting! I need to go to bed!
ebonediva
ebonediva

http://God Said It, I Believe It, and That Settles It....AMEN

Back to top Go down

Lack of knowledge about natural hair. Empty Re: Lack of knowledge about natural hair.

Post by misskris 10th December 2010, 12:54 am

Hahaha!!! Girl, that's a mess! THat reminds me of this girl i saw on youtube today (I can't remember her name) but she was black, had long hair. But she was "natural" but KEPT her hair straight. She got that keratin treatment (I think that's what she said it was) that helped keep the hair straight or helped straighten it. She said she even has to have her roots as straight as possible. the point of her vid was to show how she grows long hair. she said that by always keeping it straight it cuts down on having to detangle which cuts down on breakage. I understood that point of view but I also understand that that much heat to the hair to ALWAYS have it straight can't be good either. She never did protective styles, and some other stuff she said she never does, the stuff that we (on CN) would swear by. But I guess when it comes down to it though people gotta do what is "good" for them and what makes them happy. But I'm like you, what's the point???? lol
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Lack of knowledge about natural hair. Empty Re: Lack of knowledge about natural hair.

Post by Guest 10th December 2010, 1:00 am

@ebonediva i totally agree w/ u about the part when u say that alot of ppl are going natural w/o knowing it and the fact how ppl constantly apply heat to their hair b/c of the shame of the naps or whatever; they still be trying to obtain the "relaxed" look, but wearing wigs or weave is not bad b/c some ppl may use it as a protective style.....i wear wigs at times and the main one i wear is based around natural hair b/c it's human hair and has a curly coarse hair type texture so maybe it's in the 3's category idk...sometimes i wear my natural hair, but i'm awaiting more growth; that's just my story though; good topic~ Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 10th December 2010, 1:04 am

"Ignorance is voluntary misfortune." - Nicholas Ling

I totally understand your frustration with trying to help your co-worker! You can't help her before she's ready. And even when she is ready, she'll still insist on making her own mistakes and learning "her" way...kind of like a teenager, haha.

I don't think you can assume that her hair is heat damaged because of biweekly presses though. Everyone's hair and product arsenal is different. When I straighten my hair, black women always ask me "Are you sure you're all natural?" or "Your ends look really straight, are you sure they're not damaged?" I'm like...I'm sorry you weren't home with me all weekend while I sat in my pajamas with a curly fro. I'll take pictures next time, haha.

I am natural because my hair is fine and it cannot be relaxed or constantly heat styled without damage. I love my curls, but I also like the freedom to change styles when I feel like it. Hair....Liberty...get it?
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 10th December 2010, 1:23 am

I really can understand the frustration all you can do is trying to point someone in the right direction they must do what they are comfortable with and what works for them i feel if someone decide to not relax , and press their hair because they reffer that straight look is okay i mean after all its their hair and technically they are still natural lol
Personally in my transition i wear many protective styles and i plan on wearing them in my natural hair journey as well i mean it's a matter of personal preference Smile
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down