CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sensitivity to Henna?

2 posters

Go down

Sensitivity to Henna? Empty Sensitivity to Henna?

Post by catcurls 6th December 2010, 5:05 pm

I have been hennaing for about 8 months now but have noticed when left on more than 4-5 hours my scalp itches at the back base of my head and in crown area. Sad My mix is 2-3TBS Jamila, 1TBS Amla, 4-6 TBS of Buxus Dioica with black tea or coffee. I add 6TBS Indigo mixed with hot water to henna mix then apply it all. I rinse with non-protein based condish to remove the henna rinsing until water runs clean. After I deep condish. Has anyone else experienced sensitivity after hennaing?

catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Sensitivity to Henna? Empty Re: Sensitivity to Henna?

Post by envizionj 6th December 2010, 5:33 pm

I'm allergic to the indigo, which gives me migraine headaches even with 2 tablespoons, so I run from it like the plague. No

You may not have rinsed it out the henna and indigo thoroughly. After rinsing out the henna with water, apply conditioner and rinse, then apply a quick moisturizing shampoo and rinse, then rinse with conditioner again. Then do your deep conditioner.

You may also want to substitute the black tea/coffee with green tea, which is less harsh. Also, don't mix your indigo with hot water, use warm water. sunny

What brand name of conditioner are you using? You must use moisturizing conditioners since henna is drying. I use Suave Professionals Humectant For Dry hair conditioner mixed with Aussie Moist Conditioner and add 2 teaspoons of 1-2 of my favorite oils (e.g., Black Jamaican Castor oil, Nutiva coconut oil, sweet almond oil, Goya extra virgin olive oil). Mix it all together and rub it on your hair, not your scalp. Leave it on for as long as your want and then rinse out with conditioner or plain warm water.
flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by catcurls 6th December 2010, 5:51 pm

I've been using Suave Naturals Coconut or any inexpensive condish I happen to have around where protein is not high on the list of ingredients. For deep conditioning I used Yes to Cucumbers mixed with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose. I normally use JessiCurl's deep condish but was out. I have tried green tea before but that seemed more acidic to my scalp than blk tea. This past weekend was the first time I tried coffee, just happened to have some already made.

Have you ever tried yogurt for the acidic component for dye release?
catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 6th December 2010, 6:20 pm

Catcurls, I have never tried coffee in my henna mix or yogurt. I was tempted, but when I researched I didn't see the benefits of adding coffee to my mix since I wanted a dark brown. I also saw that it had to be decaffinated or it would give me the jitters so I left it alone.

I'm surprised that green tea was more acidic than coffee since it is supposed to be so gentle. I have never used green tea. I have used hibiscus/sorrel tea and found that to be drying on the scalp.

I have added Plantation Black strapped molasses to my last few henna mixes and found my hair to be extremely soft after wards. I use 1 box of Jamila 2009 Henna, 1 tablespoon of Hesh Amla powder, 1 tablespoon of Hesh Brahmi powder, 1 tablespoon of Hesh Maka powder, 1 tablespoon of cloves, 1 tablespoon of molasses, then add warm spring water and mix. I leave it in the bowl for dye release for 12 hours and then freeze until I'm ready to use.

I have combined yogurt, coconut milk and coconut oil in the past for a Coconut cream relaxer and ended up with straw hair similar to this young lady in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHAdAtsZ5Hc Sad I had to do some major deep conditioning to get the moisture back. After that experience, I will never put cream of coconut or yogurt in my hair again. There is just too much protein in the mix.
flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down