CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie vent ...

+2
LittleOne
JessiWantsCurls
6 posters

Go down

Newbie vent ... Empty Newbie vent ...

Post by JessiWantsCurls 1st December 2010, 8:57 am

I'm sure the vent is nothing that most newbies haven't gone through, OMG! I went to Sally's all excited to buy the perms rods to do a set and some of the recommended products. Can we say completely OVERWHELMED? While in Sally's (mind you, I never went to Sally's before starting my transition because they black hair product selection is scarce) all I kept thinking was "use this, but not that", "get this, but make sure there's not that in it". I keep seeing someone's all cap post of NO PETROLATUM, ,everything I picked up had that in it ... or mineral oil.

I kept trying to pull up the couple of articles I saw on spiral setting to see if I could find the products they used ... couldnt find them. I went through a couple of the product lists I have saved from prior articles or posts ... not in Sally's. Eeeekkk!!! I bought what I could find and figured I'd take my chances.

On a bright note, I did find my perm rods and the Fantasia IC heat protectant that everyone raves about. I didn't get to try the set because hubby had a soft ball game, so I'm going to do a little more researching ... try it again and see how it goes.
JessiWantsCurls
JessiWantsCurls

Back to top Go down

Newbie vent ... Empty Re: Newbie vent ...

Post by LittleOne 1st December 2010, 3:16 pm

Hey JessiWantsCurls!

Here's my Sally's strategy: The GVP section

They have generic versions of Paul Mitchell and Joico products that are really top notch. If you tell me what products you were looking for that you couldn't find, I can tell you what the equivalent products would be.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 1st December 2010, 4:05 pm

JessiWantsCurls wrote:I'm sure the vent is nothing that most newbies haven't gone through, OMG! I went to Sally's all excited to buy the perms rods to do a set and some of the recommended products. Can we say completely OVERWHELMED? While in Sally's (mind you, I never went to Sally's before starting my transition because they black hair product selection is scarce) all I kept thinking was "use this, but not that", "get this, but make sure there's not that in it". I keep seeing someone's all cap post of NO PETROLATUM, ,everything I picked up had that in it ... or mineral oil.

I kept trying to pull up the couple of articles I saw on spiral setting to see if I could find the products they used ... couldnt find them. I went through a couple of the product lists I have saved from prior articles or posts ... not in Sally's. Eeeekkk!!! I bought what I could find and figured I'd take my chances.

On a bright note, I did find my perm rods and the Fantasia IC heat protectant that everyone raves about. I didn't get to try the set because hubby had a soft ball game, so I'm going to do a little more researching ... try it again and see how it goes.

I felt the same way in the beginning of my natural hair journey. I found that making a detailed list was helpful and sometimes so were the sales people. Hang in there. We are here to help you.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by JessiWantsCurls 1st December 2010, 6:29 pm

Thanks, ladies. I'm on a mission to get this whole transitioning thing under control. If not, I know me ... I'll start freaking out and buying everything I see.

@LittleOne, I'm actually so new at all this that if you just have any products from Sally's (or anywhere else for that matter) that you would recommend for what is somewhere in the 4B/4C grade of hair, that would be great. I'm only 4 months in, so I'm not completely sure where I fall on the hair spectrum.
JessiWantsCurls
JessiWantsCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 3rd December 2010, 11:19 am

@JessiWantsCurls - Welcome to the fun! You must visit my new hair care website. Everything you need to know for a successful journey is there.... www.hairliberty.org.

Take the hair quiz too. People love to throw product suggestions around, but your curl pattern is only 1 factor in which products will work well for you.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by JessiWantsCurls 3rd December 2010, 12:13 pm

I've tried that quiz, but I have trouble with. Since my hair is still in transition, I have 2 or 3 different answers for each of the questions. It's hard to answer based on my natural new growth because I'm not sure since it's still attached to my relaxed ... lol.
JessiWantsCurls
JessiWantsCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 3rd December 2010, 2:11 pm

I took it several times and each time I came out a 4.. Kind of hard for me because I don't relax regualr on one of them so I put none.. The other time I think I put relax and I still came out with 4.. I put my hair as straight because I still have relaxer in it..

Little one Hair Id means that is my hair type 4.. If so I thought I was a 3C because when I read the different hair types my hair is growing in corkscrews and that is usually 3c from the different articles that I've read.. So IDK what type I am.. It grows in little sprial or corkscrew curls..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd December 2010, 2:42 pm

I feel you on the frustration. I have no idea when my last perm was and I only consciously decided to go natural on Oct 23 of this year (I have to put things on a calendar to remember them). I don't know how to tell what the true texture of my hair is, I don't even know if there is still perm in my hair. I did the quiz twice and got 2 different answers. Decided to quit while I was ahead. I have not really shopped for new products per se'. I am really just trying to use up all my old stuff. I am currently using products from everywhere, lol. Garnier Fructis, Cantu, Aphogee, Jam, Motions, Organix, Parnevu, Lottabody, and I think that is it. Did you scrap all your old stuff and start over?? Maybe you should try Wal-mart. They are cheaper than Sally's and have a pretty good selection. That's where I got my Organix and Cantu stuff. The Cantu leave in stuff smells good and leave my hair very soft. When I use it with the Olive oil Lottabody my twistouts turn out quite well. 2nd day hair is always banging... What products are you looking for? Maybe we can figure some stuff out together.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 3rd December 2010, 3:17 pm

letha wrote:I took it several times and each time I came out a 4.. Kind of hard for me because I don't relax regualr on one of them so I put none.. The other time I think I put relax and I still came out with 4.. I put my hair as straight because I still have relaxer in it..

Little one Hair Id means that is my hair type 4.. If so I thought I was a 3C because when I read the different hair types my hair is growing in corkscrews and that is usually 3c from the different articles that I've read.. So IDK what type I am.. It grows in little sprial or corkscrew curls..

Ladies, I'm glad you visited the site and took the quiz. Here's what you have to understand: You have to choose your products based on how you plan to style your hair.

@Letha: The Hair ID quiz is not about curl types. I'm sorry if that confused you. If you are a 3c curl pattern and you want to wash n go you need different products than someone who has 3c curls and flat irons regularly.

If you ladies are transitioning, then select the option that your hair is "relaxed"...because most of it is.

Does that all make sense?
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 3rd December 2010, 3:22 pm

Yea thanks Little One.. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the curl pattern.. Either way I tried it I still came out with 4 Hair ID.. I picked none and Relaxed and it was still the same.. Thanks for explaining it to me..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 3rd December 2010, 3:25 pm

@letha: Just curious, do you wear your hair straight?
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd December 2010, 3:25 pm

Yeah it makes a lot more since now. So basically its not what you should be using NOW; its to figure out what to use for how you PLAN to where your hair?
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd December 2010, 3:29 pm

LMBO! I took it again I got yet another answer. LOL!!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 3rd December 2010, 3:30 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:Yeah it makes a lot more since now. So basically its not what you should be using NOW; its to figure out what to use for how you PLAN to where your hair?

Exactly Smile You're really trying to figure out which products will:

1) Help you get your hair to look the way you want
2) Keep your hair healthy and retaining length

When you think about it that way, you can see why 1 person might love a product and the other will hate it.

LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 3rd December 2010, 3:31 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:LMBO! I took it again I got yet another answer. LOL!!

You should clear your cookies in your Internet browser...it's not meant to be taken over and over again and it will start to jumble up your responses.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 3rd December 2010, 4:15 pm

While in Sally's
I have yet to find a product in there that did not have cones, sulfates, mineral oil, petrolatum or parabens. You have to actually try products and decide what trade-offs you are will to make. I do not use products that contain the ingredients I listed so my beauty suuply store shopping is limited to end papers, curlformers & conditioning caps.
I would advide you to take your time. The shelves(in the store & on the web) are full of products and they will be there for you to try. To keep the cost of experimenting under control visit places like Whole Foods & Sephora to get samples. Sally's usually stocks a lot of single use packets of products and you can get a lot of travel size products at Walmart and Target. Dollar Tree stocks VO5. TJMaxx, Marshall's and Ross also have great prices.

Keep a journal so you will know what have tried and the results. I make notes about how my hair feels at each stage of my wash day so I can tell what effect each product yields.

HTH

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by JessiWantsCurls 13th January 2011, 8:32 am

Somehow I missed all the good info on this thread. I didn't know about the 'watch this thread' option when I posted this.
JessiWantsCurls
JessiWantsCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down