CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newly Natural Sister in Need of Hair Styling Help!!!

3 posters

Go down

Newly Natural Sister in Need of Hair Styling Help!!! Empty Newly Natural Sister in Need of Hair Styling Help!!!

Post by kiki28504 29th November 2010, 10:01 am

am a newly natural sister and I I BC'ed November 2, 2010. I transitioned for about three months before I cut all of my hair off. I am in dire need of some help. I'm rocking a TWA right now and the only styling I do to my hair is co-wash once a week and just run my fingers through my hair with water. I am lost when it comes to how to moisturize, deep condition, keep my hair soft and healthy, how often, etc. I read articles and posts on curlynikki.com and I am just overwhelmed with all of the information. Do I shampoo or just co-wash? How often should I shampoo or co-wash? How often should I deep condition? What do I use to keep my hair moisturized other than water? These, with other questions, are going through my mind constantly. Can anyone help me out? I also have a dry, itchy scalp; probably from not taking good care of my hair. Are there any good shampoos for this problem?
kiki28504
kiki28504

Back to top Go down

Newly Natural Sister in Need of Hair Styling Help!!! Empty Re: Newly Natural Sister in Need of Hair Styling Help!!!

Post by DLocDLovely 29th November 2010, 10:46 am

Congrat's on your recent BC! I know the feeling of being overwhelmed. I took my locs out over a year ago and even though I was already natural, I had to learn how to take care of my newly "freed" natural hair which is a whole different ballgame. What I learned is this- what works for one person may not work for you. You'll have to try different things until you find the balance that works for you. You'll learn whether your hair likes products with a lot of protein or hates it. You'll learn if you need to moisturize nightly vs daily. You'll learn if shampooing vs cowashing is too harsh for your hair. But you will learn. Start simple. Don't go out and buy every product in sight without figuring out if the products you have work for you. Keep track of the products that you are using and what's in the products. So, take a deep breath...Exhale....and enjoy the process of finding you! Good luck!

DLocDLovely

Back to top Go down

Newly Natural Sister in Need of Hair Styling Help!!! Empty Re: Newly Natural Sister in Need of Hair Styling Help!!!

Post by curlytee 29th November 2010, 10:40 pm

Congrats. May I recommend you Google the Curly Girl Method. Caring for our hair is about a process. this explains it. You must master the process.

all of the following is needed conditioner for pooing, leave-in, and a Oil for sealing, Again, it is not about products. Process, Process, Process

You will get overwhelm, this is natural. Gathering information about what we are born with is very interesting and New. Enjoy the ride. (smile)

finally, go to Youtube and look at videos on how to do wash & go's, twist outs, regimens, natural hair styles, braidouts, rusticbeauty, and maghony curls.
Again, Congrats. Use this site to research and ask questions
curlytee
curlytee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down