CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outgrown Your TWA? Well come on in...

+20
naturallymocha
Ladybird
CurlyGirly9
ChardaeD
DivaDreamgirl
catcurls
tressedforsuccess
LittleOne
Berry3674
MissNaturalBeautii
luvmycoils
SwanLakeLibra
freckledmom4
newcurlieque
popsbaby
LaToya28
Karameldiva1978
BlakButterfli
Sebastain13
KnottyKinkyMommy
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Outgrown Your TWA?  Well come on in... Empty Outgrown Your TWA? Well come on in...

Post by KnottyKinkyMommy 28th November 2010, 8:19 pm

I've recently outgrown the TWA phase and I now have about 4 inches of hair all around. I'm at an awkward phase where I don't exactly know what to do with my hair in regards to styles. Its at this point where I always perm or cut my hair but I am determined to get through this phase this time.

So, I'm just curious as to who else is in the same boat as me. Are their any of you out there with 4-8 inches of hair? Please tell me I'm not the only one who is going through the awkward length phase. I don't know if this would necessarily be a challenge as opposed to a support group. But if you can relate, please post up.

What's your hair type?
How long is your hair?
What styles do you wear? Pics would be awesome!!
Products?
What are your ultimate hair goals?
Etc?

Feel free to share any information that you feel will help or any questions that you may have. This could be our little hang out spot.

Last edited by KnottyKinkyMommy on 2nd February 2011, 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
KnottyKinkyMommy
KnottyKinkyMommy

Back to top Go down

Outgrown Your TWA?  Well come on in... Empty Re: Outgrown Your TWA? Well come on in...

Post by Sebastain13 29th November 2010, 4:57 pm

I feel like Im still in my TWA stage but I know that it gets difficult because you dont know what to do with your hair
I read the post wrong I did not answer the questions Embarassed

Hair type is 4b-c Im not sure but its kinky when not in a style
Hair lenght 4 in
Hair styles two strand twist finger coils cornrows curly fro
Products UFD Extra Butter Darcy Botanicals Avocado&Wild Plum twisting cream Madagascar Vanilla styling creme Coconut&Cupuacu Butter natural hair pomade MyHoneyChild Olive You! Deep conditioner
Hair goals I really have not thought about it My hair is healthy right now & want to keep it that way I feel that I am still learning so much about my hair as well as myself What a Face

Last edited by Sebastain13 on 23rd December 2010, 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Outgrown Your TWA?  Well come on in... Empty Re: Outgrown Your TWA? Well come on in...

Post by BlakButterfli 30th November 2010, 4:16 pm

KnottyKinkyMommy wrote:I've recently outgrown the TWA phase and I now have about 4 inches of hair all around. I'm at an awkward phase where I don't exactly know what to do with my hair in regards to styles. Its at this point where I always perm or cut my hair but I am determined to get through this phase this time.

So, I'm just curious as to who else is in the same boat as me. Are their any of you out there with 4-6 inches of hair? Please tell me I'm not the only one who is going through the awkward length phase. I don't know if this would necessarily be a challenge as opposed to a support group. But if you can relate, please post up.

What's your hair type? My hair type is mostly 4a. There's some kinds of loose curl at the back of my head, but I'm hesitant to call it a 3 anything - a looser 4a I guess.
How long is your hair? My hair ranges from 5" - 6" when stretched.
What styles do you wear? Pics would be awesome!![/b] I wear a lot of twist outs or I do WnG's.
Products? Ok, I'm trying to narrow down a routine. LOL DC on Sundays w/ AOHSR and do a Henna 1x a month. I am currently using Darcy's Botanicals Plum and Avocado Twisting Creame for my twistouts, sealing with Coconut Oil. A few times a week (when I remember) I rub Wild Growth Hair Oil (yes the stinky stuff) no my scalp.
What are your ultimate hair goals? I want my hair to GROW! It's very fine and I am really wanting it to get past my shoulders, which seems impossible right now.
Etc?[/b] I am also taking Biotin and have cut out soday as of 11/29. I have started to work out at least 3x a week and hope this also contributes to growth.

Feel free to share any information that you feel will help or any questions that you may have. This could be our little hang out spot.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by Karameldiva1978 1st December 2010, 1:51 am

KnottyKinkyMommy wrote:I've recently outgrown the TWA phase and I now have about 4 inches of hair all around. I'm at an awkward phase where I don't exactly know what to do with my hair in regards to styles. Its at this point where I always perm or cut my hair but I am determined to get through this phase this time.

So, I'm just curious as to who else is in the same boat as me. Are their any of you out there with 4-6 inches of hair? Please tell me I'm not the only one who is going through the awkward length phase. I don't know if this would necessarily be a challenge as opposed to a support group. But if you can relate, please post up.

No ma'am I'm here to say, you are definitely NOT alone on this one.

What's your hair type? I am 4a with some strange 3ish like curls sparingly.
How long is your hair? When stretched, the back sits at the top of my shoulders, all the other layers are still short around my face. I'm in the 4 inch and some 5 inch in the middle range.
What styles do you wear? Pics would be awesome!! I only twist or cornrow and wig it. I have a nice wig collection and I just got Outre's Tammy and one called Gail (fell in love with this one). So I'm gonna stick with those through winter. dance
Products? I deep condition with Aussie Moist, use Kimmaytube's leave in and twist with JC Nourish & Shine and ORS Lock & Twist gel.
What are your ultimate hair goals? I really just want a huge afro and a gorgeous twist out or braid out. afro That would be about APL stretched. I miss wearing my hair out and down b/c it's so short right now. I'm determined to stick this through though and see what healthy lengths I can attain.
Etc?

I think we could just band together and support one another to stick this out. We are slowly but surely making it through the rough patches, one week and one month at a time.
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 1st December 2010, 1:34 pm

I feel like my hair is at an awkward stage right now too. Wash n go's are not an option anymore. I've joined CrissyQ and Kinkynappyhappy on their 10 week twist challenge. We're staying twisted for 5 days then out for 2 days.

What's your hair type?

How long is your hair?

4 inches

What styles do you wear?

Lately I've been wearing a combination of cornrows and twists. Check out my fotki or CSJ: http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14/latoya28-t2884-550.htm#176447

Products?

Queen helene cholesterol and oils (prepoo);
Suave Clarifying poo; Aubrey Organics White Camellia condish (DC); Pantene R&N (cowash, detangler); KBN butters, Donna Mac Juicy Creamy Styling gel, Shescentit Green grape leave-in, CD Hair Balm & Mimosa Hair honey, etc (stylers)

To grow, grow, grow healthy, strong hair!

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 1st December 2010, 2:09 pm

What's your hair type? 4a with with some 3 at the crown.
How long is your hair? 5 inches
What styles do you wear? Pics would be awesome!! For the winter I am flat twisting and wearing wigs. I just ordered a new one today. (BTW, I am wearing the Outre Gail now. I agree that it is lovely.)
Products? I cowash with any of the Suave Natural conditioners. Deep conditioners vary between HH, ORS or Giovanni SAS.
What are your ultimate hair goals? A big, healthy, fro by summer 2011. We'll see.
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 1st December 2010, 2:12 pm

i feel like right now i may be in the same boat as you @knottykinkymommy b/c i have a twa (i think) but the reason why i question if i am still in the twa stage is b/c it's about 4 inches stretched out and i don't really know how to style my hair either besides maybe a wash-n-go and that's irritating b/c my hair feels yucky when i put gel in it b/c it feels cold; anyhow, i always wear a protective style lately b/c it does feel kinda awkward right now, plus i'm waiting for my hair to grow out more Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by newcurlieque 3rd December 2010, 5:53 pm

I'm at the awkward stage myself..this thread is right on time!

What's your hair type? 4a I think
How long is your hair? 4 inches
What styles do you wear? Pics would be awesome!! I mostly wear twists/twist outs
Products? I'm a bit of a recovering pj so that would be a long list but I recently started using SheaMoisture Deep Treatment mask as a styler for twists and I love it! I shampoo with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and condish with Aussie Moist, Organix Coconut Milk, V05, etc.
What are your ultimate hair goals? Healthy hair
Etc? I'm on a quest to grow the nape area back out cause I got a "trim" 3 weeks ago and somehow that part ended up tapered??? Suspect
newcurlieque
newcurlieque

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 4th December 2010, 11:48 pm

Hi Ladies,
My hair is in an in between stage too so I could use some styling help during this phase.
Hair Type:Not really sure, but if I had to choose, I'd say in the 4s.
Hair length: 4 1-2 inches in the front 5 inches in the back.
Styles:[b] Wngs, Twist outs
Products: All over the place and still trying new ones, but the ones I use most consistenly are:
1. Giovanni Direct leave in
2. Giovanni SAS ([poo & condish) & 50:50 or Trader Joes TTT (poo & condish)
3. Vatika oil

4. Eco OO Gel
5. DB Coiling Jelly
Goals:[b] Retain Length
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by SwanLakeLibra 5th December 2010, 5:40 pm

What's your hair type? My hair type is mostly 4a & very loose 4a in the back.

How long is your hair? My hair ranges from 3" to 4" when stretched.

What styles do you wear? Pics would be awesome!! "See Avatar" I wear a lot of mini finger coils & wigs underneath coils.

Products? 1) Beautiful Curls (Sheabutter Shampoo) 1x weekly. 2) Suave Naturals Daily Clarifying Conditioner w/Extra Virgin Olive, Coconut, & Avocado Oils (Co-Wash & DC) 1x to 2x weekly. 3) KCKT Leave-In seal w/oils above (daily) or Sheabutter mix with above oils (1x to 2x weekly as needed).
3) Modified Kimmaytube daily spray (Distilled water, KCKT, oils listed above, EO Rosemary, Peppermint & Sweet Orange) 4) Super Wet Gel (a no protein gel) diluted with distilled water and mixed with above oils for finger coiling 1x weekly) 5) Henna 1x a month (Jamila BAQ). I have learned that I am protein sensitive, and my hair hates glyercine, aloe vera and jojoba oil.

What are your ultimate hair goals? I want healthy BIG hair!!! I miss my long hair so badly.

Etc. I have had to do 2 BC (knots & split-ends) since I sent natural in April 09. I have learned so much about what works and does not during these trials and errors. Most importantly, I have learned that what works for one head or hair type (even if the same hair type) does not work for all. But I am a true believer of "protective styles & sealing ends" no matter what hair type you are (WnGs are NOT my friend). I would have more growth had I followed CN advice. Ladies, I planned to follow this Outgrown Your TWA Challenge.
SwanLakeLibra
SwanLakeLibra

Back to top Go down

Post by luvmycoils 7th December 2010, 12:59 am

KnottyKinkyMommy wrote:
My hair is definitely in that akward stage right now. It's hard because I'm still figuring out what works for my hair and I do not always have the patience and time that is required to try new styles.

What's your hair type? 3c/4a-ish I would guess. It does not take much to define the curls in the front and very back of my hair. Most of the time the middle sections of my hair just do their own thing Laughing .

How long is your hair? 4.5-5.5 inches It's longer in the back.
What styles do you wear? Pics would be awesome!! I mostly wear my hair out with headbands or puffs. I have experiemented with buns using extensions that match the texture of my hair. Last year after my BC, I wore my hair braided underneath wigs a lot since it gets cold where I live. I might try this again since I achieved a lot of growth this way.

Products? I'm still experiementing but my favorite products include Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Conditioner, EVOO, Shortening (just tried using it seal last night and my hair has been so soft and moisturized today), ACV, and John Frieda Frizz Ease Secret Weapon.

What are your ultimate hair goals? I would love to reach APL by the end of 2011.
Etc?

My favorite place to get hair style ideas besides here is YouTube. Even though I do not copy the styles exactly, I find that looking at the images of other women with natural hair is so inspiriing. I never regret having natural hair and after my first full year of being natural I can honestly say that I love my hair (including the frizziness and shrinkage).
luvmycoils
luvmycoils

Back to top Go down

Post by MissNaturalBeautii 8th December 2010, 2:43 am

What's your hair type? somewhere in the 4's, i think 4a & 4b
How long is your hair? 4 inches
What styles do you wear? Pics would be awesome!! I have only worn my hair with a headband like my avatar pic, I'm very busy and it works for me for now (i figure i should enjoy not doing much to my hair while i can get away with it). I did my first twist out today so maybe that will spark some new styles for me
Products? I mainly use Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner for deep conditioning, Aussie Moist for Co washes, Giovanni Direct Leave, KKNT, or Kimmaytubes Leave In recipe (i love this). For everyday moisture i spray with H2O and put ORS olive oil moisturizer. I will use different oils and baggy my hair at night (sometimes). Thats about it.
What are your ultimate hair goals? To have thick, healthy hair and a humongous fro...lol
Etc?
MissNaturalBeautii
MissNaturalBeautii

Back to top Go down

Post by KnottyKinkyMommy 11th December 2010, 9:21 pm

Sorry for the uber late reply but I am glad to see that I am not the only one battling this phase.

At this point, I am trying to master finger coils, which have been a disaster every time. If you all have any tips, please weigh in. Also, I have seen many a youtube video on coils but I still just can't get it. scratch
KnottyKinkyMommy
KnottyKinkyMommy

Back to top Go down

Post by Berry3674 18th December 2010, 2:34 pm

I am currently 7 months natural. And totally getting tired of my twa.

What's your hair type? 4a with looser coils in the back
How long is your hair? shortest point is about 4 inches, longest close to 6 inches
What styles do you wear? Pics would be awesome!! I wear a wash and go puff or straight up afro puff
Products? I love my s curl activator, also use ecostyler gel. I'm currently in the castor oil challenge so I use jbco on my scalp and hair every few days.
What are your ultimate hair goals? long, strong, healthy hair. Relaxed I was nearly apl so I'd like to surpass that.

Could someone plz tell me how to upload pics?! Thanks ladiess
Berry3674
Berry3674

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 18th December 2010, 3:04 pm

Hi ladies!

I love that y'all are so supportive of each other! I just want to make sure you have been to http://hairliberty.org. I've written lots of articles and tutorials that can help with awkward stages like this. Whatever you do, don't get discouraged. IMHO, products make all the difference in getting through different length hurdles. If you don't love the way your hair looks and feels, try some of the product suggestions on Hair Liberty. There's no need to settle. Good luck!
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Berry3674 18th December 2010, 3:53 pm

Ok here's my starting pic. This is a wng puff from about a week ago. I will upload one every month just to compare.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Berry3674
Berry3674

Back to top Go down

Post by tressedforsuccess 18th December 2010, 7:56 pm

I'm so glad I found this thread! My answers below:

What's your hair type?

How long is your hair?

Ear length on the sides, neck length in the back. The back grows faster than the top, so I fear a mullet situation is happening.

What styles do you wear?

I usually wear an afro or a wash 'n' go, but I've recently started experimenting with twistouts because it's too cold to leave the house with a wet head.

Afro

Wash and Go
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] (forgive the weird shape and hairs sticking up. I had some hairpins in and I took them out before I took this picture.)

2 strand twist out (only tried once. Liked it and it lasted for 4 days. I did it on soaking wet hair, so there was a lot of shrinkage)

Flat twist out (my 1st one! I tried it for my holiday party and it came out pretty good. Did it on dry hair for maximum length.)

Products?
Low-Poo: Aussie Cleanse & Mend
Shampoo: KKCC
Conditioners: Jane Carter Nutrient Replenishing conditioner
DT: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Hair Masque
WnG: Giovanni Direct layered over conditioner or KKKC/KKKKT for maximum hold/multiple day
Twist-outs: Shea Moisture Hair Milk and Shine and Hold Spray

-Shoulder length unstretched.
-Healthy hair.
-I'm trying to develop a better winter routine and to be more consistent with taking care of my hair. (Translation...stop being lazy!)
tressedforsuccess
tressedforsuccess

Back to top Go down

Post by Berry3674 23rd December 2010, 2:27 pm

This weekend I am going to attempt my first twistout ever! Actually it will be my first style ever besides a wng! I can't braid and I'm very impatient so this is my only option. Should I do flat twists or maybe try a twist and curl? Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, production suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks
Berry3674
Berry3674

Back to top Go down

Post by catcurls 27th December 2010, 11:56 pm

Here's a couple of protective styles I created to wear to work for this winter and now they've become my staple go to styles. I've been wearing them since October. The back crown of my hair is the shortest so I wanted to come up with a style to protect that particular area allowing for the maximum growth i could during the winter months. Also, I stretch my hair after smoothing on the butter mixture by braiding and do the twist out and curl on top only. I poo on weekends and co-wash during the week. I also use a cucumber, avocado and sour cream moisturizing pre-poo before weekday co-wash. Hope this helps someone!
Hair Type:
3b in back 5in
3c on top 5in
4a sides and crown 3-4 inches
Using aloe butter or horsetail butter (now) mixed with kckt, castor oil, aloe gel to smooth and for style.
Seal with raw coconut oil or jojoba
Poo - Shea Moisture Retention Therapy
Condish Yes to Cucumbers and Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose
Henna with Indigo mixed once a month

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by DivaDreamgirl 28th December 2010, 12:15 pm

Hey ladies!

What's your hair type? 4a/b/c... I'm not really sure, I just know I have a big mixture!
How long is your hair? 5-5.5" at the crown, 4.5-5" everywhere else
What styles do you wear? Pics would be awesome!! Check out my CSJ for pics. I typically wash my hair once a week or as needed. I usually only poo if I'm doing a DT (every other week or as needed). Roller sets are my staple style then on days 3-7 they turn into bantu knot outs, twist outs, puffs and whatever else I can make neat without washing! I have yet to master a decent wash-n-go so I don't do them unless I have NOWHERE to go!

Products? These are the products in my rotation. I alternate depending on how I feel that day!

Pre-poo: AO HoneySuckle Rose/EVOO
Poo: Dr. Bronners Castile Soap, DevaCurl No-Poo
Co-wash: HEHH, HETT, YTCucumbers, YTTomatoes, Aussie Moist
DT: JBCO poo/DC (forgot the brand...island something!), CD Tui Hair Smoothie
Leave-in: Kimmaytube
Stylers: Bee Mine Curly Butter, Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Smoothie, My personal shea whip concoction (Unrefined shea butter, Aloe Vera Juice, a few drops of tea tree and peppermint and 1 tsp each of any oil I can find!)
Sealants/Styling aids: Jojoba, water, CD Tui Jojoba and Shea Butter Sheen

I also alternate between shea butter and eco styler to smooth my edges.

What are your ultimate hair goals? My hair is super healthy now that I'm natural so I just want to keep that up and hopefully one day reach BSL just to say I did it!
DivaDreamgirl
DivaDreamgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by KnottyKinkyMommy 28th December 2010, 10:21 pm

Nice hair pics ladies.

I'm still in twists and struggling with these comb coils.

KnottyKinkyMommy
KnottyKinkyMommy

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 29th December 2010, 11:00 pm

^Your twists are beautiful!
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by KnottyKinkyMommy 30th December 2010, 1:22 am

^^Thanks so much! dance
KnottyKinkyMommy
KnottyKinkyMommy

Back to top Go down

Post by ChardaeD 31st January 2011, 2:17 am

What's your hair type?
4A/4B (I think)
How long is your hair?
4-5 inches
Twist outs! I like to part my hair on the side when I unravel the twists, or sometimes put a headband on. My new thing is flat twisting the front across my head to make a headband. That's super cute. I also like to pin it up into a fauxhawk style on the weekends. In general I'm pretty conservative as I work in a corporate setting.
Products?
For twist out: Kinky Curly Knot Today, Jojoba Oil, Aloe Gel
I shampoo with a SLS-free product, and use Hello Hydration condish, which once a week I mix with honey and sweet almond oil for a DC.
I want to grow thick, healthy hair! I'd like to grow another six inches this year, and I think once it gets to mid-back I'll be content with that length. I used to have long hair, and I'd like for it to get back to that length, but just healthier!
Etc?
Bobby pins are a girl's best friend.
ChardaeD
ChardaeD

http://girlnotondeadline.blgospot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyGirly9 1st February 2011, 4:36 pm

What's your hair type?
I have no clue
How long is your hair?
5 inches all around
I wear lots of buns right now. I love buns!! sometimes I wear a twist out in a half updo, cornrow outs, and puffs
Products?
I wash with carol's daughter shampoo, condition with HE hello Hydration, deep condition with organics cholesterol and tea tree oil. Sometimes I leave the deep condish in or I use knot today leave in, miss jessies curly meringue (love the product hate the scent) or kinky curly curling custard for wash-n-go's. As of right now I only use hollywood beauty carrot creme as a moisturizer, and krystal eco-styler. I'm a pj so there's a lot more things that I use but it may take up the whole page lol, but these are my main products.
Hair goals
grow APL again and have healthy hair

Twst out (sorry about the angles I had to take these pics myself)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]

[You must be
registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by NaturallyCurlyGirly9 on 14th February 2011, 4:42 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added pics)
CurlyGirly9
CurlyGirly9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum