CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please Help Me "Hair Type"

+3
Thetruthisoutthere
LittleOne
MokikaStyle
7 posters

Go down

Please Help Me "Hair Type" Empty Please Help Me "Hair Type"

Post by MokikaStyle 24th November 2010, 1:34 pm

Yes, I understand that EVERYBODY's hair is diffrent and it cannot be neatly categorized. And I also understand that my true texture will not appear until I chop of ALL of my relaxer but I wanted some opinions.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.](34 weeks post) More Pictures.
MokikaStyle
MokikaStyle

http://public.fotki.com/MokikaStyle/

Back to top Go down

Please Help Me "Hair Type" Empty Re: Please Help Me "Hair Type"

Post by LittleOne 24th November 2010, 4:36 pm

Hmmm...I would say you're a 1, but see what you get....

http://www.hairliberty.org/black-hair-care/hair-id/
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 24th November 2010, 11:07 pm

Hi MokikaStyle,

I believe you're an Andre Walker 4b or 4c. And your hair is gorgeous!

LittleOne, thanks for posting such a great site!
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 25th November 2010, 12:43 am

Hmmm maybe 4a/4b
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 26th November 2010, 5:22 pm

Here are links to photos on Nikki's homepage (see Nov 26 & Nov 25). These ladies have 3c and 4a curl pattern.

This picture of Jess (MahoganyCurls) appears to demonstrate 3c - 4a curls. Jess stated this was a wash-n-go. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CHQ_Kq9bMIc/TOl10FX_vsI/AAAAAAAAKN4/unmTShJTrGI/s1600/loveit.jpg

This picture of Ebony appears to demonstrate 4a curls. This is a stretched twistout style. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CHQ_Kq9bMIc/TO2FGtmm9UI/AAAAAAAAKQ4/LyxGUH4GHJ0/s1600/DSC_0033.jpg

How often did you relax? Could you stretch your relaxer touch ups to 8 to 12 weeks without tangling and breakage at the roots?

hth
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by MokikaStyle 26th November 2010, 6:17 pm

Thetruthisoutthere wrote:
How often did you relax? Could you stretch your relaxer touch ups to 8 to 12 weeks without tangling and breakage at the roots?

I relaxed every 6 to 8 weeks faithfully for years.Right before my transition I did a 16 week stretch (November-March). I can't remember all they way back then but for the most part I haven't had major breakage. I'm definitely starting to get tangles now seeing as I'm 35 weeks post relaxer. I need help combating the tangles pale I seriously need to start reducing heat NOW. I gave up my Dominican blowouts. I'd be too disappointed if I transitioned for months only to find out my curl pattern is damaged .
MokikaStyle
MokikaStyle

Back to top Go down

Post by MokikaStyle 26th November 2010, 6:18 pm

Thank You everyone who has replied so far Smile
MokikaStyle
MokikaStyle

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 26th November 2010, 7:21 pm

Id say 4b/4c as well..when do u plan on BC
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by MokikaStyle 26th November 2010, 7:39 pm

rayray19 wrote:Id say 4b/4c as well..when do u plan on BC
Hopefully sometime in March (that will be 12months post) but at this rate it could easily happen well after or before March,
MokikaStyle
MokikaStyle

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 26th November 2010, 8:22 pm

I'm definitely starting to get tangles now seeing as I'm 35 weeks post relaxer. I need help combating the tangles... I seriously need to start reducing heat NOW.

Tell us about your regimen. How often are you manipulating your hair & what products are you using?

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Smooth Jazz Luvr 27th November 2010, 12:51 am

Thanks for the question. I've wondered about this as well. Relative to determining your hair type, do you do this: when your hair is wet or dry? If wet, then before or after shampoo? If dry, then would this be obviously air drying? If you wear your hair in a protective style for a while, then would your hair become "trained" so to speak - and would this alter the pattern of your hair, then you would think it's one type, when it's really another?

Smooth Jazz Luvr

Back to top Go down

Post by MokikaStyle 27th November 2010, 10:11 am

FalconTress wrote:Tell us about your regimen. How often are you manipulating your hair & what products are you using?

My regimen is terrible I've been using direct heat on my hair every 2 to 4 weeks. Right now I actually have in a few track, when those are removed I think I'm goin to try a braid out. I'm afraid that half of my hair is going to shrivel up and the rest is going to be limp. I'm debating whether or not I'm going to ask my hairstylist to braid (cornrow) my hair so that I can have a braid-out. I only know how to flat-twist but, I need practice making them "tidier". long story short I'm on the hunt for a sulphate free shampoo, I'm using thermasmooth faithfully and I manipulate my hair via heat every 2 to 4 weeks. When I air dry my hair looks a mess. How do people Wash N' Go?! I'm considering taking my tracks out today and getting full curly one so that my hair will get a break from heat or maybe just leaving my tracks out and trying some braid outs and such. My hair is seriously about the same length as the tracks in some parts (10 "in) but I'm not sure it can compete in thickness and my weave has slight highlights. I'm definitely going to work on getting a trim to get rid of some more relaxed ends Very Happy
MokikaStyle
MokikaStyle

Back to top Go down

Post by MokikaStyle 27th November 2010, 10:20 am

Smooth Jazz Luvr wrote:Thanks for the question. I've wondered about this as well. Relative to determining your hair type, do you do this: when your hair is wet or dry? If wet, then before or after shampoo? If dry, then would this be obviously air drying? If you wear your hair in a protective style for a while, then would your hair become "trained" so to speak - and would this alter the pattern of your hair, then you would think it's one type, when it's really another?

I'm transitioning and I always look at my curl pattern when it's wet but before I style it and manipulate the texture by combing it.
I comb my hair while it is still wet so that it doesn't tangle too much while it dries. In my opinion "curls" seem more defined when the hair is wet. When I'm fully natural I would like to see my hair curly both wait and dry. I do not think shampoo alters my hair texture nearly as much as conditioner. In my opinion wet hair is wet hair and it helps to cancel out the effects of any temporary manipulation. As long as you don't manipulate through your hair while it's wet your texture should show up. A lot of people BC when their hair is wet because they can clearly distinguish between the two textures on their head.
MokikaStyle
MokikaStyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 27th November 2010, 1:17 pm

I believe I am 4c. My hair has no "curl pattern", is tightly coiled, and has extreme shrinkage when dry. When I wash and go, it does NOT form ringlets. It is just there, soft, frizzy and cottony!

I cannot "train" my hair. How do you define training?

I have heard training described as;

1. Applying heat to make the coils stretch out

2. Applying texturizer to make the coils stretch out

3. Repeatedly brushing until the coils stretch out (think of brushing your hair into a wavy bun)

I believe 1 and 2 are damaging, and 3 will revert as soon as your hair is wet again.

My hair is penspring coily and training would be similar to stretching out a penspring. My hair will NOT uncoil into a looser, wider coil. It's in my hair's DNA, what you see is what you get.

That said, Nikki's posts have all kinds of sulfate free recommendations. Check the links at the bottom of the homepage. See "Curly Nikki's Fav Products". Also look at her 11/24/2010 post, "Budget Friendly Natural hair products". I rely on a slippery conditioner to detangle (I won't comb my hair while it's dry - the snapping and breaking would be off the charts!), and using a gentle shampoo that won't strip. I co-wash between shampoos. Consider pre-poos with a hot oil treatment on your dry hair 30min to an hour prior to shampooing.

Please consider protective styles - there are many you can try. Check Nikki's Video Tabs.

With your hair at 10 inches, you could employ Nikki's twist and curl, or you can try Zan and Rob's satin ribbon twist out. She has texlaxed hair, and her method appears to do a good job on curling the skinny ends. She has many vidoes with multiple ways of doing her ribbon twistout. Here's a link. http://zanandrob.com/

My hair is tapered from 3 to five inches, and I do a modified twist-n-curl twistout. I twist and tuck the ends at the nape, twist and bobby pin the middle areas and sides, and I twist and apply perm rods to the tips of the hair at the crown for length and curl. In the morning I uncoil them, apply an oil and fluff the roots for volume. This lasts two to three days wrapped in a satin bonnet. I have used Cantu Conditioning Leave in, Giovanni Leave in, and am currently trying CD Hair milk. The key is to not use too much, or your hair won't be dry in the am and your twistout will frizz. I must update my avatar, this was a failed overnight twistout with SheaMoisture smoothie and milk. I applied it too heavily, it didn't set as thoroughly as I'd liked, and frizzed by the end of the day.

At this point, I can only tell you what worked (or didn't work for me). You will find so much kindness and support on these forums.

Be blessed!

Last edited by Thetruthisoutthere on 27th November 2010, 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : speling eror)
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 27th November 2010, 3:57 pm

Thetruthisoutthere wrote:Hi MokikaStyle,

I believe you're an Andre Walker 4b or 4c. And your hair is gorgeous!

LittleOne, thanks for posting such a great site!

@Thetruthisoutthere - thanks, glad you like it! Smile
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Smooth Jazz Luvr 29th November 2010, 4:00 am

Thetruth, thanks for the response! Sorry for the delay -- holiday activities. By train - and perhaps I used the wrong word (couldn't think of anything else) - I'm asking if you wear your hair in one style (say twist) all the time, a long time, then would your hair show that curl pattern? Hope this makes sense. Lots of times I know what I'm trying to say, but can't get it across to others (dang gone-it!) LOL

Smooth Jazz Luvr

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 29th November 2010, 9:07 am

I think u have dome 3c in there too
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 29th November 2010, 11:05 pm

Can't honestly answer that question - I do overnight twist-outs and wash twice weekly.

As evidenced by so many posters and YouTubers, your hair should hold the curl pattern up until your next wash. Twists cannot break and reset hair bonds like a perm or relaxer does. It's like roller setting your hair. Once it gets wet, it reverts...

HTH
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down