CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair type...

+10
Hollis
krenea
sweetdrk1
Curly Film Chick
SheeTacular
SpiderBeauty
d.denise
satindoll
Afrosaxon
CurlyDoesIt...
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hair type... Empty Hair type...

Post by CurlyDoesIt... 27th October 2009, 2:30 pm

Ok...so I am NOT sure what my hair type is. From the reading and information I have received from this website and others I am assuming I am a 3c or 4a? I keep trying to compare my locks w/pics of other curlies, but I just DON'T KNOW. Is there a sure-fire way to tell??? Thanks in advance ladies for any response(s) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CurlyDoesIt...
CurlyDoesIt...

Back to top Go down

Hair type... Empty Re: Hair type...

Post by Afrosaxon 28th October 2009, 8:03 pm

Mee too! I think im a 3b-c? what yall think?
Afrosaxon
Afrosaxon

Back to top Go down

Post by satindoll 29th October 2009, 4:02 pm

The best way to tell your hair type is to wash and condition your hair and let it air dry with no product or manipulation. Your hair will be able to shape itself in its natural texture/curls and you'll be able to compare it to other curlies and get an idea of your type.

@Afrosaxon I think you're a 3b too
satindoll
satindoll

http://public.fotki.com/buttaflyy23

Back to top Go down

Post by Afrosaxon 29th October 2009, 5:14 pm

Wow thats a great idea! Its so simple! THANKS ALOT!
I can get weighed down realy easy, so depending on product i can be a 3c or a 2c-3a..weird I know!
Afrosaxon
Afrosaxon

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyDoesIt... 29th October 2009, 5:46 pm

Thank you for taking the time respond...appreciate the advise. Will try that over the weekend!!! I am thinking I am definitely a 3c like Rachel True...Thanks Satindoll [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CurlyDoesIt...
CurlyDoesIt...

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 29th October 2009, 6:06 pm

I still don't know what my type is either Sad I have straightened/pressed it so much in the last year I don't think the curls I have are my "natural" curl patter. I think I will just post pics of my hair one day and let you guys tell me. Yall know more about this hair care than I do.
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Hair type... Empty My hair type? I have no idea!

Post by SpiderBeauty 30th October 2009, 5:05 pm

Hi Y'all!

Last edited by SpiderBeauty on 25th May 2010, 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
SpiderBeauty
SpiderBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 30th October 2009, 5:55 pm

I'm gonna post a pic the next time i wash my hair maybe you ladies can help me out too.
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 30th October 2009, 11:46 pm

I find the curl-typing thing confusing...I think I have a 3C-4A mix, but I really don't think about it too much because I'm not sure how much use I have for it personally
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyDoesIt... 31st October 2009, 10:31 am

Curly Film Chick...I use to not care too, but after years of using all the Wrong products on my hair, I think knowing our texture allows use to learn, find and use the Rights ones...I have left alone old favorites: brown gel, petroleum riddens products (many of the ones mainstreamed by corporations with no care/clue for OUR hair...) etc. These old products left my hair dry, hard, greasy... I have experimented with minority owned product makers Smile, organic and other products I would have never known about if I wasn't trying to learn my texture, but I am convinced I am a 3c/4a mix (like yourself Wink) I am using lighter products that are making my hair so soft...i.e. a moisturizing jelly (found at Whole Foods), coconut oil is showing great promise...Just bought some and it sooo much lighter than olive oil and shea butter. I think coconut oil will be perfect for our hair type [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by RubyD on 31st October 2009, 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo errors...)
CurlyDoesIt...
CurlyDoesIt...

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 31st October 2009, 10:54 am

I agree Ruby D, coconut oil is absolutely the best thing for my hair [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and Shea butter is a hit and miss with me as well. but the whole curl typing thing just gets overwhelming for me. I have been natural my whole life but was never really able to get to know my hair because my mom did it and never allowed me to even wash it lol. Anyway, I got to know my hair not through the typing system, but through experimentation and understanding certain things about hair, like how porous it is, whether my hair is fine (its not) and how when it gets dry (in the winter) and whether I'm protein sensitive (which I really am) I find those things helped me more then my curl type.
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyDoesIt... 31st October 2009, 12:34 pm

Wink I am still am not certain about what "porous" means to my hair or whether my hair is fine or course (I want to say both)...but like you said, trial and error is ultimately the best test on what is good for your hair regardless of type. Thanks for responding and I am LOVING the coconut oil. I bought some cocunut butter and I can't wait to taste it!!!
CurlyDoesIt...
CurlyDoesIt...

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 1st November 2009, 11:40 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]ok here it is..now what type am I ladies? this is my wet hair and it pretty much dries this way..just shrinks a bit more. Thanks for the help ladies!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 1st November 2009, 11:52 pm

3b-c?
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 1st November 2009, 11:53 pm

thanks sis!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 2nd November 2009, 12:19 am

I'm not sure what my type is either, anyway you guys could tell from my avatar?
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 2nd November 2009, 1:22 am

I would say 3a-b. Looks like wavy, loose curls to me!
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by satindoll 2nd November 2009, 4:44 pm

@sweetdrk1 I would say 3c

@Hollis I agree with Krenea, it looks like 3a-b to me

Curly typing is pretty much a way to get to know what products may/may not work in your hair. On some hair product websites like Blended Beauty and Hair Rules, they give you their products that work best on certain types of hair. It can also help on forums such as this when you're asking for advice. What works well on some hair types may not work as well for others.

I haven't really had a great use for knowing my hair type. I've tried products, styles, etc on my hair that other hair types have used, it's all about trial and error when it comes to your hair.
satindoll
satindoll

http://public.fotki.com/buttaflyy23

Back to top Go down

Post by afroseoulista 2nd November 2009, 7:12 pm

@ Ruby D- I don’t know if I agree! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] You look like a 3b to me…3c is like a stir stick size curl, 3b is pencil or straw…in my opinion they are definitely bigger than a stir stick. And we definitely do have different textures going on so you may very well be fine and coarse. The back of my crown is the driest and coarsest area for me!

@Afrosaxon- I think you are more like a 3b, maybe you have some 3c areas but I see mostly 3b.

@d.denise- you probably won’t be able to tell your true hair texture until you grow out the pressed length…the heat damage has probably dried it out and has definitely changed the texture. Do you plan on B.C. or are you going to go more gradual?

@sweetdrk1- I think you are a 3c/4a- but mostly 3c…stir stick size ringlets. Very pretty!

@Hollis- I agree with kernea and satindoll. I would say 3a
afroseoulista
afroseoulista

Back to top Go down

Post by veggiegirl314 2nd November 2009, 10:04 pm

I never understood the whole hair typing phenomenon. With trial and error, I've found certain ingredients that work for me, and certain ones that don't. There are products that 4b and 4c ladies swear by that work for me. There are products that 3a and 3b ladies swear by that work for me.
veggiegirl314
veggiegirl314

http://www.twitter.com/veggiegirl314

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 2nd November 2009, 10:56 pm

I think that it may also stem from the whole "good hair/bad hair" phenomenon, too. We can't seem to let go of that, so we're just classifying it in a new way.

On the other hand, I do think that there is something to it in terms of what works in general for certain hair types. I think it is more important to focus on other classifications such as porosity, thickness of individual strands, health of the hair in general, etc. There so many factors that affect which products are effective for each individual. For example, those who have low porosity will find that their hair does not absorb and retain moisture/water very well. Therefore, it's important to be sure to moisturize/spritz as often as needed, even if it's several times per day. If you frequently manipulate your hair/use heat, you may find that your hair requires more protein treatments to keep the cuticles healthy. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything, ladies!)

It really is important to learn about what works for your own hair. My neice, veggiegirl, summed it up without being long-winded like myself! Take it from her, she's a chemist! drunken

Last edited by krenea on 3rd November 2009, 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors!)
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 2nd November 2009, 10:56 pm

Look at that family resemblance! Razz
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 3rd November 2009, 12:12 am

krenea wrote:I think that it may also stem from the whole "good hair/bad hair" phenomenon, too. We can't seem to let go of that, so we're just classifying it in a new way.

On the other hand, I do think that there is something to it in terms of what works in general for certain hair types. I think it is more important to focus on other classifications such as porsity, thickness of individual strands, health of the hair in general, etc. There so many factors that affect which products are effective for each individual. For example, those who have low porsity will find that their hair does not absorb and retain moisture/water very well. Therefore, it's important to be sure to moisturize/spritz as often as needed, even if it's several times per day. If you frequently manipulate your hair/use heat, you may find that your hair requires more protein treatments to keep the cuticles healthy. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything, ladies!)

It really is important to learn about what works for your own hair. My niece, veggiegirl, summed it up without being longwinded like myself! Take it from her, she's a chemist! drunken

I agree, that's why I don't make the curl-typing thing my life
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 3rd November 2009, 12:20 am

thanks for the feedback ladies!! I love all the types...keep it curly!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 3rd November 2009, 2:37 am

Keep it curly..I agree! We have our own little hair sorority, Girls! Curly Sisters for Life! afro I'm with sweetdrk1...I love all types!

Last edited by krenea on 3rd November 2009, 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Can't spell tonight...Must be the extra hour of sleep! LOL!)
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next