CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you all do your trims?

+2
Madeaj
yacoomba
6 posters

Go down

How do you all do your trims? Empty How do you all do your trims?

Post by yacoomba 11th November 2010, 9:50 pm

I have a question about the trimming since everyone is trimming little by little instead of BC all at once. My last trim was in June by hairdresser (actually I had her cut my hair to a chin length bob). As you can imagine its grown out and looking a bit scraggly. I haven't been back to her since then because I do my own hair mainly. How do you all trim your hair(professionally or yourselves)? If you do it yourself... In twist or straightened hair? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

How do you all do your trims? Empty Re: How do you all do your trims?

Post by Madeaj 11th November 2010, 10:48 pm

I trim my hair in twists. I just cut off little bits. The bent ends that won't curl, the ssk etc. I figured I'd have to trim while it was straight or at least blown out. When I did blow it out, I was surprised to see my hair was pretty evenly cut from the dustings I did.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 11th November 2010, 11:42 pm

I usually go to a stylist to trim my hair. I have dusted my ends myself on occasion when I feel that my ends look bad, but I do not trust myself to cut off an inch or two without thinking that my hair will be uneven when I go to straighten my hair. I just don't fully trust myself with a pair of scissors.
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by jenerett 13th November 2010, 2:33 am

Hairtstylists have given me bad trims for a year straight so in September I decided to trim myself. Surprisingly its gone pretty good. I've trimmed wet and blowdryed. Trimming wet takes longer and is more difficult to keep the hair pulled taut but it comes out just as good as trimming when dry. Just make sure you take it in sections. I do four sections right front, left front, middle of the head, back of the head.
jenerett
jenerett

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 14th November 2010, 2:04 pm

Thanks ladies for the replies-seems like everyones has a diff method that works for them. I actually just did my entire head in twists last night -a style inspired by you NaturallyU (too cute-I love your hairstyle!) I think I will try clipping bits of the relaxed ends off in twists for now. With Winter approaching I plan on doing protective styles anyway so hopefully this assists on my journey. Very Happy
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 18th November 2010, 1:37 am

Awe, thank you so much. That is such a nice compliment. How do your style turn out? Very Happy
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 18th November 2010, 4:29 am

naturallyu wrote:Awe, thank you so much. That is such a nice compliment. How do your style turn out? Very Happy
It came out great! My hair is much shorter than yours (cut in a bob from the early summertime) but I worked the style in and I received a compliment at work. I owned that style and wore it as such dance . This is definitely one of my protective styles for the winter now as i continue my transition (this Saturday marks my 11th month-can't believe I've made it this far without BC). Thanks for the inspiration again woot!
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by Natrullyhott 15th December 2010, 6:39 pm

@yacoomba I am wondering the same thing. I know that the "transition" is all about cutting some while moree groes but how much and how often do you cut or should you cut/trim?

@natrullyu That is a wonderful style. Would you share on how to do it? I do twist myself but they dont stay that tight. They are always loose and how do you get the curl at the end....I would like to try that this weekend,
Natrullyhott
Natrullyhott

http://thoughtsbehindthescene.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 15th December 2010, 8:53 pm

Thank you Meka1613. For that style I twisted on wet hair with clear ecostyler gel. The ends I placed on medium sized perm rods. Here is a picture of another style that I did with the ecostyler:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 15th December 2010, 9:03 pm

meka1613 wrote:@yacoomba I am wondering the same thing. I know that the "transition" is all about cutting some while moree groes but how much and how often do you cut or should you cut/trim?

@natrullyu That is a wonderful style. Would you share on how to do it? I do twist myself but they dont stay that tight. They are always loose and how do you get the curl at the end....I would like to try that this weekend,
Honestly I don't know and wish I could give you a good answer-when I duplicated the style NaturallyU had before I unraveled the twists for wash I clipped the ends off each one. I don't really consider it a trim but more like a dusting of the ends that were raggedy, they are a lot smoother now it seems. The last trim(cut) I had professionally done was June. I don't wear my hair straightened and have not since the cut back then so I don't worry about the straightened/heat styles. I think I will just clip/dust as I go from now on.
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 15th December 2010, 9:05 pm

naturallyu wrote:Thank you Meka1613. For that style I twisted on wet hair with clear ecostyler gel. The ends I placed on medium sized perm rods. Here is a picture of another style that I did with the ecostyler:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This looks really good! Are you still transitioning or are you fully natural now? If your transitioning still how long post relaxer are in?
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 15th December 2010, 9:08 pm

Thanks girl, I am still transitioning. Slowly but surely, right??? LOL. The very back of my hair is all natural but the top section still has relaxed ends that seem to be taking me an eternity to get rid of. I have been transitioning for a little over two years. I just work with what I have. I just got a trim last month and the stylist is only trimming bit by bit. Nothing drastic. I don't think I could do a huge chop. Very Happy
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 15th December 2010, 9:17 pm

naturallyu wrote:Thanks girl, I am still transitioning. Slowly but surely, right??? LOL. The very back of my hair is all natural but the top section still has relaxed ends that seem to be taking me an eternity to get rid of. I have been transitioning for a little over two years. I just work with what I have. I just got a trim last month and the stylist is only trimming bit by bit. Nothing drastic. I don't think I could do a huge chop. Very Happy
You are working it out and honestly I can't tell where the relaxed and natural hair meet-your hair blends so well and looks great in the styles! :-) I'm going on a year post relaxer (woot woot) and I thought I was going to be ready to BC at the year mark but now that I'm at this point, I'm not and have a handle on the transition that I'm definitely going to go longer. I say 18 months but who knows I may be going longer myself past that-I'm still learning a lot and now that I've identified a regimen that is working for me, it's not that bad :-)
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 16th December 2010, 12:40 am

You are doing also too!!! Keep up the great work. We all have to stay encouraged. I think you are doing an awesome job.
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 18th December 2010, 9:55 pm

naturallyu wrote:You are doing also too!!! Keep up the great work. We all have to stay encouraged. I think you are doing an awesome job.
Thank You- I'm trying (lol) :-)
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 18th December 2010, 11:27 pm

naturallyu wrote:Thanks girl, I am still transitioning. Slowly but surely, right??? LOL. The very back of my hair is all natural but the top section still has relaxed ends that seem to be taking me an eternity to get rid of. I have been transitioning for a little over two years. I just work with what I have. I just got a trim last month and the stylist is only trimming bit by bit. Nothing drastic. I don't think I could do a huge chop. Very Happy

Wow transitioning for over two years! You are inspiration. I've been transitioning for over 14 months. I was excited about hitting the 1 year mark but I still have a looong way to go. I would say I have more relaxed hair than natural hair but pretty close to half natural in the top; the back is almost all natural. I did a mini chop maybe 4 inches in March 10 but I haven't trimmed since. I have been wearing braids and twists (extensions) while transitioning. I've only worn my natural hair styled very few times because my two textures do not blend well (my natural hair is waaaay thicker than my relaxed). I'm getting a little tired of the braids/twists and I plan to start experimenting with styles. Although I havent found a way to blend my two textures and I end up going back to braids. What products/styles help you to blend your two textures well?
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 19th December 2010, 12:20 am

Thanks naturallyme. I would say that roller/rodsets and twists helped me blend my textures well. I alternate between the two sets with different styles so that I will not get bored. I tend to set my hair on the medium perm rods and the sets last for a week upwards. I tend to style my hair once a week when it is in a rodset or once every two weeks when it is twists. The products that I use are very basic and relatively easy to find. I stick to things like VO5, coconut oil, cholestorol, jane carter's leave in, ecostyler. When I deep condition I never rinse it out completely. I use ecostyler on my sets. I find that it is very inexpensive and it gets the job done. Your texture of hair looks very similar to my texture!!!
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 19th December 2010, 5:51 pm

naturallyu wrote:Thanks naturallyme. I would say that roller/rodsets and twists helped me blend my textures well. I alternate between the two sets with different styles so that I will not get bored. I tend to set my hair on the medium perm rods and the sets last for a week upwards. I tend to style my hair once a week when it is in a rodset or once every two weeks when it is twists. The products that I use are very basic and relatively easy to find. I stick to things like VO5, coconut oil, cholestorol, jane carter's leave in, ecostyler. When I deep condition I never rinse it out completely. I use ecostyler on my sets. I find that it is very inexpensive and it gets the job done. Your texture of hair looks very similar to my texture!!!

Thanks I will try the rod sets and twists. Speaking of hair texture which is somewhat confusing... What is your hair type? I'm not exactly sure what my hair type is.
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down