CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roller Set Question - Am I doing this right? Pics Posted - No Bueno

+8
sweetdrk1
molove87
Naturally Esq
TwistedKurlzz
FalconTress
EMarie
Hazelbabe
BlakButterfli
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Roller Set Question - Am I doing this right? Pics Posted - No Bueno Empty Roller Set Question - Am I doing this right?

Post by BlakButterfli 10th November 2010, 8:08 pm

All,

I've been attempting some roller sets (my Avi is one I did earlier this year) but my curls are having no staying power. I have to do the style (and sleep with rollers in my head) every night to maintain. Pretty please review my routine for this and let me know where I may be going wrong.

1. Wash and condition hair
2. Blow dry hair until it's about 90% dry (my hair is fine and on the thin side, so I do this to achieve volume). This last roller set, I applied Taliah Wajiid's The Great Detangler as a leave-in.
3. Once my hair is stretched out, I finger part (I try to follow the way the hair is going) and apply a little coconut oil and setting lotion to each section of hair.

My hair is very soft and nothing I seme to put on it gives the curls any hold. I end up with very wispy, fluffy hair that only seems to curl at the ends. I've seen on here where people use gel - are you applying this the length of your hair?
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Roller Set Question - Am I doing this right? Pics Posted - No Bueno Empty Re: Roller Set Question - Am I doing this right? Pics Posted - No Bueno

Post by Hazelbabe 10th November 2010, 9:29 pm

I would trying setting on wet hair or more damp than 90% and not blow dry. Also gel will make this set last longer especially if you choose to do it on damp hair instead off wet. Wet hair sets better. When I use gel to set my hair in whatever style, I put it on all of my hair, where else would you put it???

But I hope this helps.
Hazelbabe
Hazelbabe

Back to top Go down

Roller Set Question - Am I doing this right? Pics Posted - No Bueno Empty Re: Roller Set Question - Am I doing this right? Pics Posted - No Bueno

Post by BlakButterfli 11th November 2010, 1:21 am

Thanks Hazel. I guess I feel I get more volume with my hair being dry, but I'll give a wet set a try.

As for the gel, I didn't know if people were only using it at the tip of their hair or using that in place of setting lotion, etc...
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 11th November 2010, 11:05 am

I would try wet hair as well and a little gel on all the hair not just the end....you want the hold on the whole curl.
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 11th November 2010, 2:25 pm

Ok. Wet set tonight it is! I'm a little worried about using gel, I will admit, but oh well - I asked for advice so I'm going to heed it. Smile

After I do my sets, I usually fluff my hair out and pin it up on the sides. When using gel, will the curls be tighter and I won't be able to fluff? Also, when using gel, do you still need a setting lotion? I'm thinking a leave-in, the gel and then something to seal - is that right?
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 11th November 2010, 3:04 pm

After I do my sets, I usually fluff my hair out and pin it up on the sides. When using gel, will the curls be tighter and I won't be able to fluff? Also, when using gel, do you still need a setting lotion? I'm thinking a leave-in, the gel and then something to seal - is that right?

Remember you don't have to use product on all of your hair. You can skip the sections that you are going to pin up. Just a suggestion.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 11th November 2010, 5:38 pm

BlakButterfli wrote:Ok. Wet set tonight it is! I'm a little worried about using gel, I will admit, but oh well - I asked for advice so I'm going to heed it. Smile

Well what if you do minimal gel with something oil based so you will be able to manipulate the hair some?

I remember from my relaxed days I wore "The Clair Huxtable" roller set....it was my go to weekly do and I used to have them set it hard and let the curls fall with a little oil sheen. So maybe putting oil before and after the gel drys will help a little?

Now you have me wanting to roller set mine....maybe I'll do it tomorrow and let you know what worked!
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 11th November 2010, 10:20 pm

EMarie wrote:
BlakButterfli wrote:Ok. Wet set tonight it is! I'm a little worried about using gel, I will admit, but oh well - I asked for advice so I'm going to heed it. Smile

Well what if you do minimal gel with something oil based so you will be able to manipulate the hair some?

I remember from my relaxed days I wore "The Clair Huxtable" roller set....it was my go to weekly do and I used to have them set it hard and let the curls fall with a little oil sheen. So maybe putting oil before and after the gel drys will help a little?

Now you have me wanting to roller set mine....maybe I'll do it tomorrow and let you know what worked!

lol - Sorry, I didn't mean to get the roller set ghost to kick you! lol @ The Clair Huxtable roller set. I think I'm going to put some of my DB Madagascar Vanilla Styling Cream on BEFORE I use the gel and then I'll seal with shea butter.

I want to see pics of your new Clair Huxtable!
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by TwistedKurlzz 12th November 2010, 1:40 am

@BlakButterfli Let me know how the DB Madagascar VSC works.
TwistedKurlzz
TwistedKurlzz

http://public.fotki.com/angel1907

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 12th November 2010, 9:29 am

BlakButterfli wrote:
EMarie wrote:

lol - Sorry, I didn't mean to get the roller set ghost to kick you! lol @ The Clair Huxtable roller set. I think I'm going to put some of my DB Madagascar Vanilla Styling Cream on BEFORE I use the gel and then I'll seal with shea butter.

I want to see pics of your new Clair Huxtable!

LOL....Im going to attempt it today if I find the time otherwise it will have to be Sunday! I will definitely post a pic for you! LOL
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 12th November 2010, 1:42 pm

So...I tried the rollerset with gel. Epic fail for me. Sad

I washed my hair and while it was still fairly wet, I sectioned off pieces with my fingers. I applied Taliah Wajeed's the Great Detangler as a leave in ad to detangle my hair. After that, I parted my hair with my fingers and applied Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Cream to each section, followed by Eco Stylers Olive Oil Gel. I then sealed with the vanilla cream again and rolled my hair.

Now, I have VERY soft and fine hair. Normally when I apply Eco Styler, it clumps very well and defines my curls and that's exactly what it did last night. I ended up rolling clumped coils/curls on my rollers. After I rolled my entire head, I used my hand dryer for about 30 minutes (I don't have a hood dryer) and applied the heat all over my head to dry.

This morning, I had these itty bitty little rolled curls - but still no hold. It's like the softness of my hair refuses to hold ANY kind of curl, even with gel. I started to pull apart the curls and I just ended up with a semi-frizzy/semi curly/coily little fro.

Headband city this morning. Sad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 12th November 2010, 1:42 pm

Updated with pics
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 12th November 2010, 2:12 pm

BlakButterfli wrote:Updated with pics

Well its still cute....I know it wasnt what you were looking for!

Im going to mess with mine tonight.....I think Im going to get a wrapping and setting lotion....guess we'll see.
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 12th November 2010, 2:15 pm

lol - Thanks EMarie. I feel it looks an EXTRA hot mess, but thanks again!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My hair is just so soft and won't hold a curl. I think I will try the Crinkles and Curls setting lotion I have from Taliah Wajeed and see what it does in combination with her The Great Detangler.

Fierce Fridays today showcases a young lady with a BEAUTIFUL roller set and I just want to get to THAT level. Hair frustration is setting in, sadly.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 12th November 2010, 3:57 pm

BlakButterfli wrote:lol - Thanks EMarie. I feel it looks an EXTRA hot mess, but thanks again!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My hair is just so soft and won't hold a curl. I think I will try the Crinkles and Curls setting lotion I have from Taliah Wajeed and see what it does in combination with her The Great Detangler.

Fierce Fridays today showcases a young lady with a BEAUTIFUL roller set and I just want to get to THAT level. Hair frustration is setting in, sadly.

I have fine hair also, so I understand what you are going through. IMO You are using too much cream/moisture, because the same thing happened to me. If you are going to use gel, then seal with a light oil and not cream. If you are not going to use gel, then use very little of the cream and seal with a light oil.
HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 12th November 2010, 4:48 pm

Thanks Naturally Esq. I'm going to try another set tomorrow night and see what happens. I have coconut oil and will try it with that and gel.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by molove87 13th November 2010, 1:43 am

Don't get hair woes Embarassed you'll work it out.
molove87
molove87

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 14th November 2010, 10:37 am

BlakButterfli wrote:lol - Thanks EMarie. I feel it looks an EXTRA hot mess, but thanks again!

I saw her pic and want to a roller set just because. I think the key is heat and stretching your hair out when rolling it. Nikki had a setting lotion recipe that a few folks tested and liked. Let me see if I can find it for you!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 14th November 2010, 10:49 am

sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 14th November 2010, 2:27 pm

Ok, so I roller set my hair this morning. I had to go to Sally's and get the rollers with the plastic covers because me and the roller clips just weren't seeing eye to eye.

I used KBB Hair Nectar and Giovanni's Vitapro Fusion (as leave in's and a heat protector) and then Giovanni's Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam to hold the curl.

I think Im going to roll it in a different direction next time so I can hide more of the roots because they just wont lay down!!

The finished product with a little Olive Oil and Coconut oil rubbed all thru the hair!

EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 14th November 2010, 2:31 pm

Good job! I also use Giovanni's Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 14th November 2010, 2:34 pm

Naturally Esq wrote:Good job! I also use Giovanni's Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam.

Thanks!!

I came across it in Walmart and figured it would be good to roller set....I actually did a wash and go with it yesterday when I had to go buy rollers.....a little frizzy but no crunch....I like it!
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 14th November 2010, 2:46 pm

I reduced the frizzies by applying it over GDLI and a little castor oil. No crunch AND no white build up. Love it.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazelbabe 19th November 2010, 10:33 pm

I feel like you are doing to much, and in the wrong order. Here's what you should do:
-wash hair
-add leave-in
-seal in moisture with some type of oil
-add your holding product like a gel or setting lotion/foam
-roll hair
-let dry [i recommend the dryer because it sets the hair better]
you sealing again after the holding product just counteracts the holding power.
Hazelbabe
Hazelbabe

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 19th November 2010, 10:59 pm

I have no idea what look you're going for but I did a rollerset on my DD's hair (for the first time ever!) last Thanksgiving. I will have to find pics for you but I knew we wouldn't be using any heat so I just did it on stretched hair. I used large rollers and use shea butter/coconut oil mix and ORS lock & twist gel. It came out cute. Definitely needed a different product though. I can't imagine trying it on her wet hair though, lol. I don't think it would look like a rollerset. Razz

Off to find some pics...
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next