CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question, Is Hot Combing Your Hair Good For Ppl Who Are Transitioning?

+2
laleepop14
ForTheLoveOfRee
6 posters

Go down

Question, Is Hot Combing Your Hair Good For Ppl Who Are Transitioning? Empty Question, Is Hot Combing Your Hair Good For Ppl Who Are Transitioning?

Post by ForTheLoveOfRee 9th November 2010, 9:13 pm

Ive been Doing It Every 2 Weeks & Then Curl It ,

Is That Healthy/Good For Your natural Hair? confused
ForTheLoveOfRee
ForTheLoveOfRee

Back to top Go down

Question, Is Hot Combing Your Hair Good For Ppl Who Are Transitioning? Empty Re: Question, Is Hot Combing Your Hair Good For Ppl Who Are Transitioning?

Post by laleepop14 10th November 2010, 1:29 pm

I dont think that the heat is good for your hair. A hot comb gets much hotter then flat irons. I would suggest using a heat protectant always and maybe try doing styles that can stretch the hair so a lot of heat doesnt need to be applied..

Do you plan on straightening throughout your transition??
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Question, Is Hot Combing Your Hair Good For Ppl Who Are Transitioning? Empty Re: Question, Is Hot Combing Your Hair Good For Ppl Who Are Transitioning?

Post by ForTheLoveOfRee 8th December 2010, 8:44 pm

Well Im Cuttin It Soo ,
ForTheLoveOfRee
ForTheLoveOfRee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 8th December 2010, 8:58 pm

I would be careful with that. Heat can be very damaging to the hair and possibly counterproductive to what you are trying to achieve. What styles have you tried so far?
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by MsAkira 10th December 2010, 11:01 pm

From everything that I have researched thus far any type of heat can be damaging but the hot comb is one of the hottest forms so it can potentially be the most damaging. Even though you are cutting you permed ends, you can still potentially scorch your new growth and loss the natural formation in it. If I had to choose a form of straightening I would say blow drying it straight or maybe a flat ironing every now and then.

HTH
MsAkira
MsAkira

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 11th December 2010, 12:36 am

Ive been Doing It Every 2 Weeks & Then Curl It
Are you using a blow dryer and a curling iron?

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 27th December 2010, 3:30 am

Every two weeks = probably too much

Each time you straighten your hair, some of the disulfide bonds that hold the hair strand together become forever broken. You can limit it with heat protectant but frequent/high heat will cause damage. Check out other transitioning styles that don't require heat (twistouts, braidouts, bantu knot outs). You can also roller set your hair under a hooded dryer if you want your hair straight Smile

Check out moptopmaven's blog. She transitioned from thin, heat damaged hair and now she has a head full of gorgeous hair. I love that she still presses her waist-length, unbelievably incredible hair and seems to get no damage from it. Moderation is key though (and deep conditioning and strengthening treatments)!
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down