CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4a Trials & Tribulations

4 posters

Go down

4a Trials & Tribulations Empty 4a Trials & Tribulations

Post by LyricurLLy 1st November 2010, 8:01 pm

Hello there,

So some days I feel like I've finally achieved my natural girl diploma and graduated when other days I feel like I'm just in pre-poo-school. I find things that work and then my hair gets all temperamental on a sista! My last henna didn't even do so well, and that NEVER happens! Sad So right now I'm looking for a routine (cheap) that I can do that will help me maintain/grow length, cut down on shrinkage and be the least time consuming.

WHAT I'VE DONE BEFORE:

Wash n' Go: Lot's of shrinkage and curls are not very defined once dry.

2strand Twist: Go to staple but lately even these are shrunk up to my scalp. Ugh.

Bantu Knots: Usually do these when I want to do a soft curly afro. It's hit or miss, usu. miss but when I hit it's oh so good and cute!

Current products (w/o a set routine) and how I use them:
(note, these are the products my hair did not totally reject but embraced at some point)

Suave Coconut Shampoo
Suave Coconut Conditioner: Cowash
Suave Almond Shea butter Conditioner: Cowash
Giovanni Smooth as Silk:Cowash
EE Hello Hydration: as a detangler
Curls Curly Milkshake: Leave Moisturizer in for 2 strand twists and bantu knots
Culrls Whipped Cream: *doesn't do much for me but kept it because it wasn't cheap! Used as moisturizer at night or in the morn.
Shea Moisture Deep Conditioning Mask: Hate the scent but it works (sometimes) as a deep conditioner
Shea Moisture Hold & Shine Moisture Mist: spritz to liven up curls and give a shine and hold
Pantene Relaxed and Natural Deep Conditioner: Deep Conditioner w/ me adding some honey to it
Water/Rosemary Spritz: Waken up curls and add moisture

I'm in a "I need to do something to my hair" kinda mood right now, so what would you suggest?
Thanks in advance for your willingness to assist a sista!
LyriCurLLy

Last edited by LyricurLLy on 1st November 2010, 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added another product)
LyricurLLy
LyricurLLy

Back to top Go down

4a Trials & Tribulations Empty Re: 4a Trials & Tribulations

Post by naturallychelsea 1st November 2010, 9:43 pm

Well I suggest that you continue to play with your hair until you perfect each and every style. Dedicate days at a time to practicing hairstyles like bantu knots and twists until you can recreate them at the drop of a hat.
HTH Very Happy
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by LyricurLLy 1st November 2010, 9:48 pm

The styles aren't really the issue per se as much as I'm feeling like the products I'm using work for a minute and then something changes. I recently had to trim my ends because they had gotten really scraggly from the 2 strand twists and after they were trimmed my hair seems to be shrinking more than usual. That's never happened before. My curls are not as defined either. Not really sure what has happened. Sad
LyricurLLy
LyricurLLy

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 1st November 2010, 10:01 pm

Well your hair may be asking you for a little TLC. Try DCing and doing a protein vs moisture test to see if everything is as it should be.

Also, you could try clarifying using an ACV rinse as product buildup could cause this problem. Also, the ACV will help to lay the cuticles down to smooth out the hair and maybe rejuvenate your curls.

Also this is just a thought but maybe because you cut your curls they are less weighed down and now prone to shrink more.

HTH Very Happy
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by LyricurLLy 1st November 2010, 10:10 pm

Hmmm. I forgot to mention that I do an ACV rinse at least once a week prior to co-wash or DC. I DC at once a week. So maybe it's the latter....no more weight since the trim.

How would I do a protein vs moisture test??
LyricurLLy
LyricurLLy

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 1st November 2010, 10:19 pm

If your hair:
(When Wet or Dry) Stretches slightly and returns to its original length without breaking, you are balanced! Stick with maintaining!

(When Wet or Dry) Stretches a little more than normal then breaks, you need more protein in your regimen.

(When Wet or Dry)Stretches, stretches, stretches with no significant breakage yet, add a bit more protein to your regimen.

(Wet)- Feels weak, gummy, mushy, or limp, you need to add more protein to your regimen.

(Wet or Dry) Experiences very little to no stretching, and simply snaps or breaks, you need to increase the moisture in your regimen.

(Dry) Feels rough, tough, hard, dry, tangly, brittle, or any combination of those, you need more moisture in your regimen.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by LyricurLLy 1st November 2010, 10:28 pm

This is VERY helpful. I need to look up products containing protein. Come to think of it, if I'm not mistaken my Giovanni Smooth as Silk has protein and I WAS using that every week without fail. The past few weeks since just prior to the ends being trimmed I haven't used it. Protein here I come! Smile

THANK YOU!!
Very Happy
LyricurLLy
LyricurLLy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pi*Jay 13th November 2010, 3:13 pm

I am in that same situation except my hair is shorter... and its been breaking off a lot. I think maybe I need to try some protein.
Pi*Jay
Pi*Jay

Back to top Go down

Post by courtface 23rd November 2010, 7:44 pm

These are some of the same issues im having with my 4a hair.@ naturallychelsea thx for that. I must need more protein in my hair . I transitioned in 2005 without really knowing much about natural hair or how to take care of it .

courtface

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down