CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gelled Henna

2 posters

Go down

Gelled Henna Empty Gelled Henna

Post by Madeaj 30th October 2010, 9:54 pm

Hello all

I finally ordered my henna. woot! After researching the subject to death, study lol! I have to decided to use this method I saw on the Henna for Hair site. Smooth Gelled Henna. Scroll closer to the bottom for the recipe. I emailed the person who posted the recipe and she said it works great for her.

Has anybody else used this gelled henna method? If so what were your results? My main reason for using it is avoiding the graininess. It just seems like there will be less problems rinsing it out, little chance of clogged drains.

I also think if I use this method I could add the indigo or amla to the gelled henna after dye release, making one step instead of two.

What you all think?
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Gelled Henna Empty Re: Gelled Henna

Post by CarlaAR 3rd November 2010, 5:46 pm

I havent tried it yet, but I will when I do my next henna gloss. The last time it did it, I made a huge mess because the conditioner + henna paste ran down my face the entire time I had it in my hair.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Gelled Henna Empty Got my Henna!

Post by Madeaj 3rd November 2010, 5:52 pm

I just got my package of Celebration Henna, Pectin, gloves, white tea and apple juice. woot! I am so excited, probably more excited than I should be about hair products. Very Happy

I am going to do the dye release Friday night and put the henna in on Saturday. I might take pictures of the preparation, it all depends on how I feel on friday night.

I'll do a test tonight on some hair I've been saving from detangling.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 3rd November 2010, 6:09 pm

Cant wait to hear/see your results Madeaj!
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Gelled Henna Empty Henna in process

Post by Madeaj 11th November 2010, 4:58 pm

Okay I've got the henna on and let me tell you all. It is definitely messier than I remembered. Very Happy but somehow its relaxing. I guess its the me time or something. Anyway I took pictures of the gelling process. I think I have a bit of tweaking to do for next time. I almost ran out of gel. Although I still have the paste if I need to I can use that. Its still good. I think I am going to get two treatment out of this method or a lot of glosses.

Once I finish, I going to post the pictures of the proces for gelling. I hope I get the results I'm looking for. Wish me luck ladies. Very Happy
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Gelled Henna Empty Finished my first henna in years

Post by Madeaj 11th November 2010, 10:23 pm

I finished my henna and my hair feels wonderful. My scalp feels fresh if that makes sense. I only had the henna on for 2 hours so my couple of three gray hairs are light copper. My hair was a little dry. I did a DC with Pantene Curly Deep Moisturising Conditioner and it was fine.

I used 4 bags each of red zinger and white tea.
3.5 oz sugar
1000 ml water
1.5 oz powdered pectin
100 grams of Celebration Henna
One cut off foot/leg of a new pair pantyhose. A knee hi would do, I just used what I had.

I brewed the tea in the water and let it cool down to warm. Removed the tea bags and I set aside 300 ml of the tea for the henna.
The 700 ml I left in the pot, added the sugar and brought it to a fast boil. While it was boiling I stirred in the pectin. Pectin requires a lot of boiling so I boiled it while stirring for a few minutes until it started getting thick.
It got real thick, I poured it in a pyrex bowl to cool and gel.

I poured the henna into the hose (with help, its messy) over another pyrex bowl. Tied a knot in the sock and placed it in the bowl. Then I poured the cooled 300 ml tea over the henna-ina-sock. With gloves, I smooshed it around so all the henna would get wet. I had to add a little more warmed distilled water because the henna soaked up the tea. Then I smooshed plastic wrap down over the henna. I got dye release in two hours.

The gel got so stiff I had to whip in a blend to smooth it out. With gloves, I squeezed the henna juice, mud whatever out of the sock and mixed in the glass bowl with the gel. Stirred it well and applied to wet clarified hair.

I loved the application. It was like playing in mud pies. Henna flew everywhere. You got to put paper down or do it outside. The gel made smoothing in my hair go pretty easy. I only left it on for 2 hours.

Rinising was easy, although back breaking. I did it in the sink with a plastic cup. But there was no grit and it came out easy.

Another benefit of this method. I put the sock with the rest of the henna in the freezer to use in henna glosses. HTH somebody.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 11th November 2010, 11:03 pm

A few pictures from my henna session.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 12th November 2010, 1:13 am

Thanks for sharing! I am doing my first gelled henna gloss (only done regular henna or henna gloss - not gelled).

50g Jamila Henna (I usually need 100g for my hair, but I am adding extra liquid)
1.8g pectin
Green tea (enough to make a paste)
1 cup conditioner

1. Because I made extra green tea the last time I hennaed my hair, I froze the excess so I heated it up on the stove until it started to simmer.

2. Add the hot green tea to the henna to make a paste and let is sit.

3. Heated the conditioner to a boil in a pot and added the pectin. Whisk for about one minute while still boiling it, turn off the heat and let it sit for a minute.

4. Pour the gelled conditioner in with the henna mixture. It now feels like a very thick cake batter. I let it sit in the freezer to cool off for a bit while I washed my hair.

After I was done shampooing, the henna was cool enough to work with.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 14th November 2010, 4:47 pm

I noticed a difference right away. My fine flyaway hair was a bit smoother. My curl texture is the same, but smoother? I think the clumps can get together better, maybe because the cuticle is laying flat or something. Anyway, I like it. My hair feels wonderful. I forsee at least a weekly henna gloss with my weekly deep treatment and maybe a full henna treatment monthly.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 14th November 2010, 4:48 pm

@CarlaAr How did your henna turn out?
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 14th November 2010, 5:12 pm

I forgot to update! It worked out really well. It was easy to rinse out and my hair was easier to work with. I did a DC treatment and still reaped the benefits of henna but in a more moisturizing delivery system. I may try this again and leave it in overnight.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 14th November 2010, 5:25 pm

I'm glad to hear. I was pleased with the gelled henna too.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down