CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am I overreacting?

+3
AfrikanLatina
krenea
Mzbush
7 posters

Go down

Am I overreacting? Empty Am I overreacting?

Post by Mzbush 26th October 2009, 4:18 pm

I am experiencing crucial pregnancy hormones so I'm aware that I'm more sensitive than I usually would be but am I overreacting for being offended that people in my office treat me completely different when I wear my hair straightened? Most of the time, I wear it natural in a protective style which is boring but we all know why the sacrifice is necessary. Every few months I wear it straight for a week or so and I get treated like I'm the new girl in the building. It's all smiles, doors are being opened for me when usually people act like I'm not even there. There aren't many brown faces in this building so I guess I should expect as much but it's still a little hurtful.
Mzbush
Mzbush

Back to top Go down

Am I overreacting? Empty Re: Am I overreacting?

Post by krenea 26th October 2009, 5:35 pm

Hmm...Sometimes, we may be perceiving things (my hubby always convicts me of this) that are our own realities. I'll say, "Did you see how that person looked at us (me)?!" He will say that they looked at me "normally". Whatever. Mzbush, even if they do treat you differently, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Who cares about them? If you love your hair the way it is, hold your head up high, because with confidence in yourself comes respect and acceptance from others. I'm rockin' my natural hair and I love it and I'm going to make everyone else love it, too! LOL!
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 30th October 2009, 5:53 pm

I can see how that could be frustrating. When your hair is straightened its as if people now see you as worthy of having the door held open for you, or being paid a compliment. While it sucks that people are so stuck on a Eurocentric standard of beauty there's not much that can be done about it, especially in the work place. If you made it an issue you could be seen as the angry black women which is probably far from the truth(I know how those hormones can get lol) and then your turned into the bad guy. I say just keep being your fabulous self whether straightened or curly. The people that know and love you see your true beauty regardless of how your hair looks.

PS. Congratulations on the pregnancy! Is this your first little one? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Curl-a-licious 7th November 2009, 1:09 am

You should ask afroness, she has one child and another one on the way. She's on the good news thread curly nikki posted
Curl-a-licious
Curl-a-licious

http://beyond-the-epidermis.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 7th November 2009, 12:17 pm

Mzbush, check out todays post on the blog...same topic...I've had this experience too.
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jadee 2nd December 2009, 1:16 pm

Your not overreacting. Just recentely I straightened my hair and got the same reaction. I too was offended. Most of them had the nerve to tell me that I should wear my hair like this all the time to which I simply respond," don't get use to it" I only straighten my hair 1-2x per year. Can you believe these people. Don't pay these people any attention.

jadee

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 2nd December 2009, 2:21 pm

I experience the same thing. I take those straight hair comments as a back handed compliment. My hair is straight now but I have it in a bun, most of the folks in here can't even tell what going on, losers.
You are not alone in this feeling.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down