CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retain 3 inches or more in 6 months - Mid-Way (January) Update

+34
swoodward
CarlaAR
naturalblkbeauty10
dajewel
Divinebeauty87
TheRYL1
NaturallyStacie
redberry313
AdrianaSFleury
Jameil528
blackice82
CurlyChick
SmilingElephant
MsJay1121
BrownSkinDiva
fabulouslyfluffy
msbahamas
Nali1987
QueenSheba
Cupcake415
NhappyJackie
tickany
tickle*me*curly
feliciap708
KinkyNappyHappy
Nessa101
xtremelyperfect
famuot
HappigocurliJenn
krissyc39
Intelligentbeauty
adamseve
Kez
CocoEuro
38 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Retain 3 inches or more in 6 months  - Mid-Way (January) Update Empty Retain 3 inches or more in 6 months - Mid-Way (January) Update

Post by CocoEuro 30th September 2010, 2:35 pm

This started out as a personal journey as I reached out and shared my idea, others wanted to join! I think this is so great, this is the best way to stay on track, stay motivated, and encouraged while we aim to reach our goals!

My goal is to retain 3 inches in 6 months. While randomly researching hair, I came up on articles that stated everyone’s hair can grow 6 inches in a year! Really? So I got a tape measure, put it at the end of my hair! WOW! Really? I’m sure we all seen Kimmay on YouTube achieved great lengths in a short time, from protective styling and PH balancing her hair! I (we) can do this too!!!

I chose to obtain my goal in 6 months because who really wants to wait a year? I’m very impatient!! LOL! Also, winter is coming and what a better way to really focus on keeping our hair moisturized and protected during the soon-to-come cold days!

So here is my plan!!

3 inches or more in 6 months plan

Maintenance
Cleanse scalp weekly
Wash hair while braided

Treatments
Deep Conditioner weekly with heat
Protein Treatments every 4-6 weeks

Sealing
Jamaican Black Castor Oil
Olive Oil

Protective Styling
-twist
-buns
-crochet braids

No damaging hair
No direct heat, no blow dryers, flat irons
Combing only when drenched with Conditioner and Water

Please do what works for YOU!! This is more of a learning challenge!! Everyone's hair can handle different techniques and retain length!! My hair is fragile and I am at my usual breaking point, shoulder length. So I am using this challenge to be extra gentle and loving to my hair! To reach my ultimate goal of waist length in two years! I'm taking it 6 months at a time!!!

This challenge will begin October 1, 2010 (or sometime this weekend) until April 1, 2011. I will post a beginning picture this weekend, feel free to do the same! I’m excited!! I look forward to journaling my progress with you ladies!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by CocoEuro on 13th January 2011, 8:03 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Uploaded Photos)
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Retain 3 inches or more in 6 months  - Mid-Way (January) Update Empty Re: Retain 3 inches or more in 6 months - Mid-Way (January) Update

Post by Kez 30th September 2010, 4:52 pm

Hey,
Ok I'll join you! Are you gonna check in 6mths or more frequently,
I'll measure length at back if hair tomo stretched out and take it from there, and tomo is the 1st of the month too so good time to start eh!!
Good luck us!! Xxx
Kez
Kez

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=537223131

Back to top Go down

Retain 3 inches or more in 6 months  - Mid-Way (January) Update Empty Re: Retain 3 inches or more in 6 months - Mid-Way (January) Update

Post by CocoEuro 30th September 2010, 6:48 pm

Kez wrote:Hey,
Ok I'll join you! Are you gonna check in 6mths or more frequently,
I'll measure length at back if hair tomo stretched out and take it from there, and tomo is the 1st of the month too so good time to start eh!!
Good luck us!! Xxx

yeah!!! maybe a pull or a tug check every other month! checking too often can drive you nuts!!! Keep an update on what you are doing to protect and nourish your hair!! and please share any findings!!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

Back to top Go down

Post by adamseve 1st October 2010, 5:10 am

I'm in!

I've been wearing protective styles since the end of July and my plan is to put in my 1st set of kinky twists next week. I plan to keep them in at least 4-6 weeks and then give my hair a break for a week by wearing a bun or twists. I'll then put the twists back in for another 4-6 weeks.

We'll see, but protective styling is definitely what I'll be doing as I'm really wanting more growth before my 1st natural anniversary.

Thanks for sharing your personal challenge.
adamseve
adamseve

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 1st October 2010, 7:58 am

Count me in!! I need more growth by my 1 yr mark.
Next time I do my hair I will do a length check and report back on this thread. Very Happy
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 1st October 2010, 2:48 pm

I wanna join too!

I'm going to have to find another alternative to the basic protective styles because I hate my hair back. Would it still be possible to retain length without protective styles???
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 1st October 2010, 9:38 pm

adamseve wrote:I'm in!

I've been wearing protective styles since the end of July and my plan is to put in my 1st set of kinky twists next week. I plan to keep them in at least 4-6 weeks and then give my hair a break for a week by wearing a bun or twists. I'll then put the twists back in for another 4-6 weeks.

We'll see, but protective styling is definitely what I'll be doing as I'm really wanting more growth before my 1st natural anniversary.

Thanks for sharing your personal challenge.

Woo.hoo!! Welcome!!!

Intelligentbeauty wrote:Count me in!! I need more growth by my 1 yr mark.
Next time I do my hair I will do a length check and report back on this thread. Very Happy

okay, IB!! I need to do the same!!!

krissyc39 wrote:I wanna join too!

I'm going to have to find another alternative to the basic protective styles because I hate my hair back. Would it still be possible to retain length without protective styles???

Hi Krissy, they are plenty of protective styles to choose from!! braids, twists, weaves, wigs, hats, phony ponies (sp?)!!! Retaining length without protective styling could be possible for some and not for others!! It all depends, if the ends of your hair are rubbing against clothing, getting enough moisture, not being handled roughly!! There are so many factors! You would be the best person to analyze what your hair can stand!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

Back to top Go down

Post by HappigocurliJenn 2nd October 2010, 1:02 am

I'm in.

my back hair is about 2 inches past my collar bone (stretched).

I will upload a pic the next time I do my hair which will be in a week or two... it's been up in cornrows for a week and LUCKILY it's not frizzy so I don't want to mess with a good thing.

I plan to shampoo/ DC and detangle once every 2-3 weeks. It depends how long the style lasts before it becomes frizzy.

my protective styles will be cornrows (hopefully until December (my own personal challenge since september)) and twists and braids until the end of April. I may continue until May as it doesn't get warm here until late June.

I will try to post a pic as I remember to take them but at least on the last month of the challenge.

CocoEuro--- what products do you use and where do you buy them at? I have a sister in Iraq who is transitioning and she doesn't know where to get any kind of products at. Thank you Smile[img][/img]

Last edited by HappigocurliJenn on 14th October 2010, 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add a picture)
HappigocurliJenn
HappigocurliJenn

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 2nd October 2010, 10:50 am

I need help! Is this a good plan???

I was thinking about deep conditioning every week with heat and alternating henna and protein treatments every other week. I figure if I fortify my hair with these treatments, I could wear my hair out a little more and still keep length. I really need reassurance though as I don't want my hair to be over/under moisturized.
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 2nd October 2010, 2:42 pm

krissyc39 wrote:I need help! Is this a good plan???

I was thinking about deep conditioning every week with heat and alternating henna and protein treatments every other week. I figure if I fortify my hair with these treatments, I could wear my hair out a little more and still keep length. I really need reassurance though as I don't want my hair to be over/under moisturized.

I say give it a try! If it works keep it up, if not make necessary changes
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 2nd October 2010, 2:56 pm

HappigocurliJenn wrote:I'm in.

my back hair is about 2 inches past my collar bone (stretched).

I will upload a pic the next time I do my hair which will be in a week or two... it's been up in cornrows for a week and LUCKILY it's not frizzy so I don't want to mess with a good thing.

I plan to shampoo/ DC and detangle once every 2-3 weeks. It depends how long the style lasts before it becomes frizzy.

my protective styles will be cornrows (hopefully until December (my own personal challenge since september)) and twists and braids until the end of April. I may continue until May as it doesn't get warm here until late June.

I will try to post a pic as I remember to take them but at least on the last month of the challenge.

CocoEuro--- what products do you use and where do you buy them at? I have a sister in Iraq who is transitioning and she doesn't know where to get any kind of products at. Thank you Smile

Welcome to the challenge!!!

Right now, I am using up products that I purchased over the year! I was/am a product junkie!!! LOL! However, I will continue using:
My Honey Child's scalp cleanser - (Curlmart.com)
Curls Cream Cleanser -(curlsbiz.com)
Honey & Olive Oil for a deep conditioner - (grocery store products)
Giovanni's Direct-leave in Conditioner, Aubrey Organics B5 Design Gel - (iherb.com or the vitaminshoppe.com)
Shea & Mango Butters, Aloe Vera Gel, for homemade conditioners and leave-ins; Jamilla Henna, to cover my grays - (butters-n-bars.com)
Once in a blue moon I will use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration for detangling or leave-in (local stores)

Give a shoutout to you sister for me!! My hubby's been to Iraq twice!!! Not fun for either of us!!

CocoEuro
CocoEuro

Back to top Go down

Post by famuot 3rd October 2010, 1:26 am

I would like to join the challenge! I plan on getting kinky twist at the end of the month and will probably wear them for a month and a half. I'm getting frustrated and I'm desperate to see growth.
famuot
famuot

Back to top Go down

Post by xtremelyperfect 3rd October 2010, 1:47 am

I'm in! I have this as a personal challenge anyway so it'll be nice to do it with everyone else! Here are my starting pictures!

my regimen is here. so excited! dance
xtremelyperfect
xtremelyperfect

http://fuckyeahnadia.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 3rd October 2010, 9:04 am

famuot wrote:I would like to join the challenge! I plan on getting kinky twist at the end of the month and will probably wear them for a month and a half. I'm getting frustrated and I'm desperate to see growth.

Yeah!!! Welcome!!! I know the feeling!!! I know I had growth but wasn't really documenting!! so here we go!!

xtremelyperfect wrote:I'm in! I have this as a personal challenge anyway so it'll be nice to do it with everyone else! Here are my starting pictures!

my regimen is here. so excited! dance

Hey XP!! Glad you’re joining the challenge!!! I checked out your regimen!! I've been experimenting with a shea & mango butters, EVOO, Aloe Vera Gel mix imitating Kimmay's leave-in. Do you test the PH in your leave-in mix?
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

Back to top Go down

Post by Kez 3rd October 2010, 10:46 am

Hey!!
Ok so mine is 4.5" at back so in aiming for 7.5" by April! I'll be so chuffed if it gets there!!
Xxx
Kez
Kez

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=537223131

Back to top Go down

Post by xtremelyperfect 3rd October 2010, 12:24 pm

CocoEuro I don't measure the pH. I believe what she's telling me but I don't necessarily care enough to check the pH of all my products lol. I just go with how my hair feels. If her leave-in left my hair feeling crappy I wouldn't have used it. And I use a lot of different styling products that I don't feel like testing lol. Call me lazy hehehe.
xtremelyperfect
xtremelyperfect

http://fuckyeahnadia.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa101 3rd October 2010, 2:32 pm

I'm in! I'll be doing twist and maybe twist outs during the weekends Smile
Nessa101
Nessa101

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 3rd October 2010, 4:11 pm

Okay....I'm in. I'm doing another growth challenge that ends in December so I can do both and this one will keep me on track.

I'll post my pictures next week when I shampoo..in fact I don't think its changed from last month because I've been cutting my thin ends.

I will wear twists for 6 days let my hair out the day before wash days and re-twists.

The top/crown is about 4inches; left side 5 inches; right side 6inches; back 5 1/2 inches. I have so many different lengths so my goal in addition to growing and retaining 3 inches in 6 months is to focus on my ends.

I'll be using AfroVeda products; henna 1 a month; and I'm going to incorporate different oils into my regiment. I'll share the oils once I figure that out. One for use will be castor oil...

CoCoE how often do we check in?

KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by feliciap708 3rd October 2010, 4:23 pm

I'm in I'm in I'm in. woot!
feliciap708
feliciap708

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 3rd October 2010, 5:49 pm

xtremelyperfect wrote:CocoEuro I don't measure the pH. I believe what she's telling me but I don't necessarily care enough to check the pH of all my products lol. I just go with how my hair feels. If her leave-in left my hair feeling crappy I wouldn't have used it. And I use a lot of different styling products that I don't feel like testing lol. Call me lazy hehehe.

That's cool!! PH Balancing Test strips is on my "wish list" but other stuff has always seem to be in need before those!!!

Nessa101 wrote:I'm in! I'll be doing twist and maybe twist outs during the weekends Smile

Yeahh!! Nessa!! Welcome!!!

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Okay....I'm in. I'm doing another growth challenge that ends in December so I can do both and this one will keep me on track.

I'll post my pictures next week when I shampoo..in fact I don't think its changed from last month because I've been cutting my thin ends.

I will wear twists for 6 days let my hair out the day before wash days and re-twists.

The top/crown is about 4inches; left side 5 inches; right side 6inches; back 5 1/2 inches. I have so many different lengths so my goal in addition to growing and retaining 3 inches in 6 months is to focus on my ends.

I'll be using AfroVeda products; henna 1 a month; and I'm going to incorporate different oils into my regiment. I'll share the oils once I figure that out. One for use will be castor oil...

CoCoE how often do we check in?

Yeah KNH!!!! Yeah, I got my Jamaican Black Castor Oil (in Jamaican accent, LOL!) coming in the mail!! I say do another length check at the half-way mark, 3 months, January, 2011. I think checking too often would freak us out!!!

feliciap708 wrote:I'm in I'm in I'm in. woot!

Woo hoo Felica!!! Welcome!!!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 3rd October 2010, 7:52 pm

Hey CoCoE...

At the 3 month mark...this is going to be easy. Please remember to remind us!! I have a little ADD going on so I'll so forget!!! LOL
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by tickle*me*curly 3rd October 2010, 9:18 pm

i'm so in!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tickle*me*curly
tickle*me*curly

Back to top Go down

Post by tickany 4th October 2010, 12:01 am

I'm in!!! I reach my 1 year nappiversary in December! Just in time for the mid way mark! I will wash my hair tomorrow and post my length check with my regimen then!!!

Last edited by tickany on 6th October 2010, 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pics)
tickany
tickany

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 4th October 2010, 1:57 pm

Hey, count me in. I'm also in the challenge that ends in December but will continue until April, maybe a little longer. My plan is to do protective styles at least 80% of the time. My favorite is twist. I usually leave my hair twisted for 2weeks, twistout for 1wk, then start over. My reggie can be found on my fotkt...link below.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 4th October 2010, 4:09 pm

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hey CoCoE...

At the 3 month mark...this is going to be easy. Please remember to remind us!! I have a little ADD going on so I'll so forget!!! LOL

No prob, I'll send a reminder!!

tickle*me*curly wrote:i'm so in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome tickle me curly!!! ; )

tickany wrote:I'm in!!! I reach my 1 year nappiversary in December! Just in time for the mid way mark! I will wash my hair tomorrow and post my length check with my regimen then!!!

Hi Tickany, Welcome

NhappyJackie wrote:Hey, count me in. I'm also in the challenge that ends in December but will continue until April, maybe a little longer. My plan is to do protective styles at least 80% of the time. My favorite is twist. I usually leave my hair twisted for 2weeks, twistout for 1wk, then start over. My reggie can be found on my fotkt...link below.

Welcome, NhappyJackie!!!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next