CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"grown up hairstyles"

+9
Mzbush
AshElleAye
BajanPrincess82
Neems
Ms.Mai
C.
bholmes87
tiashaunteé
thetiffany
13 posters

Go down

"grown up hairstyles" Empty "grown up hairstyles"

Post by thetiffany 8th September 2010, 3:14 pm

i look young already, im 26 but could easliy pass for 16. when i wore my hair straight it wasnt such a problem as i at least looked 18. lol anyways so far two strand twist have been my go to style, however i am desparate to look my age or at leaast 19. i feel like my natural hair makes me look so very young. i know am not the only one????? what does everyone do? how can i style my hair to at least make me look legal?
thetiffany
thetiffany

http://embracingmycurly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

"grown up hairstyles" Empty Re: "grown up hairstyles"

Post by tiashaunteé 8th September 2010, 3:26 pm

Give up. I tried and lost that battle. Laughing j/k

I think being natural automatically takes 10yrs off of your appearance. It's just something we have to live with.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 8th September 2010, 3:53 pm

I agree with Tia because it just doesn't work. I'm only 22 but people think I'm around 14 Rolling Eyes What does help is wearing updos with twists! They always make me feel more sophisticated and I LOVE 2 strand twists as well so that's my solution (that doesn't really work but it helps me feel better lol)
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 8th September 2010, 5:05 pm

I agree with Bholmes. try to make your styles look more sophisticated. Im 21 and I look 14, but not just because of my hair. Its also because I'm short (5ft even) and I prefer to wear jeans and tshirts everyday, which contributes alot. Maybe you should try to dress your age--if that makes sense-- that way people wont be so quick to assume that you're way younger than what you are.

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Mai 8th September 2010, 5:20 pm

KCC09 wrote: I prefer to wear jeans and tshirts everyday, which contributes alot.
I dress the same way. lol

Just like everybody else said I get the same thing. Even when I was relaxed, people thought I was younger than what I really am. Might as well say I am 23(Bday in Oct) and people want to say I am 18. But I take it in stride. Its a compliment to me! My only advice is to do updos.

P.S. My little brother used to hate it when people thought he was older than his age. Im older than him, by four years, but they would swear he was my older brother.

This pic was taken in May, while I was transitioning. The boy next to me is my bro, he's 18 but people think he is older than me.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ms.Mai
Ms.Mai

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 8th September 2010, 5:28 pm

That's cute and funny because he does look older than you. You have a little-big brother. Very Happy
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 8th September 2010, 6:03 pm

Ms.Mai, I have the same problem. Everyone thinks my younger sister is older than me. I gave up trying to look "my age." It's hopeless. The most I can do is carry myself with confidence, project my voice and avoid basic baby tees and jeans with sneakers. Instead, I wear tees with a cute scarf, skinny jeans and sandals/flats.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 8th September 2010, 6:10 pm

I think when you wear your hair out (twist-out, braid-out, etc...) and dress a little 'older' that helps you to not look so young.

A couple of weeks ago there was a saleman at my front door. He says, "is the head of household here?", I reply "we're not interested" (I could see from his shirt and hat that he was from an electricity company), he says "is the person that pays the light bill here?", I say again "we're not interested". He says (now agitated), "what is it that you're not interested in? Is your mom here at least?". I said, "my mom? No, but my husband is here and WE ARE NOT INTERESTED." That was crazy. I'm like, I know I look young, but I don't look that young!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by AshElleAye 8th September 2010, 7:03 pm

People used to chop years off of my age when I was relaxed so I've given up on the "looking older" thing. I've been told I look 15 even though I'm almost 21 years old. People think my younger sister, who is actually 15, is older than me! lol
AshElleAye
AshElleAye

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Mai 9th September 2010, 1:41 am

tiashaunteé wrote:You have a little-big brother. Very Happy

lol thats funny because my family say the same thing!

Neems wrote:Ms.Mai, I have the same problem. Everyone thinks my younger sister is older than me.

Whats up with the younger siblings looking older than us? Is something in the water! Suspect
Ms.Mai
Ms.Mai

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 9th September 2010, 2:12 am

I really think there's something in the water! When I go back to my high school I look younger than most of the students and I'm a college graduate for crying out loud!! But yes wearing my hair out or in updos does increase my age slightly
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by Mzbush 9th September 2010, 8:22 am

I agree...I look a little bit older when I wear my hair out but I prefer to protective style most days of the week. So I come to work in my 'grown up' clothes, looking like a youngin' because of my hairstyle. I'm trying to switch up my protective styles in hopes of stumbling upon something more mature.
Mzbush
Mzbush

Back to top Go down

Post by gigihaitiancurly 9th September 2010, 3:43 pm

I'm jealous of all of you who wish they looked older.
I've been always told I look so much older than I am. When I was 15, I was given 18. When I was 18 they never asked me for my ID at the liquor store. Now that I'm 22, people give me ma'am. It's so frustrating.
The other day I was at a student event at the church across my school, and the deacon came to me and said sorry ma'am this is only for students. I had to show him my school ID so he can believe me.
I'm still in undergrad people!
But for the hair thing, I would suggest puffs with slicked down edges. Whenever I wear them I get the most ma'am's throughout the day. Makeup helps a great deal too if you want to look older
gigihaitiancurly
gigihaitiancurly

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 9th September 2010, 10:43 pm

I'm 33 so I'm all about looking younger. I love it when people tell me that I don't look my age and love being carded. My style is age appropriate and I usually wear my hair pulled back in a bun so it's true, no matter what you do if you look young, you're just going to look young no matter what you do to your hair. Embrace it and love it. When you get to be my age you will appreciate it. Very Happy
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pi*Jay 10th September 2010, 12:27 am

Interesting. I think I am having the opposite issue. I think I look much older now that I have gone natural... and I havent been taken the best pics since either. I'm kinda discouraged :-(
Pi*Jay
Pi*Jay

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Mai 10th September 2010, 12:42 am

Pi*Jay, well I love your avatar picture!
Ms.Mai
Ms.Mai

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 10th September 2010, 3:51 pm

@Bajan Princess-- that was too funny. Laughing
@Bholmes- I experienced the same thing a few months ago when my sister and I went to my nieces' (who are 5 and 6 ) graduation. We were walking down the hall and all the 5th graders were big as we were (some bigger), and we're 21 and 22 y/o!!

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 10th September 2010, 5:35 pm

Pi*Jay wrote:Interesting. I think I am having the opposite issue. I think I look much older now that I have gone natural... and I havent been taken the best pics since either. I'm kinda discouraged :-(

i agree with you. LOL
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 10th September 2010, 6:52 pm

CrissyQ wrote:
Pi*Jay wrote:Interesting. I think I am having the opposite issue. I think I look much older now that I have gone natural... and I havent been taken the best pics since either. I'm kinda discouraged :-(

i agree with you. LOL
It might have something to do with the length. I think longer hair sometimes gives a more youthful appearance. When it grows out you may notice a difference.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Pi*Jay 10th September 2010, 11:47 pm

@ Ms. Mai... Thanks, but thanks the first decent pic I have taken in months!
@ BajanPrincess82... I was thinking it might be the length... but then again, I have never had long hair. My hair has never grown past my neck in my whole life (part of the reason I went natural).
Pi*Jay
Pi*Jay

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 11th September 2010, 2:13 am

hey everyone~ thanks for your stories/advice. i kinda know there is nothing thats gonna make me look older lol, i just dont wanna have kiddie hairstyles, just today commented on one of my styles on my blog and said "cute style im gonna try it on my oldest daughter" lol

im trying to learn to wear make-up and have been trying for years to dress more grown up. my trouble is when i am just running to walmart or something or even just going to the mall. i dont want to be all "decked out" but i also dont wanna look like a teenage girl. smh lol
thetiffany
thetiffany

http://embracingmycurly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down