CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Housewives of DC

+2
goombagirl
cutie_curli
6 posters

Go down

Real Housewives of DC Empty Real Housewives of DC

Post by cutie_curli 13th August 2010, 12:19 pm

I have been tuning into the real housewives of DC just to see what the characters are like and their backstories, etc. Last nights episode was quite interesting to say the least. Brief recap: The only black character (Forgive me, dont know her name??) decides to invite the other wives over to her aunt's house for a soul food dinner. Well at the dinner, the British housewive basically disrespects the hostess in her house (Smelling the beverages, not engaging in conversation, being somewhat pretentious, etc). I don't know if she felt uncomfortable because she is not used to being in primarily black enviroments. And the fact that she is british and isnt aware of American culture does not give her the right to be disrespectul. Whatever the reason, her behavior was uncalled for and somewhat unsettling. This brings me to the point that the black housewife made about "Black people are always in settings where they are only black person and no one asks them if they are comfortable. Usually they just rolll with being the only black person in the mix. They don't get annoyed and disrespectful." For some reason this resonated with me. Me and my friend were just having a discussion about how her white friend would always invite her to go places, events, etc that were predominately white but the white friend would not accept her offers to go to predominately black events because she was "uncomfortable." I had the reaction of she is not your real friend and has she ever thought about how you feel being the only black person in the mix. What are your thoughts about this scenario? Has this ever happened to you?

cutie_curli

Back to top Go down

Real Housewives of DC Empty Re: Real Housewives of DC

Post by goombagirl 14th August 2010, 6:59 am

*Raises hand emphatically* That resonated with me too. Professionally I've always been the only person of color in the office, at cocktail parties, etc. I said AMEN when Stacie (the Black housewife) made that statement. I'm often in situations where I'm the ambassador for ALL Black people. I can tell when I'm the ONLY contact that white people have EVER had with a person of color. The one good thing I have going for me is my outgoing personality. Politics aside (I live in DC) I will find a common topic to discuss. It never really occurs to white people to think that we may feel out of place because they're never put in those types of situations. Oddly enough, however, I give Cat kudos for even showing up because the same uncomfortable situations that white people have put us in for over 400 years they themselves can't endure for 4 hours but I digress. By the time my husband and I leave a function I can tell that some of them have changed their minds about Black people. (sidenote: he's from Trinidad, white people tend to love exotic things/people so I always carry him for a conversation piece. I tell him he's my trophy husband-HA!) I can tell that we've made a positive impression. I once carried my family to a corporate function in Shenandoah Valley on a Friday. On Monday my co-worker walked in the door and immediately said "Your children are so well behaved". What is that supposed to mean? How did you expect them to behave? I've NEVER said that to anyone in my life. But it just proves that they only know of us what they see in the media and more often than not it doesn't portray us in a positive light.
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 16th August 2010, 12:34 pm

I've been tuning in to the Real Housewives of DC myself, and I must say they have an interesting cast, so I will be tuning in! And OMG, Cat totally annoys me! LOL! Did you guys see the episode this past Thursday when Stacie (the black girl) invited all the housewives to her aunts house for dinner and Cat came? She was totally uncomfortable, unlike the other housewives who seemed to have had a blast! And remember she left the dinner waaay early, so it was totally noticeable that she felt out of place. That first episode got off with me too when she (Cat) was acting all picky and basically dissing Tyra Banks & Obama! I mean everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but she was just downright rude!

As far as the topic of being the only person of color in a white crowd, yes...I've been there plenty of times! Im sure we all have! White people clearly are uncomfortable because often times they never have to experience these types of scenario's. Its crazy though! It amazes me how they stereo type us! Its like if you're intelligent & classy, its unheard of or something! Usually those are the ones who don't have black friends.
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 17th August 2010, 7:58 pm

I watch the housewives of DC (and all the other cities Smile) and I thought that was a good point they raised also about blacks always being in predominantly white environments and nobody being concerned if we are comfortable or not. That British lady has some real issues that are coming to light and the common denominator for all of them deals with black people. I'm hoping it's just that she's a snob and not anywhere near being racist. But it looks like that will be addressed in this week's episode! Dun dun dun!!!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 18th August 2010, 12:06 am

I grew up in upstate NY, and went to college there also, and was often times the only black person in the crowd, group, meeting, etc... I guess I was so used to it, it never made me feel uncomfortable. I did notice that when I'd invite my white friends to my house, a club, a 'black' event, or to one of my family events that they'd say something like "will I be the only white boy/girl there?". That used to get so annoying! I'd usually tell them "yes" and end the discussion right there. A lot of times they came and had a good time, but I never understood the question about how many whites would be in attendance. So ignorant!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 19th August 2010, 12:08 am

This show is a mess IMO. I REFUSE to watch because of the Salahi's and the lack of diversity in the cast. I have stopped watching all of the "housewives" anyhow but you guys have made some interesting points.

In my previous profession I was the only black person on staff (salaried/professional) employee and when we had meetings/events with the clients I was the only Black person there and I hated it. It didn't bother me per se but it was just frustrating that it was always the case. I have NEVER seen it in the reverse.

@Goombagirl - ITA with you about the media and how we are portrayed. I always say images are powerful and people need to be careful about supporting programs/movies that portray us in a positive light. And some of these images are seen around the world so it's definitely a learning process when you interact with people of other backgrounds. I remember a coworker and I were having a conversation and something bad had happened in a neighborhood/part of town that people consider bad. This fool had the nerve to ask me if I lived near there. The incident happened in the projects (not that that is a bad thing) and she knew damn well I was a homeowner (because we discussed it multiple times) in a different part of town. I told her all Black people do not live or grew up in the projects just like I don't think all White people come from trailer parks (she was from WV). I was so pissed and offended.

Long post sorry but great topic/discussion.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by goombagirl 26th August 2010, 5:52 am

I'm going to checkout sugarleaf vineyards with a couple of girlfriends in the upcoming weeks.
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down