CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone notice how much they are saving being Natural?

+10
Napp_Napp_Cat
lovinmycurls88
Lynnieluve
freckledmom4
WhosThatRedHead
rayray19
Sunshyne
Renny
sugarplum85
sonance
14 posters

Go down

Does anyone notice how much they are saving being Natural? Empty Does anyone notice how much they are saving being Natural?

Post by sonance 11th August 2010, 1:33 am

I know I have spent too much money on weaves, wigs, braids and perms. It was ridiculous and here in Denver black hair salons charge way too much for their services! I cannot believe how much I save by me and my daughter going completely natural. Not even braids and braids are rather expensive here. I cannot put an amount but I know I was spending at LEAST $100 a month a head in my house and I figure we spend about $40 a head now.

Anyone else see a difference?
sonance
sonance

http://www.seriouslynatural.org

Back to top Go down

Does anyone notice how much they are saving being Natural? Empty Re: Does anyone notice how much they are saving being Natural?

Post by sugarplum85 11th August 2010, 12:09 pm

Yes! Before going natural, I had my hair in micro braids for a little over a year. I got them done every few months for about $200 (not to mention the price of braid spray, etc.). That's over $1000 that I spent! Now, I probably spend about $10-$15 a month [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sugarplum85
sugarplum85

Back to top Go down

Does anyone notice how much they are saving being Natural? Empty Re: Does anyone notice how much they are saving being Natural?

Post by Renny 11th August 2010, 12:35 pm

Not yet, I'm too much of a product junkie.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunshyne 11th August 2010, 1:48 pm

...girl I thought I was the only one that noticed that! I spend absolutely nothing on my hair now...except for the products, but I just put myself on a "purchasing freeze" so I can use what I have lol. The extra money lets me keep my nails and feet done lol!
Sunshyne
Sunshyne

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 11th August 2010, 11:08 pm

yea Im definitely and bit of a PJ but im sure once I find my perfect regime it will be better
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 11th August 2010, 11:31 pm

Renny wrote:Not yet, I'm too much of a product junkie.

I had to get rid of all of my products and start fresh. As I learn what works for my hair it's getting better....But then I see the thread "What did you buy in..." and the pjism is in full effect again!!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 12th August 2010, 11:38 am

I'm pretty true to what works for me. I don't switch up too often and my main concern is natural ingredients, local, and price...in that order. I don't wanna have to be buying online for my products. i want to be able to go to the store and pick 'em up since I get paid once a month and sometimes down to the last in the jar by payday. If I had to wait a few days more I'd be stuck!
sonance
sonance

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 12th August 2010, 11:46 am

sonance wrote:I'm pretty true to what works for me. I don't switch up too often and my main concern is natural ingredients, local, and price...in that order. I don't wanna have to be buying online for my products. i want to be able to go to the store and pick 'em up since I get paid once a month and sometimes down to the last in the jar by payday. If I had to wait a few days more I'd be stuck!
Since you're in Denver where do you go to get your products?? Just curious.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 12th August 2010, 3:02 pm

Not yet. I feel like I'm spending more, but hopefully after I get a set routine and find out what my hair likes, hopefully I'll be spending less.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 12th August 2010, 5:35 pm

Since you're in Denver where do you go to get your products?? Just curious.[/quote]

Whole Foods Market is where is get the Kinky Curly. I used to hit up this African store that sold Miss Jessie's products along with EVERYTHING else like oils, black soap, jewelry, etc.
sonance
sonance

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 12th August 2010, 5:40 pm

Which store??
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 12th August 2010, 7:54 pm

I go to the one on Hampden becuase I think the other stores have old ones on the shelves. There is a smell that is very unappealing when I purchase from other Whole Foods Markets. The one in Cherry Creek for instance. The one on Hampden has to replenish OFTEN since it was the only store that had that line here in Denver for awhile.
sonance
sonance

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 12th August 2010, 7:59 pm

I am spending more but now that I have reached my one yr anniversary....purchases have slowed waaaayyyy down.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 12th August 2010, 8:00 pm

My bad... I meant which African store?? I've been to a few and the ones I've been to don't have anything.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by lovinmycurls88 12th August 2010, 8:19 pm

not yet. im still spending trying to find which products work...
lovinmycurls88
lovinmycurls88

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 12th August 2010, 10:03 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:I am spending more but now that I have reached my one yr anniversary....purchases have slowed waaaayyyy down.

You are giving me hope-Thanks Lynnie!
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Napp_Napp_Cat 12th August 2010, 10:18 pm

I agree! I have noticed a major differnce and I'm happy about it lol! I have saved over $100 this month on hair products!
Napp_Napp_Cat
Napp_Napp_Cat

http://theabccollege.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 13th August 2010, 12:58 am

WhosThatRedHead wrote:My bad... I meant which African store?? I've been to a few and the ones I've been to don't have anything.

Oh sorry about that. Akente Express. It has EVERYTHING!!!

• Akente Express

• (303) 297-8817
  • 919 Park Ave W
  • Denver, CO 80205
  • sonance
    sonance

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 13th August 2010, 2:41 am

sonance wrote:
    WhosThatRedHead wrote:My bad... I meant which African store?? I've been to a few and the ones I've been to don't have anything.

Oh sorry about that. Akente Express. It has EVERYTHING!!!

• Akente Express

• (303) 297-8817
  • 919 Park Ave W
  • Denver, CO 80205

• Thanks! I'm going to check it out tomorrow!
    WhosThatRedHead
    WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybella 14th August 2010, 1:45 am

LOL. I am just the opposite. I have spent way more on my hair now than I ever have when I was relaxed. Where I was just buying the relaxer and maybe a shampoo and conditioner every now and then, it seems like I am always in the hair asile (maybe because I am? Suspect ) I am working on it though...slowly but surely!
    jaybella
    jaybella

http://public.fotki.com/lucidbeautyy/

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 14th August 2010, 1:47 am

@sonance I went by Akente Express and I like that store. I got some really cute earings from there. And Ilike that they have the sample sizes of Miss Jessies and Carol's Daughter.
    WhosThatRedHead
    WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseygirl 15th August 2010, 2:52 am

When I first did the BC I did my homework on products and purchased a few lines like Miss Jessie's and Kinky Curly. It took sometime but I made it work for me and a year later I still use the same products except I like Uncle Funky's Curl Magic instead of KC Curl Custard but I love Knots Today! I use two shampoos, a clarifyng and moisturing, two conditioner Sauve and MJ Rapid Recovery Deep Conditioner along with my coconuts, olive and castor oils, Aloe vera gel/Juice, and plenty of water. I get my MJ products once a year for Miss Jessie's BOGO Free around the Holiday's. I have saved so much money by not buying all those different products to try and not going to the salon. Now most products are sold at Wholes Food and Target with no shipping charges. Once you find out what works for your hair stick with it!
    jerseygirl
    jerseygirl

Back to top Go down

Does anyone notice how much they are saving being Natural? Empty saving money as a natural is a myth.

Post by whatgetsonmytits 17th August 2010, 11:58 am

I have spent even MORE money in the last 6 months since being natural than in the last 5 years when I had a relaxer! It is one of the great myths about being natural that it's "easier" or less expensive. I think the needs of curly hair are move complex and require a delicate balance, even more so than relaxed hair. Short of using just juices and berries in your hair, I it takes time and money to find that balance.

The first video I ever made was about this very topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlgWI5ekSTo
    whatgetsonmytits
    whatgetsonmytits

https://www.youtube.com/whatgetsonmytits

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanija 18th August 2010, 8:59 pm

I have spent more money since being natural, but I know it's because I was trying to find products that work for my hair. Now that we mainly use Qhemet Biologics and Oyin Handmade, I've only had to replenish our conditioners, and so I'm sure I'll see the savings soon.
    Alanija
    Alanija

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 19th August 2010, 4:54 pm

I'm just amazed at all the different products that people on these threads are using! I have really not ventured out from what I've been using the past two years becuase I'm happy with what I have. I do need to find a good mixture to put in a spray bottle to refresh my curls in the middle of the day or just to use at night before bed.
    sonance
    sonance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down