CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Dominican Blow-Outs damaging to the hair...?

+7
tamtam7
CurlyPA
Cnicoles6
krazy coils
BajanPrincess82
hisspunkin
curl_Gurl
11 posters

Go down

Are Dominican Blow-Outs damaging to the hair...? Empty Are Dominican Blow-Outs damaging to the hair...?

Post by curl_Gurl 6th August 2010, 2:16 pm

Last week I posted that I was looking for a salon that does Dominican blow-outs. And I received a lot of responses warning me to be cautious of Dominican blow-outs. I have not yet done any research to confirm this, so I wanted to know everyone's opinions or personal experiences with Dominican blow-outs. I've been transitioning for 5 months and instead of getting my hair flat ironed for a trim i thought i would get a blow-out that way I can get my trim and my hair could have some bounce and body to it. What do ya'll think...???
curl_Gurl
curl_Gurl

Back to top Go down

Are Dominican Blow-Outs damaging to the hair...? Empty Re: Are Dominican Blow-Outs damaging to the hair...?

Post by hisspunkin 7th August 2010, 9:23 pm

because of the heat, the bow out can be damaging....My whole entire life from being natural to relaxed to being natural i've gotten a dominican blow out from my mama or the salon...my advice is if its a one time thing fine, but dont make it a habit...try your best to stay away from heat
hisspunkin
hisspunkin

http://belladolceamaro.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Are Dominican Blow-Outs damaging to the hair...? Empty Re: Are Dominican Blow-Outs damaging to the hair...?

Post by BajanPrincess82 7th August 2010, 10:54 pm

I got a dominican blowout once and wouldn't do it again. They were so rough with my hair and used so much heat that I couldn't wait to get out of there. I mean, they were tugging and pulling and treating my head as if I was immune to pain or something. The result was silky, straight, bouncy hair, but it wasn't worth the pain and possible heat damage (didn't get any, thank God).
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 7th August 2010, 11:25 pm

I got Dominican blowouts a lot when I was relaxed. The heat is extreme and as Bajan Princess mentioned there is a lot of tugging and pulling with a round brush on your hair. I went to the Dominican salon when I was relaxed to help stretch my relaxers and the more new growth you have the more heat they will use to straighten your hair which can be damaging.

Not trying to scare you but with you being five months post its going to be a lot of heat used to get your hair soft and bouncy which is the look they go for. I was usually about 2-3 months post when I was going and I literally would grit my teeth through this process. I stopped going once I started to transition because I didn't want to damage my hair.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by curl_Gurl 8th August 2010, 1:00 am

Ladies thanks for the advice. I will take heed to your advice and avoid Dominican Blow-outs. I do not want any heat damage and sounds like I will have the potential of getting heat damage if i go this route.

So, when you ladies were transitioning what did ya'll do when you needed to get a trim? Just a regular blow dry..?? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
curl_Gurl
curl_Gurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Cnicoles6 8th August 2010, 1:06 am

I actually had my hair flat ironed when I needed a trim. (Bad Idea [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) But I do know there is a girl on You tube, not sure of her name, that shows you how to trim your own hair using twists. You may want to look her up.
Cnicoles6
Cnicoles6

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 8th August 2010, 8:30 am

I did have my hair flat ironed when I needed a trim but I stopped when I was in my fourth month of transitioning because I didn't want to risk damaging my hair. Then I BC'd in my seventh month. Maybe you can trim after a rollerset.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyPA 8th August 2010, 4:17 pm

Curl_Gurl
I have had experience with the Dominican blow outs. While the end product is nice it is very damaging. My hair was so heat damaged that I had to do a BC after being natural for 6yrs. My hair would not curl even with a twist out. My ends would just stay straight no matter what I did. I always looked like I was over due for a touch up. Now that I have gotten rid of the damaged hair with my BC I will not go back. Approach with caution
CurlyPA
CurlyPA

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 8th August 2010, 5:34 pm

I never had a relaxer, so I wasn't getting the blow-out during transitioning, I was just doing it for a different look. I usually just get my hair flat-ironed (or do it myself) when I want the straight look, but I decided to try this dominican salon that everybody was raving about.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by hisspunkin 9th August 2010, 5:47 pm

i actually blew my hair out ( bad idea) to get a trim or i trimmed it as i went along while my hair was wet but mostly i kept my hair in braids then when i had a good amount of length ( like an inch under my ear ) I cut off every permed end
hisspunkin
hisspunkin

http://belladolceamaro.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by curl_Gurl 11th August 2010, 1:53 pm

Okay ladies I finally watched a video of someone getting a Dominican blow-out...that is way too much heat. I will be better off getting my hair flat ironed. So I'm going to pass on getting the DB, my beautician will just have to trim my hair while its wet.

check out the video of the DB:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JtyB-HrEHg
curl_Gurl
curl_Gurl

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 12th August 2010, 12:08 am

I agree with hisspunkin, you don't want to make this a regular occurence. Depending on the texture of your hair, it could really damage your hair if you go too often. I have friends who have gone there and noticed a lot of breakage as a result. I've gone on a few occasions but it did not have a damaging effect on my hair.
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 12th August 2010, 10:46 pm

I used to flat iron my hair to trim also. But I just take off some from the twists that I wear. I use to worry that my hair would be uneven but it is not even an issue!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalnat 22nd August 2010, 8:05 pm

Some Dominican salons will set natural hair with rollers and put you under the dryer. Once they take the rollers out, you can ask them to simply wrap it.
Normally they would blow it out after they take the rollers out or flat iron it, but it's not really necessary.
Also, if you decide to go and get a roller set, I would suggets washing and conditioning your hair first. Go there with your hair in a few sections. All they would have to do is wet and set your hair. That way you can detangle and use the products you want.
naturalnat
naturalnat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 22nd August 2010, 9:28 pm

I do think they apply alot of heat with dominican blow outs. In my experience they were very rough in general so I stopped going once I started transitioning.

I do get my hair flat ironed when I need a trim & haven't experienced any damage. It really depends on the stylist. You just have to do your homework & make sure he/she knows what they're doing.
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by cdawnlujan 26th August 2010, 1:04 pm

My blow out experiance was great! She did a deep conditioner with steam first, put my hair in rollers, then gently blow dried my roots straight with a brush. No tugging or pulling. Then she passed a flat iron once and my hair was bouncy, shiny and extremely soft! No damage what so ever
cdawnlujan
cdawnlujan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down