CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this too much to pay?

+2
MelMelBee
Kimmie0810
6 posters

Go down

Is this too much to pay?  Empty Is this too much to pay?

Post by Kimmie0810 3rd August 2010, 2:47 pm

I asked the Pakistani lady that threads my brows where to get good Indian products (she used to work in a salon owned by Indian women) specifically henna & the Dabur Vatika oil. She told me where to get the oil but said don't buy the henna, that she would mix some for me with plenty to freeze for future uses. She even offered to apply the henna for me b/c she said "u can't get those greys" lol.

She's charging $30 for the henna & the application. I thought that was kind of steep b/c I see henna advertised for pennies online. But she's nice & always reasonable w/her prices so I figured it's worth it b/c she's taking her time to mix it for me.

But I just wanted to know if this seems to be too much to anyone else.
Kimmie0810
Kimmie0810

Back to top Go down

Is this too much to pay?  Empty Re: Is this too much to pay?

Post by MelMelBee 3rd August 2010, 7:26 pm

Hi Kimmie,

I'd say you should do your own cost benefit analysis. I paid $7 for a box of 100g of Jamila BAQ henna, and will follow instructions from Nikki to apply it. My hair is short and very porous, so I'm up for the challenge. Total cost=$7.

The only caution I'd have is where is she getting the henna from? If she mixes it, you can't guarantee that she is using BAQ or super-sifted 100% henna. She could be using dried grass for all you know Smile It's like cooking your own foods...you know and can control what goes in it!

Happy Hennaing!!!
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ~MyOhMie~ 4th August 2010, 4:56 pm

I agree with MelMelBee. You still wouldn't be certain of what she is adding to the mixture even if you were viewing her every step.
~MyOhMie~
~MyOhMie~

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 4th August 2010, 5:59 pm

I also agree with MelBee. May I suggest you have a family member or friend help you with your henna application if you are afraid to do it yourself. For your length, you will need 300 grams or more of henna. Save your $35 plus tip and treat yourself to something special. She may not have the patience to leave it on for 2 hours or more on your head.

The henna application process is very similar to applying a relaxer. The only difference is that you have to wrap plastic on your head to keep in moisture at the end. It is always wise to start from the back and work your way to the front of your head.

Here are some videos so you and a family member or friend may watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcSDEvjyB14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRmsYbKsLjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OObcuc6KpA4
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 7th August 2010, 12:44 am

Kimmie...I'll be in FL in 2 weeks for vacation....I'll charge you $19.99...what can I say, I'm a hustler!!! Tell your eyebrow lady to top that!!!!! LOL
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 8th August 2010, 8:19 pm

Kimmie0810 wrote:I asked the Pakistani lady that threads my brows where to get good Indian products (she used to work in a salon owned by Indian women) specifically henna & the Dabur Vatika oil. She told me where to get the oil but said don't buy the henna, that she would mix some for me with plenty to freeze for future uses. She even offered to apply the henna for me b/c she said "u can't get those greys" lol.

She's charging $30 for the henna & the application. I thought that was kind of steep b/c I see henna advertised for pennies online. But she's nice & always reasonable w/her prices so I figured it's worth it b/c she's taking her time to mix it for me.

But I just wanted to know if this seems to be too much to anyone else.

I agree and disagree with the other comments here. You should definitely learn how to mix and apply henna to your hair, one because it's easy and two because it's cheaper. HOWEVER, $30 for hennaing someone's long, thick hair is a deal to me. I think it costs $60 for a perm and flat iron and that does not take nearly the time and work of applying henna. PLUS you get to see someone who probably grew up hennaing her hair and watching her female relatives using henna so you will get a tutorial like none of us. Ask her to let you take pics and let us see.

I would suggest that you ask for the box of the henna she uses so you can buy it yourself for when you are ready to do it yourself. Ask her a lot of questions, like what did she use to mix it with, does she know how to use indigo, how often does she apply it, how long do you have to leave it on (usually henna is left on for HOURS so sitting in a salon would a be time consumer, another reason you should do it yourself because you could be doing things around the house while your henna is on), just ask her as many questions as you can think of, especially about the stuff you've read online.

I would bring my own conditioner though.
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimmie0810 13th August 2010, 10:00 am

Thanks ladies.

I went & had it done. I trusted her to mix the "right" thing b/c I've known her forever. I really would have just done it myself but she "insisted" so I let her do it. It was messy & I can see it being messy at home but it's nothing I can't handle.

I like the results. I have a grey streak in front which is now a fiery auburn. I'll be doing henna regularly from now on. I'd still like my dull brown hair to have a bit more pop (my hair is alot shorter now than my profile pic & is no longer that color).

Mel I'm not in FL anymore lol. I can't knock your hustle though girl.

Dang I guess I really need to update my pic & info, huh? LOL
Kimmie0810
Kimmie0810

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 13th August 2010, 10:44 am

@ kimmie0810 did she put you under the dryer or did you hang around for a few hours and let the henna sit?

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimmie0810 13th August 2010, 2:35 pm

I took plastic wrap & a scarf with me. So I wrapped my head & left. Left the henna in all day & overnight then rinsed the following day.
Kimmie0810
Kimmie0810

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 13th August 2010, 7:02 pm

Hi Kimmie,

I'm so glad your henna came out wonderful! I did my henna treatment a few days ago as well and the results were absolutely amazing. The color is gorgeous and it feels stronger and healthier.

I used Jamilla henna the way Nikki concocts it Smile then followed up with Phytojoba intense moisture mask. I left the henna on for about 12 hours and the DC in for about 5. I'm loving it! I'll have to update my pic too to show the color!

Happy Hennaing!!!

MelMelBee
MelMelBee

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 31st August 2010, 10:42 pm

Kimmie0810 wrote:I took plastic wrap & a scarf with me. So I wrapped my head & left. Left the henna in all day & overnight then rinsed the following day.

Did you pay $30 and did you feel it was worth it?
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimmie0810 11th September 2010, 10:35 pm

For the extra mixed henna it was worth it. She made a mess in the application lol.
Kimmie0810
Kimmie0810

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum