CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dry as a bone

+8
CarlaAR
mizcreativelyme
sissimpson
naturally Nubian
FloridaSunshiny
lovelydivine
freckledmom4
trugrit
12 posters

Go down

Dry as a bone Empty Dry as a bone

Post by trugrit 30th July 2010, 12:32 am

My hair is about 4 inches long, the roots are natural and about 3 inches and the ends are from a chemical process...its my roots, they are so dry. I am using (for the past week) Jason, vitamin E with A & C Shampoo No lauryl/laureth sultates shampoo (once) to wash it, then I put som Elay Shea 100% natural shea butter skin care cream on it while it was wet and Desert Essence Jojoba oil on it, about a quarters worth of the oil and about 1.5-2 table spoons of the butter...so each day I have been adding the oil and butter and it just sits on my hair...i have real, HARD, DRY hair whether processed or not, it's shedding a little...I know I have this hard hair, not silky curly like some, but I feel like this product mixture is not PENETRATING my hair shaft, I can barely get my fingers through it, its so thick, I like being natural, but it's so thick and tight (which is a blessing)...I just want it to be more managable...any suggestions.

trugrit

Back to top Go down

Dry as a bone Empty Re: Dry as a bone

Post by freckledmom4 30th July 2010, 12:02 pm

You are right. The butters and oils you are using will seal, but cannot penetrate the hair shaft. Try using a water based product for moisture like a kind of hair lotion/creamy leave-in condish before you seal. BTW coconut, olive and avacado oils can somewhat penetrate the cuticle. HTH
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Dry as a bone Empty thanks - any product suggestions

Post by trugrit 30th July 2010, 5:18 pm

thanks for the info, any product suggestions

trugrit

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 31st July 2010, 3:44 pm

I have used CD hair milk, sheamoisture curl milk, hawaiian silky 14 in 1, and palmers hair milk. The palmers milk and the shea moisture worked best for my hair. Idk what type of hair I have, but the middle is thick and always dry.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelydivine 1st August 2010, 5:52 pm

@freckledmom4 your avi is GORGEOUS!

lovelydivine

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 1st August 2010, 8:01 pm

lovelydivine wrote:@freckledmom4 your avi is GORGEOUS!

Thanks! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I forgot to mention that I've been using Giovanni Direct leave in as a daily moisturizer lately and it's REALLY creamy and thick so a little goes a long way.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by FloridaSunshiny 22nd August 2010, 4:38 pm

Hi there. My hair was dry as a desert too. I started steaming my hair once per week for 40 minutes with a super moisturizing, creamy condish and it's working wonders. Perhaps steaming may help?
FloridaSunshiny
FloridaSunshiny

Back to top Go down

Post by naturally Nubian 16th October 2010, 1:43 pm

I have type 4c hair that is extremely dry and porous. I find that vegetable glycerine spritz daily does the job! I use it morning and night and then follow up with a light leave in conditioner by shea moisture. I too find that shea butter and certain oils just sit on top of the hair which is what they are best at. This helps to seal in the moisture but you must wet the hair slightly first. Deep conditioning is essential to replace the oils lost from washing our hair.
naturally Nubian
naturally Nubian

https://www.youtube.com/user/NaturallyNubian?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by sissimpson 27th October 2010, 10:52 am

I primarily use homemade products. I have a watery hair lotion that I apply at night, then seal with my butters and oils mix. I think what is really working for me is that I wear about 5 to 7 sleep caps to bed! The heat helps the oils to be absorbed.

sissimpson

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 27th October 2010, 3:44 pm

Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie did WONDERS for my parched thick tresses. You can purchase at Target for $9.99.

ingredients;
Water, Shea butter, Mango Seed Butter, Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil, Aloe Leaf Extract, Silk Protein, Neem Seed Oil, Carrot Seed Oil, Essential Oil Blend, Honeysuckle Flower Extract, Lonicera Flower Extract, Japenese Flower Extract, Vitamin E
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 2nd November 2010, 7:28 pm

hapilycurlee wrote:Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie did WONDERS for my parched thick tresses. You can purchase at Target for $9.99.

ingredients;
Water, Shea butter, Mango Seed Butter, Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil, Aloe Leaf Extract, Silk Protein, Neem Seed Oil, Carrot Seed Oil, Essential Oil Blend, Honeysuckle Flower Extract, Lonicera Flower Extract, Japenese Flower Extract, Vitamin E

Not at my Target. No I may have to order this online.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanija 2nd November 2010, 10:55 pm

To combat dryness I've been spritzing my hair and applying a shea butter mixture. I do this at night and wear a shower cap under my bonnet.
Alanija
Alanija

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 3rd November 2010, 3:00 am

you may find that you are protein sensitive. pay close attention to how your hair reacts to the products you are putting in you hair, how your hair reacts &what ingredients are in it. keep a log of everything. it very important that you track each product before adding anything else to your hair so that its accurate. it may be one specific product, it may the combinations, the method or sequence of products. keeping a journal will help you find out what your hair likes/dislikes & what to not buy again lol. HTH!
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

http://www.twitter.com/Venus_Arising

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 3rd November 2010, 5:29 pm

Hi i'm not an expert i'm still in transition but i have been researching and applying what i've learned to my hair and it seems to work so far ... you should try getting a creamy water based leave in conditioner like Giovanni direct leave in , kinky curly knot today , or anything else that's natural (no silicone , sulfates , paraben ) etc add some oil of your liking like (castor oil , jojoba oil, extra virgin olive oil, and so on , some Aloe vera juice and water (vegetable glycerin optional) depending on your climate mix it in a spritz bottle and spray on your damp hair as a leave moisturizer than you can seal with Pure Shea butter (my favorite ) , or any oils of your liking that i stated above ... also be sure to stay away from product that contain mineral oils , petroleum etc ... Natural hair best friend is Water , so to add moisture your hair should always be damped use water based products (water/aqua) first ingredient , than shea butter or oils to seal
This is what i have tried so far and seems to work for me i had extreme dry hair type 4 like you hope this help ... Smile
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 26th November 2010, 11:01 pm

Hi trugrit,

i have real, HARD, DRY hair whether processed or not, it's shedding a little...I know I have this hard hair, not silky curly like some,

I think you just need to find the right techniques and products to soften & smooth your hair. How are you styling your hair?

I suggest that you skip the Elay Shea 100% natural shea butter skin care cream and see if you get different results. This formula may not be working for your hair.

There are naturals who find that oils and butters don't give them the best results. I have used the Desert Essence Jojoba Oil on my hair by istelf and it made my hair very soft.

I noticed that you do not have a conditioning step in your regimen. At the very least you need a rinse-out conditioner to help with manageability. I agree with naturally Nubian about using a Deep conditioner. You might also try applying a deep conditioner or oil on your dry hair as a pre-poo treatment to assist with detangling.

The last thing I would suggest is that you examine what you are doing to add moisture to your hair from the inside. Are you drinking enough water? Are you eating water-rich fruit &vegatables? Are you eating enough EFAs (essential fatty acids)?

HTH

Last edited by FalconTress on 28th November 2010, 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to correct a typo)

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum