CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey, it's Courtie!

+16
Curly Film Chick
sweetdrk1
Intelligentbeauty
Freestyles
Corygentri
Erica5417
rebelrocks
nmoultry
chuckles
Enchantment
CocoEuro
CurlyPhD
AfrikanLatina
ChrsLvsBks
Blackbeauty
Courtie
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hey, it's Courtie! Empty Hey, it's Courtie!

Post by Courtie 16th November 2009, 11:25 am

What's up, y'all?

I had a weekend full of foolishness, but I managed to get all kind of hair stuff done.
I am wearing my hair in a braid out -- here's how I got there.

Hey, it's Courtie! Court_42

I did these braids on dry hair with a little shea butter and Sunsilk Captivating Curls Gel & Cream Twist (I did a review in the product section). You can't really see from the picture how ridiculously shiny they are, but I did a henna gloss this weekend and my hair is very shiny.

Left them overnight, took them out at work.

Hey, it's Courtie! Court_43

Fluffed and went to put on my headband, only to realize I didn't have one with me. I can't take my hair in my face when I'm trying to work.

So I twisted up the sides of my hair and braided them into the back part.
That was two hours ago and it hasn't moved, so I guess I'm okay.
The front is fuzzier than I would like, though.

Hey, it's Courtie! Court_44

Hey, it's Courtie! Court_45
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Hey, it's Courtie! Empty Re: Hey, it's Courtie!

Post by Courtie 17th November 2009, 11:47 am

I found some split ends in my hair yesterday - NO BUENO.
I have not had a trim since my BC, I just hunt down knots and snip them
out. These are the first split ends I have seen, so hopefully it hasn't
gone too far. I am absolutely terrified to let anyone at a salon touch
my hair -- I don't want them putting anything in it.
I don't even want to straighten it to get a trim. My hair hates it.
So I guess I am going to trim it myself next time I put it in twists.

This is my hair today. It's in a pony puff. I couldn't be bothered.

Hey, it's Courtie! Court11
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackbeauty 17th November 2009, 5:36 pm

Your hair is beautiful, how long have you been natural?
Blackbeauty
Blackbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 18th November 2009, 10:39 am

Your hair's shine is blinging Hey, it's Courtie! Icon_cheers. I have only done a henna gloss once. I may have to try it more often.

I like MyGel by Joie to help control frizz. Another product that helps me combat some frizz is jojoba oil.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 18th November 2009, 11:21 am

@blackbeauty -- Thank you! I love your TWA, you're gorgeous. Two years without a relaxer, one year and 5 months since the BC.

@ChrisLvsBks -- Thanks, girl! Your hair is just beautiful. I am going to try some jojoba oil. I have a health store shopping trip due, so I am going to pick some up.
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 18th November 2009, 11:30 am

Oooh, my hair is looking dreadful.

I'm only allowed to style it twice a week, and I am trying to stay out of it until Friday night when my friend comes over so I can twist it while we watch TV.

So last night I was talking to my boyfriend and I walked past the mirror in our dining room and saw my hair. Hey, it's Courtie! Affraid
It was a fright. Dry-looking, frizzed out, floppy, etc. I think it's because I did my braid out on dry hair. Bantu knots are okay like that, but the braids did not hold their shape as well. I usually do braid/twist outs on soaking wet hair, and obviously I need to stick with that.
But I had to try to salvage the mess, so I got about a tablespoon of coco oil, heated it up, and smoothed it into my hair. I sectioned it out and ran a generous amount of it down each section. Then I put it up in a band and waited for it to absorb some of the oil. Later I smoothed some olive oil and shea butter on the ends, braided the hair into two sections, and slept.
When I woke up, it was still kind of frizzy, but way less dry-looking. It's still absorbing the oil. I'm really going to do my best to not re-twist or braid until Friday, but I don't know. Here's my hair today. Side ponytail.

Hey, it's Courtie! Court_62

And a close up of the texture. You can see most of the shape of the braids is gone. You can also see how red/purple my hair is in the light. This is when direct light hits it, like the sun or if I'm standing directly under a lightbulb.
My natural hair color is something like a chocolate brown.

Hey, it's Courtie! Court_63
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 18th November 2009, 11:53 am

Hey Courtie is the color change in your hair from Henna treatments? I like the reddish/purplish thing you have going.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyPhD 18th November 2009, 11:55 am

Your hair doesn't look dreadful to me!! I love that look. I NEED some thickness in my hair like you have so I can have a BIG puff... I think I have thick hair, but it just doesn't puff like yours. I'm working on it though. I may need a shaping for my hair to start growing "in the right direction"...

Either way, I LOVE it!
CurlyPhD
CurlyPhD

http://www.curlyphd.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 18th November 2009, 12:08 pm

Mine only does it because I pick it out with my fingers to make it big. I stick my hands in my hair at the roots and pick it out, but I don't separate the ends. Then as the days go on it gets bigger.

My hair does pretty much what yours does in your avatar when I leave it alone.
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyPhD 19th November 2009, 12:36 am

Great! So, there is hope for bigger hair! I'm going to try what you do. Thanks!
CurlyPhD
CurlyPhD

http://www.curlyphd.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 19th November 2009, 10:41 am

Okay, so yesterday my hair was a mess.
I got home, looked at it, it was greasy and dull. I realized this was probably due to cone build-up, because I hadn't shampooed my hair recently, just co-washed. I'll never make that mistake again.
So I shampooed with Tresemme Moisturizing Shampoo (it's what my boyfriend uses, I only used a small amount), conditioned with Hello Hydration, detangled (it wasn't too bad), then DCd with a blend of yogurt, olive oil, shea butter, coconut oil, and honey. I left that on for about 40 minutes. I took it off when it started leaking out of the cap and down my neck.
I'd stopped at the store earlier to purchase my first bottle of Giovanni Direct Leave-In, so I used a generous amount of that once I got out of the shower. I used nothing else except a little shea butter to seal.
Then I just let it dry -- I usually don't do wash n gos, but I had no time to twist.

Let me tell you, that leave-in is no joke! My hair is soft, shiny, moisturized, and there is no residue on my hand after I touch my hair! My wash n gos never make it past the first day, and when I woke up today, every curl was intact. The front of my hair dries really quickly, and I should have re-wet it before putting the Giovanni on, so it's a little frizzy, but this is the best curl retention I've had from a wash n go, EVER. This is a holy grail product. I can't wait to use it for my braid-out this weekend!

Here's my hair today -- 2nd day wash n go with Giovanni Direct Leave In:

Hey, it's Courtie! Court_64

And a texture close-up:

Hey, it's Courtie! Court_65

Compare that with a texture shot from two weeks ago. This is a wash n go with just HH and shea butter:

Hey, it's Courtie! Court_66

You can see in the first picture the curls are a lot more clumped together, where in the second picture they are small and separated. The second picture illustrates why I usually get fairy knots from wash n gos -- there are too many tiny, separate curls that are winding around themselves. I am going to leave this one in until Saturday and then see what the knot situation is like.
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 19th November 2009, 12:17 pm

woo hoo...I ordered Giovianni's Leave-in today!!! Can't wait to get it!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 19th November 2009, 1:41 pm

Girl, you will not turn back!
I just bought it on a whim, I will never go without it again!
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by Enchantment 19th November 2009, 2:20 pm

I didn't twist my hair with Direct Leave-in, but I used it to freshen my twist up,they looked great!! I love it. It's great for wash n go's too as you said.
Enchantment
Enchantment

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 20th November 2009, 2:08 pm

3rd day wash and go --- This is uncharted territory! I have not touched my hair. I pineappled it last night and put on a bonnet. I woke up and adjusted the ponytail. That's it!
Giovanni Direct Leave-In, I love you.

Hey, it's Courtie! Court_68

Hey, it's Courtie! Court_69
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by chuckles 20th November 2009, 8:17 pm

I am so happy I came across your post! I'm new to transitioning. I only started in July. I recently bought Giovanni products and I'm shocked at how healthy my hair feels and looks! The Giovanni Tea Tree condition is awesome! I also use HH (ummm.....the one that hydrates and smells awesome in the blue bottle...I'm too lazy to get up), and Deva Curl one conditioner. I went from being knotty each time I had to wash my hair to almost no knots. AND this is after I do a wash and go, which usually will last me five days. I simply pineapple at night, put on my silk bonnet, and go to sleep. I wake up and spritz my hair with water that has a Deva Curl One Conditioner it in and go.
chuckles
chuckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 23rd November 2009, 11:42 am

UGGGGGHHHHH.

So I henna'ed on Saturday and forgot to take pics. Here's what happened.

I used 200g of Mehandi alone, mixed with 6 oz of really strong green tea, took 1/4 of it, froze it. Mixed the rest with about 1/2 can of coconut milk, applied, let sit for 2.5 hours.

Rinsed with HH, then DCd with an olive oil pack mixed with yogurt, Giovanni Direct Leave In, and coco oil. Left that in for an hour. Rinsed, co-washed with HH, got out the shower, put in the Leave In, got ready to twist, and realized that I LEFT MY DENMAN AT MY BEST FRIEND'S HOUSE!!!! By this time it was 11 PM and too darn late to ride over there.

The abject horror. So I just had to let it dry, because my twist/braid outs DEPEND on the Denman for smoothness. When I woke up the next morning, my hair looked fine but was a little crunchy. I put a lot of Leave In in my hair because I thought I was going to twist it. I would have put less for a wash n go. But it got softer as the day went on. Then life intervened on Sunday and I was not able to go get my beloved brush.

MY. HAIR. LOOKS. TERRIBLE. I absolutely depend on that Denman to smooth and clump my curls. My hair is moisturized and shiny from the henna and the Giovanni, but texture-wise, it looks like I've been sleeping on it raw for the last five days. I am going to my bff's house on my LUNCH HOUR (her house is closer to my job than to my house) so when I get home I can tackle the beast. Ugh, I will never in my life leave that brush anywhere again. In fact, I'm buying a back up.

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of my hair after I let it dry somewhat when I realized the brush was gone.

Hey, it's Courtie! Cj210

My eyes are always bloodshot after I henna cause I always get it in my face.

Here's a picture of the texture today -- I can't even take it. It's too hot to wear a hat, so I just had to suck it up and look stupid.

Hey, it's Courtie! Court_70

Yuck.
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 24th November 2009, 12:04 pm

Yesterday I got my brush back and tackled my hair. And even with an undetangled wash n go, Giovanni STILL stopped the fairy knots. Stopped them in their tracks. I had maybe two, I usually have about ten.

I love that stuff. Love. It.

Here are some pics of my braid out done with Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Conditioner and Giovanni Direct Leave In. I did a Cherry Lola and a henna treatment on Saturday, so I'm nice and shiny!

Hey, it's Courtie! Court_71

Hey, it's Courtie! Court_72

Blinging. Henna is no joke, people! Get into it.
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by nmoultry 24th November 2009, 12:07 pm

Your hair is blinging! I thought about Henna several times, but I've decided against it because it's permanent and I might get the itch for more high lights again in the future. I love your henna results though

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelrocks 24th November 2009, 12:19 pm

omg you really are blinging, awesome! Smile my eyes hurt! Hey, it's Courtie! Icon_cool
rebelrocks
rebelrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 24th November 2009, 12:20 pm

Thanks!

Yeah, I used to have highlights like yours. Now they are red and purple like the rest of it. I have thought about getting them done again, but not with the henna --- I agree. Honestly, I don't love the color deposit, but I can't deny the benefits.

I have heard a ton of good stuff about cassia. It has the same benefits, just no color deposit, and it doesn't have the curl loosening effect that henna can have. As a bonus, I've heard it brightens lighter hair like blonde and gray hair, so it would give your highlights a boost!
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 24th November 2009, 12:22 pm

@rebelrocks -- It's mostly the henna, but the Giovanni and the Organix is helping, too. This is the shiniest my hair has ever been. I was using the Organix shea butter condish before, but I think the coconut is the one for me.
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by nmoultry 24th November 2009, 12:25 pm

Funny thing is I ordered Cassia and the more I thought about it and researched I decided against it also. I know it's not supposed to be as long lasting as Henna but I'm still skeptical. My mind changes with the wind, I never plan to perm again but I can't say that I will never high light again and to be on the safe side I might need to stick to deep conditioning and protein treatments.

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelrocks 24th November 2009, 12:32 pm

Courtie wrote:@rebelrocks -- It's mostly the henna, but the Giovanni and the Organix is helping, too. This is the shiniest my hair has ever been. I was using the Organix shea butter condish before, but I think the coconut is the one for me.

tell me more about this giovanni and organix *gets pen ready* Hey, it's Courtie! Icon_geek Hey, it's Courtie! Icon_scratch
rebelrocks
rebelrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 24th November 2009, 12:52 pm

Yes, you are blinging Hey, it's Courtie! Icon_cool .

How long do you let your henna sit? I think if you let it sit for a short time, not sure of length, you will avoid the red with henna. Just curious in knowing if you've tried this.

What does the Cherry Lola treatment do for you? I have heard of it but cannot recall. Thanks.

Do you rinse with cold water after deep conditioning? I love it. It helps my hair clump for thicker curls, I hope that makes sense.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum