CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna Mixers

+4
Carolina Natural
envizionj
ChrsLvsBks
carfi366
8 posters

Go down

Henna Mixers Empty Henna Mixers

Post by carfi366 21st July 2010, 2:48 pm

The first time I used henna I mixed it with water. Is this okay to do or should I move up to using other mixers that I have read on the forums, i.e. coconut milk, Orange and lemon juice, yogurt, honey?

Thanks
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Henna Mixers Empty Re: Henna Mixers

Post by ChrsLvsBks 21st July 2010, 5:18 pm

Hi lady!

I would suggest adding green tea. Make the tea using one parts water and two parts tea. This will help the dye release. So you may experience more of a tint. After doing that at least once, try orange juice or lemon juice then have fun with the rest. I think the thing is to see how your hair reacts before putting too many ingredients in the henna.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 21st July 2010, 5:42 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Hi lady!

I would suggest adding green tea. Make the tea using one parts water and two parts tea. This will help the dye release. So you may experience more of a tint. After doing that at least once, try orange juice or lemon juice then have fun with the rest. I think the thing is to see how your hair reacts before putting too many ingredients in the henna.
`

Thanks Miss Lady!
How many teabags should I use for my green tea?
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 21st July 2010, 7:16 pm

The only acid I will use in my henna will be Amla powder (2 tablespoons to 100 grams of henna). I have tried lemon juice, orange juice, and hibiscus in the past and I find them very drying. I may try the coconut milk although I did a treatment with that by itself before from a video I saw on Youtube.com and my hair was like straw afterwards. It took a lot of conditioning to get the moisture back.

Carfi, did you get a good color deposit with just plain water? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 21st July 2010, 8:39 pm

@envizionj, I wished I had read more about the amla powder and how much to add to henna. I used the whole 25g. Needless to say, I felt like my head was on fire. The lady that threads my eyebrows is from India and she said I better be glad I still have hair. She told me that if you have a steamer you can henna in 30 min!

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Talisa3636 21st July 2010, 9:35 pm

I tried coconut milk with my last mix and it was one of my best results ever! I usually mix with a small bit of infused ACV and raspberry tea or sorrel for a deeper red but coconut milk produces a great dye release, moisturizes and helps detangling go super smooth, literally. My next henna day is on sunday and I will use the coconut milk, sorrel (boiling water and hibiscus seeped for a deep burgundy color tea) and a teaspoon of infused ACV like the last mix!
Talisa3636
Talisa3636

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 22nd July 2010, 12:20 am

envizionj wrote:The only acid I will use in my henna will be Amla powder (2 tablespoons to 100 grams of henna). I have tried lemon juice, orange juice, and hibiscus in the past and I find them very drying. I may try the coconut milk although I did a treatment with that by itself before from a video I saw on Youtube.com and my hair was like straw afterwards. It took a lot of conditioning to get the moisture back.

Carfi, did you get a good color deposit with just plain water? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yes I did, my avi pic are the fresh results. I want to add the amla powder this time also. If I use the amla I shouldn't need anything but water right? Do I just add the powder to the henna mix or do I have to mix the amla before adding to the henna?
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 22nd July 2010, 6:04 pm

Carfi, your color came out great with just plain water. I wonder if the henna lasts as long without an acid. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Add 2 tablespoons of Amla powder to 100 grams of henna and then add your water and mix to a pudding/yogurt consistency. Amla is your acid. Try mixing the henna and amla ahead of time, get the dye release after 12 hours and then freeze until you are ready to use it. I have noticed that I get a richer auburn from the henna that has been frozen. The theory that the jagged edges of the henna defrosting releases more dye seems to be the true.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 23rd July 2010, 6:50 pm

carfi366 wrote:The first time I used henna I mixed it with water. Is this okay to do or should I move up to using other mixers that I have read on the forums, i.e. coconut milk, Orange and lemon juice, yogurt, honey?

Thanks

Yes, it's fine to only use water. Many Indians do this. I did it myself on one attempt also and the dye release was fine even though the pH of my water is 7.7!
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 24th July 2010, 1:02 pm

Thnks ladies, I will have to note how long my color lasts and purchase a oh testers, I never realized how the ph in even water can effect my mix..
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 3rd August 2010, 8:35 pm

Carolina Natural wrote:@envizionj, I wished I had read more about the amla powder and how much to add to henna. I used the whole 25g. Needless to say, I felt like my head was on fire. The lady that threads my eyebrows is from India and she said I better be glad I still have hair. She told me that if you have a steamer you can henna in 30 min!

I'm so sorry Carolina Natural but when I read this I bust out laughing...OMGosh! I'm so sorry, because I know that may have been traumatizing for you. I guess I was just imagining the entire scene in my head. I'm so glad that you still have hair Smile

Peace and Love
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 4th August 2010, 9:11 am

@ MelMelBee, girl it was horrible. I bet I know how much to add the next time, but I'm going to use Karisham Henna the next time so I don't think I need to add anything extra except water or coconut milk.

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 4th August 2010, 10:34 am

envizionj wrote:Carfi, your color came out great with just plain water. I wonder if the henna lasts as long without an acid. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Add 2 tablespoons of Amla powder to 100 grams of henna and then add your water and mix to a pudding/yogurt consistency. Amla is your acid. Try mixing the henna and amla ahead of time, get the dye release after 12 hours and then freeze until you are ready to use it. I have noticed that I get a richer auburn from the henna that has been frozen. The theory that the jagged edges of the henna defrosting releases more dye seems to be the true.

OMG Envicionj I loved my results with the amla added to my henna [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Thanks for the suggestion. I still followed up with 50 grams of indigo to tone down the grey areas which are so fabulously funky but too much for work. I think I have found a henna mix that works for me. In the future I may try coconut milk. If I try the coconut milk I don't need to use the amla, right?
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 4th August 2010, 5:40 pm

Carfi, you are welcome. I am wearing the funky auburn and you only see it when I part my hair. To tone it down, I use the Kiss hair color stick and brush it over the area. Unfortunately, I cannot use indigo because it gives me migrane headaches no matter how small a portion.

I plan to try the coconut milk next time also. R2D2 told me in my coconut milk post, that she thought it was okay to add the amla if I was using it to tone down the auburn from the henna. I normally add to my Jamila henna mix 2 tablespoons of Amla, 1 tablespoon of Brahmi and 1 tablespoon of Maka. I mix all the powders together and then add the liquid. R2D2 had even posted a link where I can make my own coconut milk since my concern was 15 mg of sodium in the ingredients. I'll probably go to the health food store and search for a sodium-free coconut milk or make my own.

I am still looking and Sharika (aka ButterQueen) from Butters-N-bars.com is researching something similar to indigo that will make hair a dark brown or black. She was last researching some sort of clay. I hope she comes through soon since I will henna at the end of the month.
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by octobercurls 23rd August 2010, 5:31 pm

envizionj-

thanks for the information on mixing with Alma. I am going to try this on my first henna on Thursday night. Now is it true that by using Alma, you save your curl pattern? Also, is there a particular brand of Alma oil that you use?

Lastly, I ordered from butter and bars their "Spice Mix" It's 100 grams Jamila henna, 100 grams cloves & cinnamon. It's supposed to give a brown highlight to your hair. From those of you veteran henna users any advice?

octobercurls
octobercurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 23rd August 2010, 5:55 pm

I did a henna treatment Friday using coconut milk and amla powder. OMG! it was the best mix EVER! My hair wasn't as dry and the henna had a slip to it like the conditioners do. LOVE IT! I will use coconut milk from now on!

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by octobercurls 23rd August 2010, 6:02 pm

@ envizionj- Nevermind. I saw your post on another forum. I am going to try your method. you offer a lot of information based on your experiences- THANKS BUNCHES!
@ Corlina Natural- what was your mix of coconut oil & alma ( 1 tspn, 20/80, etc)

Thanks everyone!
octobercurls
octobercurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 23rd August 2010, 9:25 pm

Hi Octoberculrs,

I used 200g of Reshema Henna from my local Indian store and 2 table spoons of Amla and 1 can of coconut milk.

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down