CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any doctors on here?

+2
lumii
Humblebug
6 posters

Go down

Any doctors on here? Empty Any doctors on here?

Post by Humblebug 20th July 2010, 5:48 pm

I want to be a doctor (not sure which type yet). I have never met a women of colour who was one. I have a few years to go but it would be sweet to meet some.

Or pre-med students and medical students!
Humblebug
Humblebug

Back to top Go down

Any doctors on here? Empty Re: Any doctors on here?

Post by lumii 20th July 2010, 6:47 pm

I don't know about where you live but I have met about 3 female doctors here in Germany, who are really successful.
One was a dentist with her own medical practise and the 2.. dunno what exactly
Was also playing with the thought before but still got lots of time ahead of me.. well 3 years to be exact but still!
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

Post by Humblebug 20th July 2010, 7:02 pm

Nope, not one. A LOT of black nurses though, but I'm definitely not interested in that.

And I live in Canada, stated right under my avatar.
Humblebug
Humblebug

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 20th July 2010, 8:09 pm

Hi !! I'm a pre-med student. It is hard to meet women of color in the medical field but they do exist. Im interested in neonatology/pediatrics. I know there is a medical student on here but she's a busy bee.
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by enitan 20th July 2010, 9:28 pm

Hi humblebug, i'm a doctor, what would you like to know?
enitan
enitan

Back to top Go down

Post by Napp_Napp_Cat 20th July 2010, 9:30 pm

I love seeing women of color in high ranking professions!! Smart Women are all around. My dentist is a black woman and she is GOOD!!
Napp_Napp_Cat
Napp_Napp_Cat

http://theabccollege.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by justicenga 20th July 2010, 10:03 pm

Wow...I guess it really depends on where you live. My general physician, ob/gyn, dentist, dermatologist, opthmologist and son's pediatrician are all black. Of course I am in Atlanta but goodness to not know any. Wow.
justicenga
justicenga

Back to top Go down

Post by Humblebug 20th July 2010, 11:14 pm

I'm sure there are some in Canada of course lol, but I know none. My doctor is a black man and my dentist is white. I know women of colour with high positions (my mom works in the technology field), just not in medical. But I'm glad to know that there are people on here.

For both enitan and mverde3:
How did/do you get through school and social life during your pre-med
years?
What did/do you study prior to medical school?
Which extra-curricular activities did/do you do?

...that's all I can think of now :/. I'm going into senior year and in Canada first year university is general (so life sciences). But I want to go into Chemistry and Math, because I love both.
Humblebug
Humblebug

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 20th July 2010, 11:23 pm

I'm about to start my third year of undergrad. Time management is your friend. It can be done but you have to know when to play and when to focus. I'm about to buy my prep books for the MCAT when I take it during the summer of 2011. I'm in some prehealth clubs, and other clubs not related to health. I'm also doing research,working, and volunteering. Being well rounded is a great attribute that will benefit you. Just don't overload yourself. I've seen older peers put too much on themselves and it hurt their chances. Consistency is key Smile You sound very determined so I know you won't have trouble enhancing your resume for medical school.
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by lumii 21st July 2010, 6:26 am

Humblebug wrote:

And I live in Canada, stated right under my avatar.

I actually meant the state you're from, because I know 2 black female doctors from Germany who moved to Quebec!!
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

Post by Humblebug 21st July 2010, 12:25 pm

@mverde Thank you. The thing I'm worried about is procrastination. Being honest, here I'm able to get through high school like that, but I know procrastinators marks drop in university haha. How are the science courses? I know that everyone finds biology easier, but I'd rather be doing chemistry :/ but I have to take biology courses.

@lumii - I am in Ontario.
Humblebug
Humblebug

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 21st July 2010, 12:35 pm

Lol yeah proscrastination will hurt you more than anything. Lol the science courses are pretty good. Since you like chemistry, organic chem probably won't be bad for you. Overall, as long as you focus, they are all good classes.
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by Humblebug 21st July 2010, 1:02 pm

Oh, I have another question! (sorry). Not sure how it works in the states, but here first year university you have to take a physics course in first year. It's connected to living things. But the Grade 12 Physics isn't required b/c they both don't relate in subject but I currently have Grade 12 Physics just in case. Do you think it's going to help?

As you can see, I worry more about the future than the present. Thanks for the help!
Humblebug
Humblebug

Back to top Go down

Post by enitan 21st July 2010, 8:38 pm

humblebug, i'm studied in the united kingdom, so i'm not entirely sure how my answers will be of much help to you, but seeing as the joy of medicine is that it's pretty much the same everywhere, i'm glad to be of assistance [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

How did i get through med school: you kinda learn as you go along. I found balancing my social and work life a pretty big challenge especially in the last three years as the heat turns up, but being very organised is key. you gotta learn time management, work very hard and play hard. Don't worry about not knowing how to manage time, it's a skill you pick up along the way. I found that having an organiser/big calender on your wall with deadlines and everything written on it, so you can allocate your tiime properly. Also, never underestimate the power of rest, it'll do you much good!

In terms of social life; med school is the one thing i know that sucks the social right out your life! you NEED a social life otherwise, you'll find things really difficult. trust me, i learned the hard way! basically you are going to have to make an effort, schedule time out with friends if you have to. Don't let it slide.

What pre-med did i do: in the uk, we don't need to do a first degree to get into med school, so i didn't. i did do a year of sciences tho: i studied organic chemistry, neuroscience, maths, biology and something else i forget now. i can honestly say that it didnt make a difference in med school at all, medicine's so different from basic sciences. that being said, i did enjoy it Smile

extra-curricular activities: juggling med school, tryna have a social life and a part time job, i didnt really have time for extra-curricular activities! lol.. didnt matter tho, as long as you're out there doing things you ENJOY you'll be fine. Enjoy's the key word, don't get sucked into clubs you have no interest in just to make your cv look prettier, you'll be none the happier for that.

I hope i've been helpful. I'll be happy to answer any more questions or just be a shoulder for you thru med school [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
enitan
enitan

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 21st July 2010, 8:57 pm

@Enitan, at any time during your premed years were you nervous as interviews/applications came around? Do you feel that weighs less or more than GPAs/MCAT score?
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by Humblebug 22nd July 2010, 10:09 am

Thank you so much! You answered my questions very thorough. And I would also like to know the answer to mverde's question.

And you only did one year of science? I don't think a bachelor's is needed here, but it's hard to get in without one or a master's.
Humblebug
Humblebug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum