CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My "Fabulous" Journey

+15
priceless
MellowOne
nattyblog
KinkyNappyHappy
mstokes2008
NubieNatty
CocoEuro
TheRYL1
CurlsGalore
SheeTacular
sweetdrk1
poeticlyspkng
krazy coils
CrissyQ
Fabulousat50
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

My "Fabulous" Journey Empty My "Fabulous" Journey

Post by Fabulousat50 18th July 2010, 9:44 pm

Hi Ladies, I have just started on this fabulous journey to naturalism. I thought I would document it. My daughter (MStokes2008) started her journey earlier this year and did her BC in March of this year. She had the most beautiful thick, shoulder length hair. (or so I thought) Problem was she had become addicted to the creamy crack. Once she did her big chop, she became more and more excited about her natural hair every day. Her excitement got me more and more excited. She started telling me about her journey and made me decide to start my own journey. So here I am. My last perm was Feb 2010. I didn’t consciously decide to transition until a couple of weeks ago. I did my first cowash this past week. I used products that my daughter had already because I had no idea where to start for myself. My daughter was really excited about the curls that I had after the wash. I eventually got excited too and just wanted to do something else to my hair! I didn’t care what I just wanted to feel like I was doing something. ( I know that sounds crazy, but that’s how I felt!!) My daughter gave me a homework assignment the other night. She asked me different questions about what’s good or not good for your hair. We talked about different ingredients in products and products in general. My assignment was to find the answers and give it to her the next day. I searched CurlyNikki and YouTube and found lots of information. I was surprised there was so much info out there. The next day we went to lunch together and went to a store and read ingredients on the products while she explained them to me. I felt like a kid on a field trip. Anyway, this weekend my husband went out of town to visit relatives and my daughter who goes to college about 30 miles away decided to come home for the weekend and we decided to have a “hair” weekend. We took a “field trip” to Whole Foods. I got really excited in there. Then I found an area with travel size products. My "Fabulous" Journey Icon_eek I almost lost it!!! I think I bought every travel size moisturizer they had, that fit into the criteria of products that I learned about. My hair is very fine and has thinned a lot in the front on top so I struggle with trying to figure what style I would wear while transitioning. Currently I wear wigs but I would like to wear my own hair out. I decided I wanted to try a braid out! So we conditioned my hair and cornrowed it. I left them in for 2 days and on Saturday when I took them out I was pleased with the results. The only thing is, my hair in the front went limp after a couple of hours! I haven’t decided for sure if I will BC or not, so to get a feel of how I would look with a TWA, we went to wig stores and I tried on short fros. I pretty much liked it, but don’t know if I’m quite ready to go that short yet. In the meantime I found a really cute curly quick weave that I liked and will wear for awhile. Hopefully you all will follow me on my journey and offer advice any time. My main concerns right now are –alternate hair styles, what should I do for and to disguise my thinning front area. Also, how often should I condition, cowash, poo etc? Wish me luck!! Hope to hear from you all soon!! My "Fabulous" Journey Icon_geek
Fabulousat50
Fabulousat50

Back to top Go down

My "Fabulous" Journey Empty Re: My "Fabulous" Journey

Post by CrissyQ 18th July 2010, 10:19 pm

Welcome. I have seen you around and I was wondering when you were going to come over and start your journal. I saw a picture of your curls and they are nice My "Fabulous" Journey Herz . Welcome again and I will see you around.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 18th July 2010, 10:19 pm

Welcome to Curl Street!
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabulousat50 18th July 2010, 10:41 pm

CrissyQ wrote:Welcome. I have seen you around and I was wondering when you were going to come over and start your journal. I saw a picture of your curls and they are nice My "Fabulous" Journey Herz . Welcome again and I will see you around.
Thanks CrissyQ my daughter talked me into starting the journal. I get lost on the computer sometimes so she has to guide me!! I'm so glad she is there for me! We are having fun going through this journey together. I got really excited about my curls too. I see hair in a whole new way these days LOL!! How long have you been natural and how has you journey been so far?
Fabulousat50
Fabulousat50

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabulousat50 18th July 2010, 10:45 pm

krazy coils wrote:Welcome to Curl Street!
thanks Krazy Coils, i Love Love Love your hair. the style looks really nice on you. That is my goal to get coils that look lioke yours. My hair is so thin that i don't think i will get the same effect . . . . .But. . . now that i am going natural, hopefully as it gets healthier i may get some of those effect!! wish me luck!! My "Fabulous" Journey Icon_biggrin
Fabulousat50
Fabulousat50

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 18th July 2010, 11:38 pm

Hey! Welcome to you! Good to see you here!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 18th July 2010, 11:50 pm

welcome to curl street!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabulousat50 18th July 2010, 11:55 pm

poeticlyspkng wrote:Hey! Welcome to you! Good to see you here!
thank you, glad to be here!! Looking forward to exchaning ideas and getting advice from everyone!
Fabulousat50
Fabulousat50

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabulousat50 18th July 2010, 11:57 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:welcome to curl street!
Thank you Sweetdrk1. I just wanted to say that i love your avitar. i love the colors in your hair and the style really suits you! I'm glad to be here and can't wait to hear more advice and tips from everyone!!
Fabulousat50
Fabulousat50

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 19th July 2010, 12:53 am

Welcome!!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 19th July 2010, 1:15 am

Welcome to the neighborhood! You're going to love it here!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 19th July 2010, 4:34 am

Welcome...come on in! :-)

I think it's great that you and your daughter can share this journey together. My daughter & I are on totally opposite ends of the spectrum! LOL
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 19th July 2010, 5:30 am

Welcome! Your story is so cute and touching!!!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 19th July 2010, 8:00 am

Hey Fabulous,

I have also replied in my thread but figured you would come here first. You asked about keeping your cornrows moisturized. I do spray my twists daily. Before I started using my current moisturizer I used the Jane Carter leave-in which is a liquid leave-in spray. If you have any liquid leave-in you can use it to spray your cornrows daily, pay attention to your ends and seal with an oil. You don't want them to become dry because this can increase breadage.

You can also make your own moisturizer by using water adding some type of conditioner and different oils. Just make sure you keep them moisturized. HTH

Last edited by krazy coils on 19th July 2010, 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 20th July 2010, 1:45 am

heeeeeey i was hopin u started a journal. i LOVE ur story and im totally so proud of you to learn from ur daughter..hahahahaha now its time for YOU to listen to her, lol. that is so sweet My "Fabulous" Journey Herz

well i think u could totally rock a twa when u bc. i honestly cant see why anybody in texas wanna walk around wit hair on their head cuz when i visited houston (in my permie days) i didnt step outside til after 8p **wiping sweat off forehead** and i just hate anything touchin my neck in the heat. girrrrrrrrl gone n do that BC. im tellin you u will NOT regret it. its just so much easier and less work. when i turn 50 im gonna keep a low amber rose cut forever cuz i know im not gonna have the patience for alot of hair. im actually itchin to cut it now but i think im gonna wait til next summer becuz after Aug im gettin some form of braids for 2-3 months.

but im definitely gonna follow ur journey and mstokes is an excellent source to follow! her growth is amazing! since ur hair is more fine, u really wont need much product becuz u dont wanna weigh it down.

u make me wanna come over to visit for real My "Fabulous" Journey Icon_biggrin
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 23rd July 2010, 12:17 am

HERE YOU GO!!!!

My "Fabulous" Journey Dsc01618

My "Fabulous" Journey Dsc01619

My "Fabulous" Journey Dsc01620

My "Fabulous" Journey Dsc01621

My "Fabulous" Journey Dsc01622

My "Fabulous" Journey Dsc01623
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabulousat50 23rd July 2010, 12:24 am

yippee she posted my pictures. as you can all see, this is after my first cowash! you can see how thin my hair is on the top. My last perm was 2 Feb 2010. okay Ladies - give me your thoughts!!
Fabulousat50
Fabulousat50

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 23rd July 2010, 12:25 pm

Welcome to CS!!! I'm so glad that you started a thread. I love your story, and I love the bond you and your daughter have. She has a lot of knowledge, and I love her product reviews. You are so lucky to have her support.

I think you would have a beautiful TWA. My hair was very thin in the top, but it is starting to thicken up now. I don't know if my hair will ever get as thick as it was when I was in my 20's or 30's, but I'm just glad its healthy now!!

With tender loving care, and product knowledge (which you are gaining now) you will see those thin areas thicken up in no time.

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog 23rd July 2010, 12:42 pm

Hey Fab!! I just saw mstokes' page and I found out your her mommy!! That's so cool!

It happened the other way around for me. My mom went natural first and I touched her hair one day. It was soooo soft!! So that put the bug in me to go natural and I did later on that year. My mom thins on top in the same way. But she goes back and forth being natural and wearing wigs and lace front weaves and I even saw a texturizer in her bathroom that I think she used on herself or my dad-but I'm not sure which. Her hair is still pretty kinky so....She really didn't get into the natural journey. It's just whatever she wants to do at the time. In fact, she just cut it all off again! I admire her for hair not being a big deal with her. But at the same time, I still want my hair to be healthy and happy so I do the journey thing. Anyway, I have done comb/finger coils on her and placed them so that the area is less noticeable and she loves them! You might want to try that when you've bc'd. Not sure if that will work at the moment (but it still couldn't hurt to try it). You might like it!! And comb/finger coils are a really nice style to grow out a twa if you ever want to grow it out.

Btw, her hair did grow out and I think her thinner areas got fuller over time as well because I don't see them as prominently as I used to. Probably not like her twenties. But still fuller. But as she is really not into the journey thing, if she was really trying, it probably could have gotten fuller still. Since you're a little more on the serious side of the journey thing, you should probably see some good progress with that.
nattyblog
nattyblog

http://naturalgeek.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 23rd July 2010, 10:58 pm

heeeeeeeey girl, u do have loose curls; what u talkin bout!!! go head n do that bc n get it over with; ur gonna look great wit a twa!! for the thinness i'd recommend: scalp massages, vitamin e oil (u can find it at cvs in the medicine aisle too) and castor oil. i use castor when my edges get thin! ur not gonna make it til sept...even though its technically around the corner, ur daughter has ur back so what are u waiting for...

as far as the eco...i love this stuff. i realized today i can achieve a wash n go with it like i did last month. the longer my hair gets the more work i gotta do which is noooo fun! everyone complains about the crunchiness effects but i can go more than 3-4 days n just freshen n go! my style last longer n i aint got no business havin my hands in my hair anywayz to notice the crunchiness. i spritz my hair w/water n oil before i add the eco and u can pair it with a styler or shea (i know some people LOVE the eco custard-the recipe's around here somewhere) and it can combat the crunch.

i know what u mean about bein heavy handed...i still have that problem, lol. you'd do great with coils but if u use the eco for twisting only use a little then u really wont have to worry bout the crunch. i've only used the eco for my coils n wash n go's and i loves it!!! although i must say koils is my top gel becuz u dont get the crunch AND u get shine n moisture!! these are the ONLY 2 gels i'll ever use!

ooooh yea...congrats on ur photography class!! cant wait to see the pics. loooook at u miss fab 50; being natural just sparks all types of inner creativity u never knew u had. i felt so reborn startin my natural journey and i just got like tons of ideas that i know what to do...thats why i gotta keep a journal to jot down my notes!

so im gonna keep pressin u bout that bc, i mean its only hair right...just jump out there n go for it. im tellin u...u will NOT regret it. im already thinkin of my next bc as we speak. im gonna definitely wait til after my year though! i just really miss my twa!!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabulousat50 24th July 2010, 2:00 pm

My "Fabulous" Journey Lol Well i got up this morning and took out the cornrows that i have had in all week under a wig. They came out pretty good but the wave pattern was a little tighter than i like it, My "Fabulous" Journey Icon_geek i'm gonna have to find a twist or curl that does not come out so tight. any suggestions?! My goal is to not wear a wig all weekend. That will be step one in my journey. i honestly feel like i have been wearing tracks or wigs and ponytails for so long now that i can't even remember the last time i didn't put something on my head, and I can't even remember how i used to wear it without al of the attachments - that's a shame My "Fabulous" Journey Icon_sad but my newest mission is to start to wear attachments less and less while i am getting used to my own hair. somehow i feel that i am cheating myself by keeping it braided under a wig all week. when i think of going natural i think of letting my hair be free and not covering it up with anything. but i am still young in the journey and have a lot to learn. i tried taking some of those head shots when you just hold the camera and shoot- well i must really be uncoordinated because i just can't seem to get the hang of that. My daughter makes it look so easy but i haven't worked it out yet. I know that this skill is gonna be crucial in my journey if i truly want to document it, so i will just have to keep working on it. i'm looking for some suggestions of what i can do so that my curl pattern won't me so tight once i take it down. i would like to try the bantu knots but need a good instructional video on it. Guess i will be on YTube later on. It's funny cuz i find myself dreaming about hair at night. it's so crazy. I think i'm gonna BC on 6 Sep (my 50th bday) but secretly i don't think i will make it that long! Well my goal today is to go out and find a few headbands. i'm gonna dc and cowash tonight and try the bantus - wish me luck!! My "Fabulous" Journey Icon_wink
Fabulousat50
Fabulousat50

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabulousat50 25th July 2010, 6:41 pm

okay Ladies, so last night while sitting around playing in my hair and watching ytube, i decided to try to see if i could do bantu knots. It was kind of difficult for me because i have a bad shoulder, but i managed. So this morning i was excited to take them out and see what happened. As i was wrpping them last night i used my spray on that i mixed up. (Giovonni Leave in, castor oil and evoo) I sprayed each section before knotting it. Well this morning i was pleased with the results. Although my curls did not come out as loose as some of yours i was still please. Also my front really reflects the two different textures becasue it is so much shorter than the rest of my hair. Thank God for headbands!! So i put one on and was ready for the world. It felt so liberating not tohave a wig, weave, or ponytail attached to me head when i went out. My goal was to go through the weekend without wearing anything attached and I did it!! My husband even told me that he liked my hair more than some of the wigs that i have been wearing!!! My "Fabulous" Journey Icon_lol o now I am really inspired. I know that i have a long way to go, but it sure is exciting. I'm debating on whether i'm gonna wear my hair out to work tomorrow or not. I want to and i hope the style holds overnight. I had planned to wash tonight but i think i will wait one more day just to see how it comes out in the morning. Hope it goes well. here are a few pics! Let me know what you think and any advice will be appreciated!!!
Fabulousat50
Fabulousat50

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabulousat50 25th July 2010, 6:43 pm

OK so i gotta work on adding the pictures, i don't know what happened but hopefully i will figure it out before the evening is over!
Fabulousat50
Fabulousat50

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 25th July 2010, 7:16 pm

BKO Puff
My "Fabulous" Journey My_puf10

Backview
My "Fabulous" Journey Bantu_10
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 26th July 2010, 10:30 am

gawwwwn girl wit yo bad self!! u did a nice lil mix w/the gio. i wanna try some bantu's but i cant seem to get em to stay and i'd have bobby pins stickin all over the place.

im glad ur gettin over the wig phase. u better enjoy letting ur hair breathe while its nice n warm and dont worry bout ur curls bein as loose as others, you'll figure out ur own in due time. im sure before u know it you'll be doin henna really soon My "Fabulous" Journey Icon_bounce . i hear that it loosens the curl pattern too!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next