CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Precious

+12
ChrsLvsBks
StacyB
truet
labon10
Intelligentbeauty
crvng4mr
raina
AfrikanLatina
Silkee
Iomer
luvmenatural
MahoganyCurls
16 posters

Go down

Precious Empty Precious

Post by MahoganyCurls 13th November 2009, 5:11 pm

Has anyone seen the Movie Precious? I havent seen it yet, I so want watch it. If so, what are your thoughts on the film?
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Precious Empty Re: Precious

Post by luvmenatural 15th November 2009, 1:30 am

Just one word- Powerful. You have to see it. Enough said!! You wil cry,laugh, scream and want to fight MoNique... Can't say anything else
luvmenatural
luvmenatural

http://luvmenatural.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 15th November 2009, 6:55 am

Wow! Thanks for replying! BTW your hair is hot!!!!!! I can't wait to see it!

Thank you! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Iomer 15th November 2009, 10:15 pm

I read the book, and I completely agree with @luvmenatural. I can't wait until it comes out in my city.
Iomer
Iomer

http://naturaleighc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Silkee 16th November 2009, 6:22 pm

What's the name of the book again? I know I have heard it and it's not "Precious", but I just can't seem to recall. I think it will definitely be worth a read.
Silkee
Silkee

Back to top Go down

Post by luvmenatural 17th November 2009, 1:52 am

The book is called "Push" by Sapphire. I spoke to many people who saw the movie and many people were not really feeling the fact that Caucasian people have the ability to see the dysfunction that occurs in our communities. I even heard the director Lee Daniels did not want to direct the movie because of the preceptions of black people he felt would be left with non-blacks. I still like the movie and thought it was powerful.
luvmenatural
luvmenatural

http://luvmenatural.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Silkee 17th November 2009, 3:15 pm

Thanks luvmenatural; I am going to get it this weekend. I hadn't heard that about the dysfunction. We (blacks) definitely aren't the only ones with dysfunction though, but I do understand what they are saying. Very interesting...
Silkee
Silkee

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 17th November 2009, 9:07 pm

I really want to see this but I know it won't be with hubby. I'll have to go with one of my sistagirls.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Iomer 18th November 2009, 9:55 pm

Sapphire, Lee Daniels, Paula Patton, and Gabby Sidibe were on the Mo'Nique Show yesterday night. They were all crying (I shed a tear or two too) and saying how doing the movie changed their lives and made them better, more compassionate people.

@Silkee I agree. They ( ^ )talked about how this doesn't just apply to black people, and that is so true.
Iomer
Iomer

http://naturaleighc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 22nd November 2009, 2:59 pm

I saw the movie yesterday, It was very moving to say the least! I laughed and cried so much emotion! I hope the whole cast gets the recognition they deserve, because they were outstanding!
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by crvng4mr 22nd November 2009, 5:01 pm

I saw the movie last night and didn't see any problem with stereotyping. Any race or ethnicity could be Precious as I am sure in real life there are. It is a must see for everyone!
crvng4mr
crvng4mr

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 23rd November 2009, 1:35 am

I want to see this movie but I am so afraid of the emotions I will feel. I am very, very sensitive to children and the abuse that children have to encounter and endure from the hands of people that are suppose to love and take care of them. And the verbal and physical abuse that goes unnoticed and uncorrected. Not from my own personal experience but I believe this sensitivity is God given for me to continually pray for these helpless little people.
So this movie will probably have me fasting and praying and constantly on my face crying out to the Lord for mercy and to look over these children.
But I am going to see it.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 23rd November 2009, 10:47 am

For those of you that have seen the movie...what do you think about an 11 year old watching it? How graphic are the sexual scenes? I watch human life movies with my daughter because I feel that it's important for her to understand that people do bad things to kids. Afterwards, we have an in-depth conversation about the movie and her thougts.

I just don't think it good to shelter her from things that are happening in the real world. A lot of times kids hear you but they don't understand until they see why.

What are your thoughts?

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by crvng4mr 23rd November 2009, 2:01 pm

Labon....I saw it and I have a similiar relationship with my daughter that you have but I would not take my daughter(who is 13) to see it. My friend whom I went with was going to take her daughter, who is 14, but after we saw it she decided not to. Of course the decision is always yours but I wouldn't. Although it is not an X rated movie it is extremely emotional regarding the physical and sexual abuse by Precious' mother and father.

Just to give you an idea they flash a few times her father all nasty and sweaty getting on top of her and violating her. I have talked about all sexual pleasures with my daughter and inappropriate encounters as well and I don't think children need to see this movie to validate any conversation you can or have had without seeing it.
crvng4mr
crvng4mr

Back to top Go down

Post by truet 23rd November 2009, 7:58 pm

i read the book very powerful all young girls should read this book. but cant wait to see the movie go monique she is one of my fav comedians
truet
truet

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 23rd November 2009, 10:08 pm

Labon I would not take my 11yr old to see this movie Its too raw.
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 30th November 2009, 10:07 am

Thanks crvng4mr and raina.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 2nd December 2009, 7:41 pm

Precious was definitely an intense movie. Monique certainly played that role well. I found myself sitting with my mouth open on certain parts like I was watching something in real life.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by StacyB 3rd December 2009, 10:35 pm

The movies also had mixed feelings with social workers (I am a social worker). Becaue people felt the social worker character played by Mariah Carey was not a good representative of the profession. People felt she made social workers look very homey and didn't adequately represent the appearance of social workers. ( I am a young social worker and I am fly!!! Especially now with my natural hair ). So a lot of social workers wrote the director about her playing the role- their thoughts were of all people why Mariah Carey to play the part. They felt the teacher was more like a "social worker" to the Precious character than Mariah was. I haven't seen the movie because it just recently came out in my area. I am only repeating the comments and concerns I read on the social work blog I am a part of.

I read the book many years ago and it was good from what I can remember-I'm pretty sure I read it in late high school or early college (approximately 10 years ago) . I plan to see the movie eventually.
StacyB
StacyB

http://naturalbloggingsofayoungsocialworker.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 12th December 2009, 6:32 pm

I know I am late. I thought I would not be able to sit throughout the movie and not cry. The movie has a plethora of messages. It was powerful, moving and had a great cast. Like others wrote, it is not for pre-teens or early teens.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Succinctlyso 15th December 2009, 8:06 pm

call me odd.... I thought the movie was amazing.... I was more taken aback by Moniques performance than any other... She ought to win every damn award possible for that performance...

BUT

to that.... the movie was WAY more dramatic than the book...*shrugs* it's one of those situations where althought the movie was phenominal.... it wasn't as phenominal as it was reading that book.
Succinctlyso
Succinctlyso

http://www.twitter.com/succinctlyso

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 16th December 2009, 1:52 pm

Monique and Gabby Sidibe both got nominated for Golden Globes for Precious!!
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanNature 19th December 2009, 3:31 am

LOVED IT!
HumanNature
HumanNature

Back to top Go down

Post by xoxo 19th December 2009, 11:44 am

I just saw it yesterday. I love the movie!! I was trying so hard to hold back tears. I just wish they would've included some parts from the book.
xoxo
xoxo

http://www.longlivehair.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 22nd December 2009, 2:41 pm

I saw the movie on Sunday night. It was pretty powerful and thought-provoking and really made me thank God for my mother, my upbringing, and all of the privileges I have enjoyed in my life. I am usually a very emotional person, and this movie made me think, not cry.

Regarding taking a teen or pre-teen to this movie; I'd say NO. Not only is it a little too sexual for them, but the foul language is horrendous. I wouldn't even suggest that my Mom see it because she hates cursing, and they did it all throughout the movie.

Just my two cents...
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum