CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Depo Provera

+21
faizjoks
NikkiChelle
kekesmum
KinkySheaPT
Janet36603
devastatingdiva
enitan
krazy coils
MissNaturalBeautii
LuvMeLuvMyFro
KurlyQT
Treece
jaylin20032003
jlowman1
NikG20
Issie
MochaSoul
ElleX
BajanPrincess82
cutie_curli
CrissyQ
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Depo Provera Empty Depo Provera

Post by CrissyQ 28th June 2010, 1:35 pm

Has any or does any one take this form of birth control? i am thinking about getting it on the 9th of july but I am afraid of the side affects.

Please share
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Depo Provera Empty Re: Depo Provera

Post by cutie_curli 28th June 2010, 6:02 pm

I have consulted with friends about this shot and the general consensus is that it cause moderate weight gain. (Which I am guessing most women are not a fan of!)

cutie_curli

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 28th June 2010, 11:20 pm

I heard that the reason women gain weight on it is because it increases their appetite. If you watch what you eat and don't get fooled by your brain telling you to eat more, you'll be OK.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleX 29th June 2010, 12:24 am

My relative and a former co-worker both got pregnant with this form of BC. Needless to say, they are no longer using this method of BC.
ElleX
ElleX

Back to top Go down

Post by MochaSoul 29th June 2010, 4:16 pm

I used if for years...worked very well for me...I have no complaints whatsoever!! I had no menstral periods when i was on it and they returned when i got off of it...i hear that people gain weight, but that was not the case with me. I guess I was the exception. If you want additonal info you can inbox me.
MochaSoul
MochaSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 29th June 2010, 4:39 pm

Thanks ladies, I know about the weight gain but what about the hair shedding. did any of you experice that?
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Issie 3rd July 2010, 1:19 am

Well everything is different for everyone, for me I have sworn off hormones...realize that the shot once is given CANNOOOOTTTT be removed it HAS to work its way OUT of your system, it circulates as synthetic hormone so u are STUCK with it...I NO LONGER do hormones...just condoms or until I have my last kid and close up shop because I react badly to them severely badly....
I know people who dont have any problems at all, have u tried and liked other forms of BCs? I used Nuvaring it was ok, pills nope not for me, IUD gave me incredible acne....I would try something before this definitive action.
my aunt had not moderate but severe weight gain, and lost tons of hair to where she had to wear a wig for about 12 months, her sister had the shot too, gained about 60 pounds, lost hair and could not conceive for 18 months...

Dont mean to scare u but research and figure out what ur body tolerates......

Issie

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 3rd July 2010, 12:22 pm

I got the depo after I had my daughter in '05, no problems, no weight gain, infact I lost a lot of weight, but I was actually trying to lose weight, no hair loss, no period, no problems. I went off the depo in '08, got pregnant with my son 11 months later, and now I'm back on depo (since May '09) with no problems, no hair loss, no period. I will say the weight is a little more tricky this time around but I'm not going to blame the depo because I know I'm not doing too well with my exercise and especially my eating.

Although I have a different hair type, the only time I shed any hair was right after I had my children. Each time I've been on the depo I have had no hair problems, my hair is thick, waist length, and is not falling out. lol

I wish you luck with whatever you decide!!
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 3rd July 2010, 8:16 pm

I HATED this BC. I used it for about a year and a half - two years. I stayed on my cycle for a whole year. I know everyone's body is different. Fortunately I didn't get the weight gain side effect or the hair loss but being on your cycle for a whole year is no fun. It also made me sick to my stomach for a month after I would get the shot. The Pill made me sick as well.

I'm on the NuvaRing now and it is so much better, probably the best BC I've used thus far. I think that is because it doesn't have to go through my stomach or digestive tract so I don't get sick like I did with other types of BC.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 5th July 2010, 1:12 am

i was on it for awhile (a few years), i gained about 10-15 pounds (currently 176lbs about 5'6), no periods, no hair loss...when i got off, my periods came back within a few months and i started to lose the weight. ive never had an issue with becoming pregnant, or being sick after receiving the shot. fyi, it hurts less in the hip than in the arm. good luck with your selection.
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 7th July 2010, 3:22 pm

I know one person who experienced hair loss with Depo. I have not heard an overwhelmingly amount of good things about Depo. So for me, i would never try it, plus you couldn't pay me to put something in my body that I can't get rid of for a year. I've only taken oral contraceptives, and they're /okay/ I always lose my libido with them, I guess that's a good thing if you don't want kids right? lol.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by KurlyQT 13th July 2010, 6:35 pm

From my experience, I wouldn't suggest the shot to my worst enemy. The side effects I had was depression, heavy bleeding for a month straight, weight gain and severe head aches. The shot has too much estrogen in it and my body did not like the balance. The upside to this is no periods, you only have to get the shot every 3 months and the shot doesn't hurt. This is just my own experience, I have switched over to the nuvaring and its been working perfectly for me.
KurlyQT
KurlyQT

Back to top Go down

Post by KurlyQT 13th July 2010, 7:03 pm

From my experience, I wouldn't suggest the shot to my worst enemy. The side effects I had was depression, heavy bleeding for a month straight, weight gain and severe head aches. The shot has too much estrogen in it and my body did not like the balance. The upside to this is no periods, you only have to get the shot every 3 months and the shot doesn't hurt. This is just my own experience, I have switched over to the nuvaring and its been working perfectly for me.
KurlyQT
KurlyQT

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvMeLuvMyFro 13th July 2010, 8:24 pm

I used this form of BC when I got married and I have no complaints. I didn't gain weight or experience any hair loss. I did however miss an appointment for my next shot and that is how MIss E came about. I mean I got pregnant really fast but I love that child even when she displays an attitude bigger than mine. I love that child, I love that child, I love that child...

After the birth of Misss E I wanted something a little more...sure so, I got a tubal. I had a son and now a daughter and I couldn't have anything else nor did I want another child and I am LOVING IT!!!
LuvMeLuvMyFro
LuvMeLuvMyFro

http://www.designsavvysalon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MissNaturalBeautii 21st July 2010, 10:04 am

I am currently on depo and i have no problems with it. No bleeding, no hairloss, and no weight gain. However, with depo it is recommended that you take calcium pills. I hate taking any pills so i haven't did to well with this. I dont want osteoporosis when im older so i will be switching my BC in a few months to IUD. Otherwise, i love depo.
MissNaturalBeautii
MissNaturalBeautii

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 21st July 2010, 12:19 pm

Both of my sisters used this birth control and gained weight with it and they also did not get their period when they used Depo.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 21st July 2010, 7:26 pm

Thanks ladies, well i did not get it, timing was never right. I guess i will have to rely on the rhythm method.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by enitan 21st July 2010, 8:44 pm

CrissyQ there are other forms of birth control apart from the depo injection. Im sure your gynecologist must have spoken about other options with you?

i just got concerned when you said you'll have to rely on the rythm method. It's not that reliable. On the minute possibility that you gynae hasnt or if you'll like more information, i'm happy to help!
enitan
enitan

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 22nd July 2010, 11:39 am

enitan wrote:CrissyQ there are other forms of birth control apart from the depo injection. Im sure your gynecologist must have spoken about other options with you?

i just got concerned when you said you'll have to rely on the rythm method. It's not that reliable. On the minute possibility that you gynae hasnt or if you'll like more information, i'm happy to help!

yes she has given me alot of options but to be honest, i am tired of putting that stuff inside of my body. I have been doing that since i was 14. I have been practicing the rythm method for a little over a year and so far so good. I will do that until I make a decisoin.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by devastatingdiva 18th August 2010, 1:49 pm

I just started getting the shot in May. I didn't have any problems until about two weeks before I was due to get the shot again but it wasn't anything major (just a little spotting here and there and cramps like I was gonna get a period). As far as the weight gain, it's been the complete opposite for me. I've actually lost about 10 pounds since getting my first injection. I guess it effects everybody differently.
devastatingdiva
devastatingdiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 19th August 2010, 2:55 am

I've never used it but my freshman year of college room mate did and I don't think she had any weight problems or hair falling out. She went to get her shot one day though and the doctor told her since she had been on it for 2 years that she needed to switch to something else or she might not be able to have kids one day. Never saw anything to back this claim up but there's my story lol.
Janet36603
Janet36603

Location : Montgomery, AL (and Birmingham, AL on the weekends)

http://jlhorace.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 19th August 2010, 11:36 am

Hiyas!

I too took the depo shot my first two years of college. I did gain weight, had no period, and did have hair loss (which could probably be due to my relaxers lol). I switched to the Ortho Evra patch, but I started getting terrible rashes. Now I'm on Yaz and I have no problems. My periods are still irregular but my doctor and I decided that its from my fitness schedule. Evey individual is different so I would really suggest exploring your options with your doctor as there are plenty of them. The rythm method is pretty risky as it doesn't take much to throw our bodies out of rythm, but do explore your options and don't be afraid to harass your physician with all your questions. Smile
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by kekesmum 13th November 2010, 4:53 pm

I wanted to bring this up to share my two very different experiences with the shot.

First time was before kids. No problems whatsoever. Period went away after first shot, and no bad side effects. Went off it after two years and my period came back three days after I was due for the shot.

Second time was after my second child. My shot wears off in a week and I'm never going back on it again! Ovulation has remained and I've had my period the entire time. The side effects have been disastrous! I've had severe headaches, nervousness and anxiety. I barely drive anymore because I get really worked up while in the car. Just today I had a small panic attack while at a store alone. I was in my car and I was too freaked out to drive home, I was shaking, I felt nauseous and lightheaded. I called a taxi to take me home.

So everyone has different experiences, and the same person can have totally different experiences. So pay attention to any changes in your mood or health while on it because like someone else mentioned once it's in your system you have to wait for it to wear off which can be 6-9 months after your last shot.

I also can't take the pill so we're back to natural family planning. We've done it loosely in the past and not gotten pregnant, but since we're really not ready for our third child yet, we're doing it seriously. If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to ask.

kekesmum

Back to top Go down

Post by NikkiChelle 9th December 2010, 2:56 am

Didnt like it because I spotted in between cycles. I didnt gain any weight at all. Thats the reason I got on it to begin with, but that was 5 years ago. I am now on Yasmin and it has been the best bc I have used thus far. I also did the patch as well, but the yasmin keeps my cycles very light when they didnt use to be, my skin is immaculate, and my cramps are extremely mild which they didnt use to be. I love it. Ive been on it 2 years next year and havent experienced any side effects. But different things work for different people

NikkiChelle

Back to top Go down

Post by faizjoks 13th December 2010, 5:45 am

Shooting is too much estrogen, and my body is not balanced. The advantage of this is the time, only to be vaccinated every 3 months and the shot does not hurt. The side effects I had was depression, heavy bleeding month straight, weight gain and severe headaches.

faizjoks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum