CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Hair do

+43
Naturally Esq
summerbreeze76
ChrsLvsBks
Intelligentbeauty
CurlyChefRobin
SheeTacular
KeAnia
QuietButterfly
Cnicoles6
iri9109
TheRYL1
xtremelyperfect
PaganWifey
freckledmom4
mstokes2008
blondie
missmoriah
AfrikanLatina
Muz
curlsunfurled
poeticlyspkng
KinkyNappyHappy
jlowman1
cyclingchick
sweetdrk1
Juices-n-Berries
Lynnieluve
nattyblog
Buttercup76
NubieNatty
DvaAuNaturel
priceless
hippychic
LaToya28
Serenity23
MellowOne
CocoEuro
Nikcoils
CurlsGalore
CrissyQ
krazy coils
Ebbz
WhosThatRedHead
47 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

New Hair do Empty New Hair do

Post by WhosThatRedHead 20th June 2010, 4:10 pm

Good afternoon everyone!

I'm really exicted that I found this site. I had to shave my head in January because my hair was falling out on the sides (actually it was more like I was completely bald). I decided that I wasn't going to relax my hair anymore and I wanted it to be healthy. I remember how I felt as I watched my hair fall to the flpoor. I know it sounds dramatic and it's just hair but I almost cried. My beautician cried. My philosophy about my hair was "It's just hair and it will grow back!" But this time it was different. I think it was because I HAD to cut my hair instead of WANTING to. SO once my hair was gone I had a decision to make. Do I wear a wig or do I rock the fade? I rocked the fade.

My hair had been relaxed on and off since I was 2 years old.....

About 3 months ago my bald spots filled in and I stopped going to the shop to get it shaved off. I was excited that my hair was growing back. Why wouldn't I be? It was cute and short. But then reality hit me like a ton of bricks when it started to hurt to comb my hair (Doesn't help that I'm extremely tender headed huh?) that I didn't have a clue on what to do with my hair. So my quest for how to take care of my hair began.

I've been on YouTube (very helpful) and have found other sites dedicated to natural hair. My only regret is that I didn't decide to go natural sooner!!! Now I'm holding back the urge to be a product junkie. But I think that I may have to be for a while until I find products that work for my hair.

Just as this site and the woman on it have become an inspiration for me, I hope to one day be an inspiration to someone else on thier quest to healthy natural hair.

Let's see.....Questions I have....
-What inspired some of you to go natural?
-What are some of your favorite products?
-Is there a particular way that you like to wear (or wore) your TWA?

Now I think I'm going to head off to the fabric store to get some items in hopes of making head bands and flowers for my TWA.

Last edited by WhosThatRedHead on 8th November 2010, 3:11 pm; edited 23 times in total (Reason for editing : Title change)
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

New Hair do Empty Re: New Hair do

Post by Ebbz 20th June 2010, 4:18 pm

Your story was very inspirational. Thanks so much for sharing and welcome to Curl St. Smile

I have Curl St Journal that tells a story about why I chose to go natural as well (in my signature)

I'm not completely natural yet but some products that I love and some other products that are highly recommended are:

Suave Naturals conditioners
Suave Shea and Almond conditioners
Herbal Essence Shampoos and Conditioners (mostly Hello Hydration and Totally Twisted)
unrefined shea butter
Lustrasilk Cholesterols (for deep conditioning)
extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
extra virgin coconut oil (EVCO)
aloe vera gel
ecostyler gel
jojoba oil

Those are just a few to get you started. I'm sure other ladies will contribute to the list.

Hope this helps!
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 20th June 2010, 4:41 pm

Yes it does! Thanks!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 20th June 2010, 6:44 pm

Hey Whosthatredhead and Welcome to Curl Street!

1. I went natural because I was tired of spending money and time in salons on my relaxed hair.
2. Favorite Products - Qhemet's, Afroveda and Jane Carter
3. When my twa was really short I only did wash n go's but as it grew out I began to do twists and braids.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 20th June 2010, 7:34 pm

Hi WTRH, welcome. I saw you on another thread and i said wow she is pretty. I am glad you started a journal. You are going to love it here. The part about a product junkie, you can forget it. I think its all apart of being natural. LOL

-What inspired some of you to go natural? I saw natural womwn and could not keep my eyes off of them.
-What are some of your favorite products?I dont have a favorit yet
-Is there a particular way that you like to wear (or wore) your TWA? I just started doing coil outs.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 20th June 2010, 9:10 pm

Hi WTRH! I'm such an abbreviator, LOL!! Welcome to CS and thanks for sharing your story! I was shocked when I read you've been relaxing since the age of 2! New Hair do Icon_eek Wow!!! Well, I'm glad you made this decision and you're going to enjoy every thing about it!

1. I went natural because I loved how unique, versatile, and beautiful natural hair is on a black woman. I had hair envy really bad!
2. My fave products are Giovanni, Herbal Essences, Desert Essences conditioners and mostly homemade stuff out of my kitchen like my shea butter mix and daily moisturizer.
3. My TWA days were mostly Wash n Gos. As it grew, I started finger coiling or two strand twisting it.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 21st June 2010, 9:20 pm

Hi WhoThatRedHead and Welcome!

1. I went natural because I was tired of my hair shedding and being thin and that the only way I could curl my hair was temporarily with straw sets or curl rods. I knew my hair was thicker and had curls cause of the picture of me as a child.

2. Favorite products as of today (they change as i find something that works better or maybe cheaper) - Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner, EVCO, EVOO, EcoStyler and water

3. Never had a TWA I was a long term transitioner
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 22nd June 2010, 4:33 am

Welcome to Curl Street!!! Wow! I can not believe you had a relaxer at 2 years old!!! Wow! Well congratulations on deciding to take the natural hair journey!!!

I always wanted to go natural I attempted 2-3 times but did not know what to do with my hair but once I moved to Europe I could not find anyone to do my relaxers so I made the decision in December of 2008

Favorite Products-Herbal Essence Hello Hydration - as a leave-in; Ecco Styler Gel - mixed with Hello Hydration, EVOO & EVCO; My Honey Child Scalp Cleansers in Honey Nut; Shea Butter mixed with EVOO & EVCO; any thick conditioner mixed with EVOO, EVCO, Almond Oil shea & almond butters, aloe vera gel, & Honey - for a deep condition

-I never had a TWA I transitioned for 13 months - but my favorite style is a flat-twist out, I also enjoy pinned up two-strand twist.
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 22nd June 2010, 10:00 am

Hi WhosThatRedHead

I had problems with my edges also. I was trasitioning for a couple months and got tired of the two textures so I did my bc in march. I just got braids and changed my avi but I have pics in my CS journal.
My fav products are Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Aloe vera gel, eco styler gel, Aubrey Organics HSR.
I liked wearing my twa just natural but before I got my braids I tried flat twist in the front and a coil out in the back and that was cute to me.

I just read the article on curlynikki.com that said once you can twist your hair or it gets to about 2 inches it is no longer a twa so I guess I can't say that I am a twa anymore lol

I hope you get a lot out of this website everyone is really nice and willing to help anyway they can.
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Serenity23 22nd June 2010, 11:13 am

Hi There! Your screen name is catchy Smile Let's see, I will answer your questions.
Let's see.....Questions I have....
-What inspired some of you to go natural? I love to color my hair and my stylist suggetsed I stop relaxing and she would flat iron it so I could color as often as I like w/out the double processing. I was not convinced I could do it, but after a few months, I was ready.

-What are some of your favorite products? My fav products are Organix conditioners, coconut/olive oil and recently I started DC'ing with the shea moisture line.

I'm not in the TWA stage anymore, but I wore wash n'go's and I loved to do coils and coilouts. Good luck!
Serenity23
Serenity23

http://public.fotki.com/Serenity23/  http://www.curlynikki.forum

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 22nd June 2010, 12:55 pm

Welcome to Curl Street! We are glad to have you.

What inspired some of you to go natural? I went natural because I saw all these beautiful naturals on youtube and different hair forums and I wanted to be natural too.

Too many to name, yes I'm a pj! lol Hawaiian Silky 14n1, Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin seed conditioner, Hairveda Green Tea butter, SitriNillah DC, and Cocasta oil, Aubrey Organics White Camellia conditioner

I like to keep my hair in twists. That way I'm not messing with it all the time, it looks neat, and it retains more moisture. You can check out pics in my thread if you like.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 22nd June 2010, 5:50 pm

New Hair do Img00013

Man... I feel like I've truly embraced my hair in like the past 3 days!!! Here's where I'm at now.... And I made the flower in my hair courtesy of a video I saw on this site!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 22nd June 2010, 5:53 pm

CrissyQ wrote:Hi WTRH, welcome. I saw you on another thread and i said wow she is pretty. I am glad you started a journal. You are going to love it here. The part about a product junkie, you can forget it. I think its all apart of being natural. LOL

-What inspired some of you to go natural? I saw natural womwn and could not keep my eyes off of them.
-What are some of your favorite products?I dont have a favorit yet
-Is there a particular way that you like to wear (or wore) your TWA? I just started doing coil outs.

Thanks for the compliment! I love this place!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 22nd June 2010, 5:57 pm

CurlsGalore wrote:Hi WTRH! I'm such an abbreviator, LOL!! Welcome to CS and thanks for sharing your story! I was shocked when I read you've been relaxing since the age of 2! New Hair do Icon_eek Wow!!! Well, I'm glad you made this decision and you're going to enjoy every thing about it!

1. I went natural because I loved how unique, versatile, and beautiful natural hair is on a black woman. I had hair envy really bad!
2. My fave products are Giovanni, Herbal Essences, Desert Essences conditioners and mostly homemade stuff out of my kitchen like my shea butter mix and daily moisturizer.
3. My TWA days were mostly Wash n Gos. As it grew, I started finger coiling or two strand twisting it.

I think I have Fro envy... Is that possible? lol
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 22nd June 2010, 5:58 pm

New Hair do Img00014

I'm trying this again because my pic didn't post
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 22nd June 2010, 6:15 pm

love the flower! i've meaning to try it. And i have all the materials. *sigh* i am such a procrastinator.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 22nd June 2010, 6:18 pm

npmoore04 wrote:love the flower! i've meaning to try it. And i have all the materials. *sigh* i am such a procrastinator.
\

My first one took me 3 hours cuz I wasn't sure how to get it right.... Now I've got it down to 45 minutes..... I have so many colors.....but I want a few more.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by hippychic 22nd June 2010, 6:19 pm

absolutely beautiful Smile

hippychic

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 22nd June 2010, 9:25 pm

I love your avi! Where is the video on how to make the flower?

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 22nd June 2010, 9:34 pm

LaToya28 wrote:I love your avi! Where is the video on how to make the flower?

Thanks! Eyeshadow is my biggest weakness....

The video in on the styles section of CN under the TWA section Just scoll down the page
Flower Video
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by priceless 22nd June 2010, 11:05 pm

Hello Whosthatredhead

welcome to the block hope that you will gain as much as i have on this site. This site is addictive and very positive.
To answer your questions inquiring minds want to know so here it goes lol
I dare to be different. Looking like everyone else is so overated. I decided that I needed full healthy hair more then anything. I never thought that I would be able to handle being natural but I guess never say never.
herbal essence Hellohydration conditioner, yes to tomatoes conditioner, EVOO, and kinky curly knot today
-Is there a particular way that you like to wear (or wore) your TWA? I have just discovered headbands so Now i rock the headbands and i love them
priceless
priceless

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 23rd June 2010, 10:45 pm

While at work today I scratched my head and I actually felt a few curls in the back!! I know that's kinda silly but if you had asked me a few months ago if I ever thought I would feel a soft curl in my head without any chemicals in my head the answer would have been hecks naw!! So to me that's some progress and I'll take it!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 23rd June 2010, 10:46 pm

priceless wrote:Hello Whosthatredhead

welcome to the block hope that you will gain as much as i have on this site. This site is addictive and very positive.
To answer your questions inquiring minds want to know so here it goes lol
I dare to be different. Looking like everyone else is so overated. I decided that I needed full healthy hair more then anything. I never thought that I would be able to handle being natural but I guess never say never.
herbal essence Hellohydration conditioner, yes to tomatoes conditioner, EVOO, and kinky curly knot today
-Is there a particular way that you like to wear (or wore) your TWA? I have just discovered headbands so Now i rock the headbands and i love them

Thanks! I'm very much addicted to this site! But I love the advice and the support.

I think I'll be rockin the headbands for a minute too. I think I'm going to try to make some decorative ones this weekend. I crocheted one on Monday and it's super cute!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 24th June 2010, 10:00 am

Welcome, welcome, welcome. I had to stop by your house because everytime I see your avi it reminds me of Chrisette Michelle and is so FAB....had to share that with you.

Time and money. Tired of salons and dropping $$$ on my hair. Better for me and had done it before.

Oyin and Qhemet....but I'm still searching as I learn my hair

I really like my washngo's. They're so simple but I know twists will be my fav style very soon since it'll help me protect my hair and help it grow.

Last edited by DvaAuNaturel on 26th June 2010, 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 24th June 2010, 11:09 am

hey redhead! welcome!!! i love ur story and i had to pause when i seen u had a perm since 2 New Hair do Icon_eek ! it reminded me of that little girl on "good hair" who was sittin in that chair wit her hair burning!

My co-worker inspired...well more so PUSHED me to go natural with her. i had always had it in the back of my head and i failed the first time a few years ago becuz i had NO INFO to go on. In my permie days, i strictly wore roller wraps but i always wanted volume and big hair. I also got tired of these expensive stylists esp ones who overbooked or aint never show up on time (dmn CPT time). Before i made the commitment into goin natural i did extensive research and got more n more inspired. i too, like u did an amber rose!! i have a hair journal where i keep up with my findings in what products do for me, a wish list, styling tips and pretty much my progress every month. its so fun!

My favorite products...**evil laugh** MWWWwwwaaaAAAHHH New Hair do Icon_evil
please dont make me do it... New Hair do Kopfschuettel i.......just.....wont entertain this question!!!

ok i will. its only natural to become a pj in the beginning becuz u are so excited about learning so much about what ur hair likes u wanna try everything. i WISH i wouldve had more control over passin up products but when u read such rave product reviews n etc u just cant help it. Im 8 months into it and im JUST now learning to curve it but in lookin back on it, i wasted alot of money. For my year anniversary (sept) im gonna dwindle my stash down to ONLY what my staples are.
My faves: qhemet, carol's daughter (tui smoothie and herbel poo), kbb (cond poo, hair butter n cream, also the hair mask but im too heavy handed n that 8 oz can dont last long for me); MJ rapid recovery, afroveda shikakai oil and now im on hairveda now! loves it!! i definitely keep any and all oils in stock for oil rinses and hot oil treatments.

giiiiiiirl now why did u make me do that, lol.

my favorite twa styles were mainly wash n go's. i did venture off into coils around my 5th month and i got kinky twist extensions around my 3rd month becuz i really lacked in the styling dept and since it was winter time i couldnt hold on to any moisture New Hair do Kopfschuettel !! but i learned how to handle it for this winter coming up...im ready!!

i look forward to your journey and im sooooo loving that red. u look good with ur twa and i see u are burstin wit creativity already New Hair do Icon_wink

its all on trial and error but u have a TON of support from these laydeez!

soooooo; whats ur favorite products and do u feel a difference in ur attitude now? like more confidence?
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next