CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Needs a big sis or two...three..four

2 posters

Go down

Needs a big sis or two...three..four Empty Needs a big sis or two...three..four

Post by patmichele 10th June 2010, 6:59 pm

Hi ladies, I'm still new to the natural look and loving it! I have not had a relaxer in prob. 10yrs or more (flat ironed and blow dryer were my buddies). I love my new look, but still trying to get my routine down. I've mostly worn wng and l like twist-outs (via curly nikki). I'm still learning my hair and believe i am protein sensitive. I DC yesterday w/ avacado and mayo and my hair was hard and super detangled (won't do that again). Wondering what DC i can use that doesn't have protein? Also, doesn't hair need a proper balance of protein and moisture to be healthy? Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by patmichele on 10th June 2010, 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typing errors)
patmichele
patmichele

Back to top Go down

Needs a big sis or two...three..four Empty Re: Needs a big sis or two...three..four

Post by LittleOne 6th July 2010, 5:06 pm

DC conditioners are usually either full of oils or cones. If you are no cone try Aubrey Organics, Desert Essence, or Kiss My Face. Anything that says deep or moisturizing or color protection. If you are okay with cones, Pantene makes great deep conditioners. Try the Pantene Curly Hair Series Deep Moisturizing Treatment. FYI - I think curlies are misinformed about cones, they are helpful in breakage prevention for our hair.

I mention these because they are pretty cheap and I know they are no or very little protein. I hear good things about the Curls brand and Shea Moisture but I can't really speak on them because they are out of my price range. Hope this helps!
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Needs a big sis or two...three..four Empty Re: Needs a big sis or two...three..four

Post by patmichele 6th July 2010, 8:40 pm

Thanks LittleOne...I'm in LA too...yay! Tell me more about what you know about cones...i really don't know much
patmichele
patmichele

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 6th July 2010, 9:52 pm

Sweet! Where are all the LA naturals? My friends think I'm a little bit crazy for embracing my curls. Thank goodness for the naturals online!

Here's the deal with cones:

They have a bad reputation with curlies because of the book "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey. The book basically said that silicones make hair look shiny and feel soft, but overtime they will keep your hair from getting properly moisturized. Keep in mind the book is 8 years old now. Here's the best rebuttal I read to the silicone theory:

http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/2009/09/silicones-polyquats-and-soap.html
(Perry & Jc provide the most accurate answers)

It's my belief that silicones can be amazingly helpful for African American hair. In shampoo, silicones keep hair from getting tangled. In conditioner, they coat the hair and make it smooth and easy to comb/detangle. In leave-in conditioners or serums, they provide shine, softness, and heat protection.

All of those benefits are things that we need/want...easy combing, smoothness, softness, shine, etc. Considering that kinky curly hair breaks easily, we need to always be in breakage prevention mode. You'll have to decide for yourself where silicones fit into your regimen. Amodimethicone is one of the best cones because it doesn't build up.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum