CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need a big sis

3 posters

Go down

I need a big sis Empty I need a big sis

Post by peachesisme 7th June 2010, 2:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I have been natural for almost 2 years but I havent really got the hang of it yet. I know that sounds crazy but I've just had it in a twa and I dont really know what else to do with it. And I can't figure out what products work well with my hair to keep it moisturized and to get my curls to pop. I have more hair on the top of my head then in the back and I dont know if I should get my hair "shaped up" or not. But if anyone has ANY suggestions, I'm open to them.
peachesisme
peachesisme

Back to top Go down

I need a big sis Empty Re: I need a big sis

Post by naturalchic 11th June 2010, 12:21 pm

Hello peachesisme,

First what products are you currently using? secondly what style do you keep your hair in? and lastly what is the end result you are looking for.

once i see your answers i can off some advice if i can help you, until then take care!
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by peachesisme 26th June 2010, 4:09 pm

right now i'm doing a wash and go once a day if not every other day. I use VO5s moisture milk conditioner then i use Organics by Africa's Best olive oil leave in and i top it off with Elasta QPs mango butter moisturizer. if i cant do that in the morning then i just use a moisturizing spray that has water, glycerin, rosemary and lavander oils. i only keep my hair in a twa cause i dont think its long enough for me to do anything with. and the end result i would like is length. i want to be able to grow my hair out to a big afro. thanks for the help
peachesisme
peachesisme

Back to top Go down

Post by MsAnkh 7th July 2010, 11:37 am

You seem to have a pretty good setup. How often do you wash, co-wash, and deep condition? How often are you trimming your ends. Do you seal your ends? Have you tried to see if it is long enough to attempt a two-strand twist. Im trying to see how adventures you have been and then maybe we can come up with some new suggestions.
MsAnkh
MsAnkh

Back to top Go down

Post by peachesisme 8th July 2010, 1:28 am

I try to co-wash everyday. If i can't, then it's every other day. I try to wash and deep condition once a week. I don't know how to trim my ends, so I haven't attempted to for fear I'll cut all my hair off. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I did give a two-strand twist a couple of tries, but my hair didn't really do anything. The curls didn't stand out or anything. When I tried a two-strand twist, I used clear gel one time then I tried using clear gel and using really small rollers. But nothing.
peachesisme
peachesisme

Back to top Go down

Post by MsAnkh 8th July 2010, 2:10 am

Have you had a trim at all the two years you have been natural, because if not that may be one of your problems with not being able to maintain length. Most stylist say you are suppose to have your ends trimmed 6-8 weeks. I usually go every 3 month. Keeping your ends trimmed is a big part in being able to maintain length. Secondly do you ever use shampoo because if any of your products have cones or sulfates then you need to use a shampoo every now and again. I usually shampoo every 2 weeks so I can clarify and cleanse any product build up. Next you didnt say anything about a leave-in conditioner. You need a good leave-in and you need to remember to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. You should moisturize daily. Now as far your twist try doing them on damp hair and then use your elasta QP mango butter and your eco-styler. I have used this combo before and it worked pretty good. Make sure you give it enough time to set, and then you can also try turning your twist into bantu knots it gives it more of a curl pattern.
MsAnkh
MsAnkh

Back to top Go down

Post by peachesisme 8th July 2010, 2:17 am

I've went to the barber a couple of times since I've been natural. But it's been a while since I've been. I have started using Organics by Africa's Best olive oil leave in conditioner when I co-wash. But how do I moisturize my hair? I haven't figured that part out yet.
peachesisme
peachesisme

Back to top Go down

Post by MsAnkh 8th July 2010, 5:55 pm

Well you have to keep your ends clipped regularly and remember the important thing about keeping your hair moisturized is that it should be done in steps: 1)water based moisturizer-the one I usually use is by Curls, you can find it at Target. 2)Oil based product-coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, etc. 3) cream based product- I usually use something like mango butter, or my whipped shea butter that I made myself. Something creamy. I do all these steps after my leave in to make sure I seal in the moisture, and I concentrate on my ends because your ends are what take a lot of damage due to always being out with the elements and such. This link was really helpful for me in learning how to help retain moisture: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69
Also if you have excessively dry hair then maybe you should make a glycerin mix because Memphis is somewhat humid and the glycerin will help take the moisture from the atmosphere and add it to you hair. And you might have to moisturize a couple times a day just to get it under some kind of control. Remember hair has to be trained and you will notice a difference when your hair starts to respond to something it likes. You might want to try a protein treatment to see if it might help.
MsAnkh
MsAnkh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum