CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please help me with ideas for Vegetarian dishes!

+19
Gado-Gado Gal
gemofacurlgirl
dyamonds10
DancingDee
DvaAuNaturel
HappyCurly
TerraD
naturalnat
Bilqis
sjoyreed
nattyblog
dyadya
SighSidhe
neethair
ElleX
KinkySheaPT
jcanalena79
jamaicacurl
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Please help me with ideas for Vegetarian dishes! - Page 2 Empty Re: Please help me with ideas for Vegetarian dishes!

Post by DvaAuNaturel 3rd July 2010, 3:04 pm

One of my favorite vegetarian meals is mexican lasagna. I'll post the recipe later. If you like spanish/mexican foods you'll enjoy it. And it's easy to make.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Please help me with ideas for Vegetarian dishes! - Page 2 Empty Re: Please help me with ideas for Vegetarian dishes!

Post by jamaicacurl 3rd July 2010, 3:47 pm

DvaAuNaturel wrote:One of my favorite vegetarian meals is mexican lasagna. I'll post the recipe later. If you like spanish/mexican foods you'll enjoy it. And it's easy to make.
Ooh I love Mexican & Italian! Can't wait for the recipe! Can you believe I've never mad lasagna?
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 6th July 2010, 11:49 am

Here's the recipe. Hope you like it. Enjoy!

Mexican Lasagna (from Vegetarian Times)

SERVES 4 -6

Ingredients
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 dash cayenne pepper (or more, if preferred)
15 1/2 ounces pinto beans or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup corn kernel (frozen, fresh, or canned)
1 cup tomato sauce
nonstick cooking spray

8 small corn tortillas

1 1/4 cups nonfat cottage cheese or low fat cottage cheese
1/2-1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (it calls for cheddar, but I like the fiesta blend)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook, stirring, until tender (about 5 minutes).

3. Stir in the spices and cook one more minute.

4. Stir in beans, corn, and tomato sauce. Remove from heat.

5. Spray 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.

6. Spread 4 tortillas over the bottom of the dish. Spoon half the bean mixture over tortillas and spread evenly.

7. Spoon half the cottage cheese over the bean mixture and spread evenly. Evenly sprinkle half the shredded cheese over the cottage cheese.

8. Repeat layers using the remaining tortillas, beans, cottage cheese, and shredded cheese.

9. Bake until heated through and cheese is bubbly, about 20 minutes (or a bit more if prepared and refrigerated ahead of time).

DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 7th July 2010, 10:47 am

Oooh that sounds good!! I think I'd have to substitute the cottage cheese for ricotta though. I'm salivating over here! LOL

Thanks for the recipe!!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Please help me with ideas for Vegetarian dishes! - Page 2 Empty Sweet & Sour "Meatballs"

Post by DvaAuNaturel 25th July 2010, 1:19 pm

Hey JC,

Got another one for you, Sweet and Sour Vegetarian "Meatballs". I get the "meatballs" at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. It's really simple. All you need are the meatballs, chili sauce, and cranberry sauce or your favorite jam/jelly. My girlfriend uses grape jelly.

All you need to do is cook one package of frozen meatballs (I like to bake mine first since I prefer them a little crunchier) while warming up 1/3 cup grape jelly and 1/3 cup chili sauce in a saucepan, stirring until the jelly melts; add the cooked meatballs and voila - you're done.

I looked online and some people serve them like a meatball sub in a wheat bun. I normally just eat mine with some veggies and a little brown rice.

Enjoy!
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingDee 31st July 2010, 1:09 am

omg!!! I'm so happy I saw this thread! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I've been going vegetarian for 3 weeks now. I'm doing it so maybe I can have more energy, lose some weight, and just really make some life changes since I also recently decided to go natural.

I'm staying with my family and it so hard to find something to eat while I'm watching them eat all my favorites like sausages, short ribs,etc. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Reading this gives me all kinds of ideas!! Now I won't feel like I'm on some strict diet and tempted to go back to my old ways! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
DancingDee
DancingDee

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 1st August 2010, 5:42 am

DancingDee wrote:omg!!! I'm so happy I saw this thread! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I've been going vegetarian for 3 weeks now. I'm doing it so maybe I can have more energy, lose some weight, and just really make some life changes since I also recently decided to go natural.

I'm staying with my family and it so hard to find something to eat while I'm watching them eat all my favorites like sausages, short ribs,etc. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Reading this gives me all kinds of ideas!! Now I won't feel like I'm on some strict diet and tempted to go back to my old ways! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Good for you! I'm not at the point of going vegetarian but I definitely understand your reason for doing it! I can imagine how hard it is with all the temptation around! Be strong girl! I think if you have enough ideas for meatless meals and the items always on hand, it makes it much easier
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by dyamonds10 5th August 2010, 1:25 pm

so thankful for this thread!!!!
dyamonds10
dyamonds10

http://www.simplylove-leigh.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gemofacurlgirl 24th August 2010, 5:32 pm

This is a pretty basic suggestion but for meatless meals at my house that my kids will eat(they are PICKY). I usually make them homemade stovetop mac and cheese with a side of steamed broccoli,or spaghetti with a meatless sauce , pizza with baby carrots and dressing to dip and sometimes we have breakfast for dinner it is a hit too! We will have french toast, waffles , or pancakes with some fresh fruit on the side
gemofacurlgirl
gemofacurlgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 30th August 2010, 7:35 pm

Hey ladies,

I'll post some of my personal favorites here later, but I wanted to kick off by giving a plug for our fine, fine brother Bryant Terry and his recent cookbook Vegan Soul Kitchen,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
as well as our sister and friend of Bryant, Heidi Swanson, and her website 101cookbooks.com and cookbook Super Natural Cooking.

My librarian sister hosted Bryant Terry at a book signing and cooking demonstration last year, and got a signed copy of VSK for me. I've made the Quinoa-Quinoa Cornbread and Citrus Collards with Raisins Redux (made with kale) to eat with my own Red and Black Bean recipe - so yummy! But I also have the following ear-marked: Caramelized Red Onion Relish, Gumbo Z, Jamaican Veggie Patties, Not-Too-Dirty Rice, Baked BBQ Black-Eyed Peas, Carrot Cayenne Coleslaw...and so many others.

When Heidi's 101cookbooks.com had a forum I was very active there (it was shut down because of spam). But I still get her newsletter/site updates because she is great about reminding me or sparking an interest to use seasonally available vegetables and fruit to make beautiful and delicious foods. You can look for recipes on her site by ingredient as well as recipe type. Some of my favorites from her site are: Simple Toasted Cauliflower with garlic, lemon zest, nutmeg and parmesan cheese (my Colombian, meat-loving fiance LOVES this!), Thai-spiced Pumpkin Soup, Split Pea Soup, Vegetarian Tortilla Soup, Orange Pan-Glazed Tempeh (I usually refrain from non-Indonesian recipes because being part Indonesian I like traditional tempeh dishes, but this one is YUM), Homemade Hummus (served with lots of veggies and flatbread), Black Bean Salad, Golden Crusted Brussels Sprouts, Peanut Noodles, Pepita Salad...and so many others Smile I haven't even touched on the baked goods, which are mouthwatering but healthy (yes!), like the Macaroon Cherry Tart, oooo.... I also can't wait to try the recent Spiced Tomato Gratin recipe. I have way too many cookbooks right now, but I am eagerly awaiting someone to give me Super Natural Cooking as a gift! I look at it every time I go to the bookstore (it's beautiful and has interesting information) and will probably breakdown and buy it soon!

Happy cooking! I'll be back with some of my fave recipes soon.
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 1st September 2010, 11:54 am

OMG this is great info Gado!! Thank you so much! How can I get her newsletter too?
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 1st September 2010, 3:41 pm

Yay! I'm glad it's helpful. To sign up for emails, go to the home page of 101cookbooks.com, and in the top left corner there is an understated box that says "your email here". Press the "+" sign after you've typed in your addy.

I'll be back with more recipes!
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 1st September 2010, 3:44 pm

HA! Just noticed it's my 1-1-1-1 "Just say no to creamy crack" hairversary (1 year, 1 month, 1 week, 1 day).
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 1st September 2010, 7:13 pm

Gado-Gado Gal wrote:Yay! I'm glad it's helpful. To sign up for emails, go to the home page of 101cookbooks.com, and in the top left corner there is an understated box that says "your email here". Press the "+" sign after you've typed in your addy.

I'll be back with more recipes!
Did it thank you!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 4th September 2010, 12:49 am

I wanted to share this with you ladies. I just became a member.

Visit SoulVegFolk

Some of my favorite vegetarian dishes are:
* Homemade southwest eggrolls
* Vegetarian Lasagna (Main vegetables are eggplant, spinach, and mushrooms)
* Veggie Stir Fry

I'm always changing things up and trying new things because I hate eating the same things all the time. I posted these recipes in the Recipe Swap thread some time ago and thought I'd share here.

Sauteed Veggies & Brown Rice(not pictured)
-Onions, Broccoli, Yellow Pepper, Green Pepper, Mushrooms, and Orange Peppers, Garlic
-Add just enough olive oil to coat bottom of pan
-Saute onions and garlic first(maybe a minute)
-Add rest of veggies and cook until desired tenderness. (I like mine to still have some "life" to them. Smile
-You can season however you like. We just used a little lemon pepper and soy sauce(low sodium)

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

(Sorry so dark, I took it on my phone)

Grilled veggies & Hummus on Flatbread
I was inspired by a Mediterranean Restaraunt called Mooneys out here that my hunny introduced me to. Its his lunch spot when he has to grab something quick while he's at work. It really is super easy to make and extra tasty.

-Zucchini
-Onions
-Green Peppers
-Mushrooms
-(any vegetable you prefer and have on hand really)
-chipotle seasoning
-garlic salt
-flat bread(found in bakery section at your local grocery store)
-hummus(found near the bakery section at your local grocery store and close to the hot bar at my local Whole Foods)

-Saute your veggies over medium-high heat in a little bit of olive oil season to taste
-Brush flat bread with a little olive oil if your prefer and stick in oven to warm up
- Spread hummus on warmed flat bread
- Add veggies
-Enjoy! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

My take on Southwestern Eggrolls:

Spinach, Onions, Zucchini, Mushrooms, Green Peppers, & Black Beans
Added a little veggie shred cheese
What it looks like after rolling
Pan fried in olive oil. I made too many so I just wrapped them in a little wax paper and put in a ziploc bag for later. I made a chipotle ranch sauce for dipping but you can dip them in whatever you'd like.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyscot 8th September 2010, 11:02 pm

When I was in college, I was a vegetarian for about a year. After that, I started eating chicken and fish again but no red meat. Now, I am trying to incorporate at least one meatless day into my routine. My kids try to help me come up with Meatless Monday ideas. http://basicwoman.blogspot.com/2010/09/meatless-monday.html

This forum has given me a few meals to try.
curlyscot
curlyscot

http://basicwoman.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 9th September 2010, 3:59 pm

curlyscot wrote:When I was in college, I was a vegetarian for about a year. After that, I started eating chicken and fish again but no red meat. Now, I am trying to incorporate at least one meatless day into my routine. My kids try to help me come up with Meatless Monday ideas. http://basicwoman.blogspot.com/2010/09/meatless-monday.html

This forum has given me a few meals to try.

This is great too! Thanks!!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by dyamonds10 15th September 2010, 11:40 pm

just joined soulvegfolk.com

Thanks AfrikanLatina
dyamonds10
dyamonds10

http://www.simplylove-leigh.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo.Blue 7th January 2011, 6:57 am

Okay, I know that this is an old post but I have a simple recipe for you. I love my crock pot aka slow cooker. My favorite recipe is roasted vegetables. I take any vegetable like cabbags, onions, brocolli, cauliflower, peppers, potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, and brussel sprouts are my usual veggies. Add salt and pepper, drizzle with evoo and cook for about 2-3 hours.

I like my carrots, onions, mushrooms, and peppers caramelized so I cook them first for about 2 hours. Then I add the other veggies and cook until desired tenderness. After the veggies are cooked, I like to add fresh spinach and tomatoes. The contrast between the fresh and cooked veggies tops this dish off. I will eat this dish as it is, add black beans, or add rice. My favorite meal!

If you don't have a crock pot (it is worth the 15$ investment) then you can roast the veggies in the oven.
Indigo.Blue
Indigo.Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 7th January 2011, 6:27 pm

^^sweet jesus, roasted broccoli is the best thing EVER! dance
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2