CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frustrated w/natural...Help!

5 posters

Go down

Frustrated w/natural...Help! Empty Frustrated w/natural...Help!

Post by uc14u2nv 11th May 2010, 4:44 pm

I did my big chop in Nov. 2009, after 3mths w/o a relaxer. And it seems like my hair just won't grow. So I got frustrated and headed to my stylist. I had a decision to make...Keep natural and figure out what to do w/it OR get my relaxer back. She convinced me to not give up. So we went with a sew in. Now, I can't seem to find a product that I can use to moisturize my scalp & hair while I wear this style. Please help! I am getting frustrated by the day. I don't like the trial & error part of going through products. The frustration is altering my thinking of it was easier to care for relaxed hair. Can someone please pinch or slap me back into reality??!!

uc14u2nv

Back to top Go down

Frustrated w/natural...Help! Empty Re: Frustrated w/natural...Help!

Post by HappyCurly 11th May 2010, 6:31 pm

Honestly, I wonder that sometimes also. I think about how in the morning I have to style my hair now, instead of just pulling out my foam rollers and calling it a day.

There is a chance that it was easier for me to manage relaxed hair because I knew how to do it . After I fully figure out this natural business, it will probably be easy too.

But I love that now, the fear is gone. Everytime I got bad spots on my scalp from teh relaxer, I'd be afraid the hair wouldn't grow any more in that spot. Every time it was time for a relaxer, I'd be afraid I'd do something to my scalp to irritate it and increase teh chance of it burning. Now, my biggest fear is that my hair will be too frizzy to wear out, and I'll have to argue with it to get it to look nice in an up-do or bun.

I'd much rather be afraid of bad hair days than un-healthy hair....but don't ask me in the morning to make that choice!!!

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 12th May 2010, 2:16 pm

Don't worry. I don't know if you've realized this but because you've been natural for a short period of time this is going to be about education and familiarizing yourself with what your hair likes and dislikes. That process can only be achieved through trial and error. Don't give up but be patient with your hair.

As a former weave wearer I moisturized with braid sprays and sealed my hair underneath with an applicator bottle filled with a mixture of oils. Whenever I experienced an itchy scalp I sprayed a mix of witch hazel and peppermint oil and that did the trick until it was time to wash with diluted poo.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Bridgetbs 12th May 2010, 2:29 pm

Hi ladies...Ive been transitioning for 8 months now with a sew-in. I love Cantu: No Drip Shea Butter Hair & Scalp Oil. You can buy it at walmart and it has a tip in it that allows you to get under the breads. I love it love it love it!

My stylist have been using the circle weave for me and sewing in every other row so that I can get in with my fingers and apply oil to my scalp. Dont give up...i wanted to give up too but reading this forum has really educated me and motivated me to keep going! woot!

Bridgetbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Bridgetbs 12th May 2010, 2:29 pm

Bridgetbs

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 12th May 2010, 7:46 pm

I am currently reading "Thank God I'm Natural" www.thankgodimnatural.com I HIGHLY recommend this book! It is so informative.

This is actually from the transitioning section, but it still may be helpful to you:

"#4 Keep Your Hair Moisturized. Most women with weaves suffer from damage and hair breakage when they neglect their own hair. To prevent this from happening, apply a light oil like Kemy Oil or Kimble Replemish Drops to your cornrows every two or three days to help keep your natural hair moistu and conditioned. Hair extensions should also be oiled every few days, to prevent shedding andbreakage. Even though you have extensions, they still need to be moisturized since they are not receiving the benefits of the scalp's natural oils. For problems with dry itchy scalp, try massaging your head with carrot oil or Sulfur 8 Light."

Hang in there. I'm sure you will figure out what your hair like and doesn't like. Don't let all your hard work go down the drain. I often hear when naturals decide to relax again they really regret it.

Good luck! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down