CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scalp Issues

+2
Janique
BajanPrincess82
6 posters

Go down

Scalp Issues Empty Scalp Issues

Post by BajanPrincess82 10th May 2010, 11:13 pm

As the weather gets warmer and I sweat more, my scalp is acting up! I have eczema mostly on my hairline and in my scalp too. I was reading that olive oil and coconut oil are good to soothe scalp eczema flare-ups. I started using olive oil on it (apply twice a day) and its actually working! In the past I used hydrocortisone cream, but the olive oil is actually working much better. Anyone else have this problem? What do you use? If you usually just suffer (and scratch) in silence, try olive oil! My scalp and hairline are like 95% less itchy!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Scalp Issues Empty Re: Scalp Issues

Post by Janique 11th May 2010, 1:05 am

I have seborrheic dermatitis and I've been having bad flare ups since January. The winter really aggravated my condition. It's starting to get better, but it still gets itchy very quickly and I get flakes. Nothing really seems to be working to get rid of it. I put olive oil and castor oil, but there's only so long that it will work.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by TGOODMILL 5th August 2010, 2:49 pm

I have psorisis and it is way worse. I took a chance and just got box braid. they are holding good so far. But im so annoyed with my scalp, ears, legs.
TGOODMILL
TGOODMILL

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 5th August 2010, 3:56 pm

@Bajan - how do you apply the olive oil? I am one of those who suffer and scratch and I am really trying to get rid of the itchy scalp.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 5th August 2010, 5:14 pm

ugh i suffer from itchy scalp and find that diluted tea tree oil works best...the shampoo I use is Giovannia Tea Tree and it works wonderfully for my scalp. I never tried Olive oil...
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by London's Curling 5th August 2010, 5:37 pm

This is something that I can totally relate to. I had a severe bout of seborrhaic dermatitis last summer, and lost a large amount of hair in the back. As my hair was thick, nobody noticed the loss and I escaped the bald patches etc - though I could tell and was really distressed. Three things that I did really helped and cleared up the problem straight away: 1. Dermovate - I got this on prescription and after only about 3 days use, all the redness and soreness and cleared up and itching and flaking stopped completely. 2. Switched to totally natural and SLS free products to avoid using anything that would act as an irritant. 3. Stopped greasing my scalp. Since doing this I have had zero flare ups and my hair is growing longer and has filled in where it had previously fallen out. It's hard for people to believe how badly I suffered with this - I would wash my hair one day and literally the next the whole thing would be sore, tight and one giant flake - my scalp would literally come off in large strips, was so disheartening.
London's Curling
London's Curling

Back to top Go down

Post by London's Curling 5th August 2010, 5:38 pm

Forgot to add...haven't had to resort to Dermovate again since that three day treatment and things have been good Very Happy
London's Curling
London's Curling

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 5th August 2010, 11:27 pm

After I wrote that initial post, my scalp (mostly hairline) took a turn for the worse! I mean, it was red, irritated, flaking off (w/ hair attached!), and I was miserable! I've been dealing with this all my life, but its never been this bad (I guess this TX heat got to it)! I decided to go to a doctor and he diagnosed me with Seborrheic Dermatitis (not eczema like I thought). He even had a special light that where he showed me what hid in my scalp...fungus!!! He said its the same fungus that causes dandruff (which I've dealt with forever) and the natural oils from my scalp and added oils that I put in my hair were basically feeding it. Fun stuff. But anyway, he prescribed the shampoo Ketoconazole and told me to wash my hair with it everyday. I told him that was not going to happen, so he suggested twice a week. I used it for about a month and it worked beautifully. I never put it on the length of my hair, I just part it and apply it as if I'm greasing my scalp. Now I only use it if my scalp starts feeling itchy and I've also gone back to using olive oil and now castor oil on my scalp.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 5th August 2010, 11:28 pm

krazy coils wrote:@Bajan - how do you apply the olive oil? I am one of those who suffer and scratch and I am really trying to get rid of the itchy scalp.
I put my olive oil in an old Hot Six Oil bottle. It really helps to control the amount of oil that comes out.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down