CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Want whatever I can get

3 posters

Go down

Want whatever I can get Empty Want whatever I can get

Post by Ninamj 6th May 2010, 9:15 am

I have big chopped and need supreme guidance on what to do with these kinky kinky curls. I am a student and mother. I really dont want to look like a hot mess this summer but I think that might be on the horizon. So I am looking for CHEAP, SIMPLE, hair ideas.
I want to save the extravagant hair styles for my daughter.
Ninamj
Ninamj

Back to top Go down

Want whatever I can get Empty Re: Want whatever I can get

Post by UrbanLily 6th May 2010, 10:16 am

Try crochet braids! Go to youtube and type this in the search. I ran across Black Masterpiece's blog and fell in love. I use to do these back in the day while I was in under-grad. But crochet braids have gotten an upgrade, look at BMP's pic...I'll be trying this look next weekend...I'll post pic of mine when I do.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
UrbanLily
UrbanLily

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 6th May 2010, 1:06 pm

Hi Nina! Welcome and congrats on your BC! I know you look fabulous! Well, for starters, tell me what you are using right now and how much hair are you working with? I've my hair as short as 0.5" so I maintenance was really easy. Holla back and I'll see if I can help steer you along!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninamj 6th May 2010, 10:17 pm

Along my side I have about 3 1/2 inches. Near the top about 2 1/2 inches ( had a weave in and cant wait to take it out, end up cutting some of my hair.) Right now I am just doing twist outs (that dont last long) I tried braid outs but me hair just looks like an uncomb mess in the morning. When my hair was shorter I did not like it because I looked like a man.
My friend suggested that I texturizer my hair but I don't want to deal with chemicals anymore because I have severely dry scalp.
Ninamj
Ninamj

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninamj 6th May 2010, 10:23 pm

@urbanlily
I am checking out that crochet braiding thing and it is looking interesting

ps forgot to mention that I am trying to avoid being a product junky cause I love clutter and I am trying to quit the habit
Ninamj
Ninamj

Back to top Go down

Post by UrbanLily 7th May 2010, 6:51 am

Ninamj...you have to give your hair time to grow; if the twist and braid outs are not working for you...consider longer a PS (protective styles). The twist in your picture are too cute!

It took me a whole year of wearing protective styles (half wigs and micro-braids) to be completely comfortable about wearing my hair out so I don't or feel like I "look-a-like-a-man," lol. Now my hair has grown in volume and length (about 7-8 inches) and I sport braid-outs like you would not believe it!

Eventually you will find your niche hairstyle but you have to expirement and be patience. Smile

p.s. if chemicals are not for you, don't give in...
UrbanLily
UrbanLily

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninamj 7th May 2010, 10:09 pm

thanks so much for the words. sometimes you need to hear someone outside of your head to repeat what you have been thinking in your head for it to process.
Ninamj
Ninamj

Back to top Go down

Post by UrbanLily 10th May 2010, 6:55 am

No problem!!!
UrbanLily
UrbanLily

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content