CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two Cents on Henna

2 posters

Go down

Two Cents on Henna Empty Two Cents on Henna

Post by CurlsGalore 4th May 2010, 4:34 pm

Hey Curlfriends!

Soooo, I've been reading and researching alot of threads, blogs, etc. about henna and how to use it. I really want to give it a shot and see how my hair responds. I already have jet black hair, and I know many curlies use it for the purpose of lightening or adding traces of color. Do you guys have any suggestions for someone with very black hair? I thought of maybe doing a henna gloss for starters or a cassia treatment. But what do I you suggest if I want to add a few traces of color? Thanks ladies!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Two Cents on Henna Empty Re: Two Cents on Henna

Post by R2D2 4th May 2010, 8:13 pm

If you have very black hair then the most you are going to get from henna is red hightlights that are visible in the sunshine and you won't notice this until after several applications in all likelihood.

However, henna gives other benefits other than colour and the main benefit is strengthening and conditioning the hair strands. I've really noticed a difference in my hair since using it, I don't have to use protein treatments quite so often any more. In the past, the longer my hair would get, the weaker it would feel. Henna has overcome this problem for me.

So even if you don't get much colour, your hair may still benefit from using it through conditioning and strengthening.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 4th May 2010, 8:52 pm

Thanks R2D2! How do you mix your henna? I picked up some this afternoon and I'd like to try it in the next week or so.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 4th May 2010, 11:41 pm

I only mix it with my trusted and tried coconut milk! Works great for me and seems to be the least drying of all the mixes I've tried in the past. Other people have their own mixes that they prefer and to be honest, it is very personal and experimentation is good! So, mix your henna to pudding consistency, let sit at room temperature for 12 hours to get dye release and then apply, wait 3-4 hours and then wash out.

Other people mix their henna, then apply immediately, leave in their hair overnight and then wash out in the morning. That would be convenient if you don't have much time in the day due to being out at work or study.

Always follow up with a moisturizing DC as your hair will feel similar to after a protein treatment and needs moisture. If your hair still feels dry after a DC, then and co-wash daily until you get it back to equilibrium.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 5th May 2010, 11:23 am

Thank you for sharing your knowledge! I appreciate! I'll keep you posted on how it goes!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down