CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Only 2%...

+4
BekkaPoo
kinksncurls
AdriEm
popsbaby
8 posters

Go down

Only 2%... Empty Only 2%...

Post by popsbaby 3rd May 2010, 7:04 pm

Only 2% of women describe themselves as BEAUTIFUL. What's wrong with our society that 98% look in the mirror and don't see their own beauty? Who's to blame?
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Only 2%... Empty Re: Only 2%...

Post by AdriEm 4th May 2010, 1:09 am

Well to me, it's the little things because for a majority of my life so far i've been back and forth between both percentage groups and I think that's because I know how alot of people think and might class me. Like she's too fat, or her lips are too big or her hair's too short or she's so tall or w/e. But more often I've kind of just been a bit more accepting of what I have and what I can do with it. Yeah okay maybe I'm chubby but I'm the most comfortable person you could possibly hug. Yeah I'm tall but that just means I can reach things you can't. And since going natural and trolling sites a bit I've yet to down on my hair which at first was a big factor not so much anymore though.
But I think for the 98%, speaking from what was once my niche among them, that it's the little things nagging at you that eventual;ly wear you down before you can take the time to stop it and try and reverse it and realize what people are saying isn't all that important and all the things you worry about people thinking about you probably haven't even crossed most persons minds.
Just my 2 cents
AdriEm
AdriEm

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 4th May 2010, 10:46 pm

It's hard to feel beautiful in our society when we're bombarded with icons and standards of beauty we could never live up to! I'm not surprised at all that only 2% of women describe themselves as beautiful. I hate that magazines touch up images of women to remove their stretch marks, wrinkles etc. It also bothers me that stars go out and have all these surgeries to change their eyes, ears, breasts, baby weight. When we get older we're supposed to look older, and gaining weight and stretch marks during pregnancy is normal, whatever happened to exercising to lose that weight lol, but its almost like you have to alter yourself to fit into today's standards of beauty. Its so sad, I hope that when I have a daughter I can teach her to feel beautiful.
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 5th May 2010, 9:17 am

Amen!!!!
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 5th May 2010, 9:27 am

I think not everyone is as affected by media, especially if you're aware that advertising is designed to play on your emotions and supposed "flaws" and try to make you feel bad about yourself so that you will buy more stuff.

Now I wouldn't say I'm beautiful in the "compared to a model or actress" purely external way, but I do believe I'm beautiful in my own way. But then again I wouldn't go around saying "Oh wow everyone, I'm soooooo beautiful, look at me!" because I'm not that vain either..lol. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] It seems that actors/models need a lot more validation in life than your average person because they are definitely in the "look at me" attention-seeking category.
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 10th May 2010, 11:13 pm

WOW, that's scary. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your information? I would love to wrote about this in my blog since it focuses on media commentary.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 12th May 2010, 2:54 pm

It's not just the media. Everytime I go home, my mother and/or aunts finds something negative to say about me. When are you going to lose weight? When are you going to the dermatologist? Is that how you wore your hair to work? Thank God, I am strong enough to be satisfied with the way I look, however that may be. I teach my 12 year old daughter to love all of her faults and to believe that she is beautiful no matter what others say. She is to walk with her head held high and when she hears, "she thinks she's cute." She is to say, "I am cute."

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 12th May 2010, 10:25 pm

That's terrible. My mother didn't do that to me, but my friends mother did that too her. She used to call her "darkie" and all sorts of crazy things and tell her how dark she was. It affected her tremendously. It's a same we do these things to each other.
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrah 21st June 2010, 9:33 pm

I wouldn't describe myself as beautiful.

More important to me than being beautiful is being at peace with who and what I am. And I work on that daily.

If Halle doesn't feel beautiful 365 days a year, than why should I also expect to?!

But I like me, and I'll take that over beauty any day.
Syrah
Syrah

Back to top Go down

Post by predestined010 21st June 2010, 9:39 pm

I can believe it because when people tell me Iam beautiful I give [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ... and it's just because I dont see what they say see I dont envy anybody else I just dont like what I see the mirror and no matter what anybody tells me I still feel indifferent... But the funny thing is their certain parts of my body that I do think is beautiful tho... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
predestined010
predestined010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum