CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Sis, please.

2 posters

Go down

Big Sis, please. Empty Big Sis, please.

Post by LaToya28 21st April 2010, 12:12 pm

I've been natural for a month and a half now. My hair is growing nicely, but it's just so darn frizzy! I've heard that frizzy hair = dry hair so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Although I don't necessarily have a set regimen, I do DC about twice a week. I cowash often and I moisturize as well. My hair is not as dry as it was when I first BC'd, but I still think I'm having some dryness issues. Can someone please help me get this frizziness/dryness in check?

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Big Sis, please. Empty Re: Big Sis, please.

Post by caramelcurls 21st April 2010, 1:30 pm

Hi Fellow Curly,

I have been natural since 2007. I decided to go natural in 2006 but transitioning took a long time before I decided to BC. Can you believe that I actually did it myself. Just cut off all my hair. It has been such a journey for me and my hair. I recently started a new natural venture and consider myself born again natural as of November 2009. I too have problems with dryness and recently learned how to maintain that moisture.

First, I had to stop cowashing as it lead to extra dry hair and frizzy ends. I learned that my hair LOVES water so even if I don't wash I wet my hair every other night and seal in the water with shea butter. Sometimes I wet my hair every night. I currently use a spray bottle mixture of veg. glyceric (20%), Shikai's every day conditioner (5%), and 74% of water with a drop of some type of oil (1%). I use this mixture as my form of water at night. I have had great success for the last three weeks while using this mixture. When your hair gets longer (Which it will so fast) I suggest also twisting or braiding your hair to dry as that helps.

As that all was said...I would happy to be a natural sis for you. I can offer lot's of personal experience. I have type 4a hair with some 4b. Hopefully I would be able to assist you with anything you might need. This is a learning experience that will never end and I can use a natural sista as well sooo...NICE TO MEET YOU SIS'.
I have some pics up at my blog at www.caramelcurls.blgospot.com
Check it out.

Have a great day!!
caramelcurls
caramelcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 21st April 2010, 1:58 pm

caramelcurls wrote:Hi Fellow Curly,

I have been natural since 2007. I decided to go natural in 2006 but transitioning took a long time before I decided to BC. Can you believe that I actually did it myself. Just cut off all my hair. It has been such a journey for me and my hair. I recently started a new natural venture and consider myself born again natural as of November 2009. I too have problems with dryness and recently learned how to maintain that moisture.

First, I had to stop cowashing as it lead to extra dry hair and frizzy ends. I learned that my hair LOVES water so even if I don't wash I wet my hair every other night and seal in the water with shea butter. Sometimes I wet my hair every night. I currently use a spray bottle mixture of veg. glyceric (20%), Shikai's every day conditioner (5%), and 74% of water with a drop of some type of oil (1%). I use this mixture as my form of water at night. I have had great success for the last three weeks while using this mixture. When your hair gets longer (Which it will so fast) I suggest also twisting or braiding your hair to dry as that helps.

As that all was said...I would happy to be a natural sis for you. I can offer lot's of personal experience. I have type 4a hair with some 4b. Hopefully I would be able to assist you with anything you might need. This is a learning experience that will never end and I can use a natural sista as well sooo...NICE TO MEET YOU SIS'.
I have some pics up at my blog at www.caramelcurls.blgospot.com
Check it out.

Have a great day!!

Thanks so much for responding! Yaaay, I have a big sis! Your hair is very pretty. You know, I had considered cutting back on cowashing because I do it almost every day. I didn't know if that would help or make my hair drier though. So you don't cowash at all? I'll have to see how that works out for me. Right now I shampoo 1-2 times a week, DC 2 times a week, and cowash almost daily...ok, that's a lot! lol I didn't realize how much I was actually doing to my hair. I need to come up with a better regimen.

LaToya28

Back to top Go down

Post by caramelcurls 21st April 2010, 2:17 pm

Hey Sis,

I do cowash but had to come to terms with the logic behind it. I need to shampoo (sulfate free...of course) to get rid of build up. Think of it like this! Co washes are wonderful ways of added moisture to your hair but after a while you are basically adding moisture on top of moisture. The moisture eventually doesn't reach the hair because of build up and my hair was either dry and frizzy or dry and weighed down. I really had to get out of the habit of co washing often and coming up with a schedule that works for my hair. Now I shampoo once a week (too much shampoo isn't the best) and cowash in between! Some people like to shampoo twice a month which is also good. I hope this helps :0)
caramelcurls
caramelcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by caramelcurls 21st April 2010, 2:20 pm

Thanks for the compliment on the hair chica! I have just recently learn to love my hair and still am in the process. I'm excited because I have oooddles of information to share!
caramelcurls
caramelcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 21st April 2010, 2:31 pm

caramelcurls wrote:Hey Sis,

I do cowash but had to come to terms with the logic behind it. I need to shampoo (sulfate free...of course) to get rid of build up. Think of it like this! Co washes are wonderful ways of added moisture to your hair but after a while you are basically adding moisture on top of moisture. The moisture eventually doesn't reach the hair because of build up and my hair was either dry and frizzy or dry and weighed down. I really had to get out of the habit of co washing often and coming up with a schedule that works for my hair. Now I shampoo once a week (too much shampoo isn't the best) and cowash in between! Some people like to shampoo twice a month which is also good. I hope this helps :0)

This does help. I am going to try shampooing once a week and cowashing once a week and see how that works out.

caramelcurls wrote:Thanks for the compliment on the hair chica! I have just recently learn to love my hair and still am in the process. I'm excited because I have oooddles of information to share!

You're very welcome! I guess I'm in the process of learning to love my hair too. I subscribed to your blog and look forward to future posts.

LaToya28

Back to top Go down

Post by caramelcurls 21st April 2010, 3:01 pm

Thanks! Any more questions feel free to ask!
caramelcurls
caramelcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by caramelcurls 24th April 2010, 4:48 pm

Hi, I love your Fotki pics. I have some questions about the Nu-Gro process because I would like to try it out. My hair above my right ear was badly thinned do to braiding damage. I'm looking for something to help. Hopefully the hair can fill back up quickly.
caramelcurls
caramelcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 4th May 2010, 4:40 pm

Hello caramelcurls, sorry I haven't replied...been off the site for a little while. Nugro really did seem to make my hair grow, but I'm not sure if it was just because I minimized the tension on that area or what. I don't really believe in growth aids anymore. I think that moisture and less tension will help bring the hair back. If you still want to try it though it's fairly inexpensive but it does contain alcohol.

nugrohairproducts.com

Thanks so much for the tip about cutting back on cowashing. My hair has shown progress since I stopped cowashing daily. I don't have to moisturize several times a day; once is enough. My hair has more shine and a little more curl definition as well. Thanks big sis!!

I was having an issue with softness, but I did another henna gloss yesterday and it made my hair very soft. Right now, I'm thinking about trimming my hair a little. I like the way my twa looks, but I'm not sure if I removed all the relaxer because it's still frizzy. I have some curl definition, but not as much as I would like...and I know it's there because under the frizz I can feel more defined curls. What do you think I should do?

LaToya28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum