CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growth of 3yr olds hair

4 posters

Go down

Growth of 3yr olds hair Empty Growth of 3yr olds hair

Post by coilylove 13th April 2010, 3:59 pm

Hello Ladies,

I need some advice. My daughter is 3 and her grandmothers are so concerned that her hair is not longer. I've tried different products even Shea butter and coconut oil and nothing seems to work as far as keeping it moisturized. I've tried braiding it but her hair is too frizzy/curly and the style doesn't last for 2 days. I've tried plaits and even tried to twist but I don't want to put too much tension on her hair. Her grandmothers are never satisfied and one is always talking about how she wishes her hair would grow. I keep telling her it will grow when it's time and that her hair is beautiful the way it is. She took it upon herself to go by the olive oil products by organic root stimulator. Do you all have any thougts on these products or advice about other products I should use?

I'd appreciate any suggestions and let me say that I'm not concerned about the length; I just want her hair moisturized and healthy....

Thanks in advance! ;-)
coilylove
coilylove

Back to top Go down

Growth of 3yr olds hair Empty Re: Growth of 3yr olds hair

Post by bklynmama1 13th April 2010, 7:40 pm

Braids work very nicely for growth. I personally can't braid my 18 month old daughter's wispy, curly hair and it looks terrible the next day. On the other hand, my mom is a braiding pro and braids her hair beautifully and not tight, it lasts 1 week+ (sadly Grandma lives in PA so it doesn't happen that often). Perhaps you can get someone else to try braiding it? As far as moisture, I find that coconut oil alone is too light for my daughter's hair, shea is too heavy and sits right on top of her hair. Her hair likes the Carol's Daughter Hair Milk best so we use that, even though I really don't like the lemony smell. I also use a sulfate/paraben/petroleum/dye/fragrance free organic kids shampoo/body wash on her hair or I co wash it. I use my spray bottle on her hair too, a mix of water, veggie glycerin, apricot kernel oil, castor oil and peppermint oil. So far so good!!
bklynmama1
bklynmama1

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 13th April 2010, 9:21 pm

Hello,

I use ORS lock & twist gel but that's the only thing I use from that line. I know their hair moisturizer has mineral oil/petroleum in it so this really depends on what you're comfortable with.

Her hair will most definitely grow. I don't think plaits/twists will really put tension on your hair. As long as you are not doing anything too tight near her scalp she should be fine. Also, the hair will become frizzy no matter what. A little frizz doesn't hurt. I left my daughters box braids in for 2 weeks (washed while they were in), when they looked a little frizzy I rubbed some shea butter/coconut oil and Curly Q's Gel-les'c in her hair and just smoothed them down. The frizz will not be completely gone, but it does help.

For moisture I use the unrefined shea butter mixed with virgin coconut oil in her hair. I love Giovanni Direct Leave-in as well. I also use moisturizing conditioners and shampoos.

I posted about a protective styling challenge on our blog today. It is for our children. Smile It's one month long, here's the link if you are interested:

http://beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/04/1-month-protective-styling-challenge.html
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bklynmama1 13th April 2010, 9:24 pm

NikG20 wrote:Hello,

I use ORS lock & twist gel but that's the only thing I use from that line. I know their hair moisturizer has mineral oil/petroleum in it so this really depends on what you're comfortable with.

Her hair will most definitely grow. I don't think plaits/twists will really put tension on your hair. As long as you are not doing anything too tight near her scalp she should be fine. Also, the hair will become frizzy no matter what. A little frizz doesn't hurt. I left my daughters box braids in for 2 weeks (washed while they were in), when they looked a little frizzy I rubbed some shea butter/coconut oil and Curly Q's Gel-les'c in her hair and just smoothed them down. The frizz will not be completely gone, but it does help.

For moisture I use the unrefined shea butter mixed with virgin coconut oil in her hair. I love Giovanni Direct Leave-in as well. I also use moisturizing conditioners and shampoos.

I posted about a protective styling challenge on our blog today. It is for our children. Smile It's one month long, here's the link if you are interested:

http://beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/04/1-month-protective-styling-challenge.html

Definitely going to do this challenge!! Great idea!
bklynmama1
bklynmama1

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 16th June 2010, 11:03 pm

I guess I would ask how much growth do they want? Do you feel her hair isn't growing? Are they comparing it to another 3 year olds hair?

I didn't know how my little one's hair would be, but from the pictures I have of myself and of my husband we both had pretty thick heads of hair. My little one does too, but her's is not as course as mine and has a softer feel which I think may be from my husband's family. Her braids look a lot shorter than when it's out or stretched. If I pull her braids it falls mid-back. You can't see that from looking at her.

What I use the most: water, Giovanni DLI, Coconut oil, Shea Butter Mixes, CD pomade
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

https://www.youtube.com/user/Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down