CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Sis Needed to tweak my routine

2 posters

Go down

Big Sis Needed to tweak my routine Empty Big Sis Needed to tweak my routine

Post by coilykinks 30th March 2010, 11:09 pm

I need to know what I could do differently or what products I may need to try to get the ultimate results for my hair.
I co-wash every 2 weeks with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Condish and then I do an ACV rinse.

And then I use the Giovanni weightless moisture direct leave in condish and I have a shea butter mixture that I really like that I use to twist my hair with.

Every night I twist my hair, and some nights I use Wild growth on my scalp and I use castor oil on my edges.

In the morning, I do a twist out (it actually looks more like a chunky fro)and I use Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy cream to smooth the front-and I tie my satin scarf around my head to lay my edges down.(sometimes I use the eco-styler gel)

I have heard about "sealing the moisture" in with castor oil or olive oil and I am not sure what that means or if I need to do that-in what step of my routine should I do that. Also, my shea butter mixture has olive oil in it, so I don't know if that is enough to "seal the moisture in." My hair is 4a, if that helps.

Any suggestions or advice you give would be appreciated.

A fellow natural sister.

coilykinks
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Big Sis Needed to tweak my routine Empty Re: Big Sis Needed to tweak my routine

Post by Juices-n-Berries 31st March 2010, 12:34 am

I'll be your big sis! Lol. Even though I'm new. Lol. I'd love to help [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 31st March 2010, 12:41 am

Thanks- ok can u read over my routine and tell me what u think?
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 31st March 2010, 10:50 am

Sure. Let's see. First, are you experiencing any problems with dryness. The Smooth As Silk has protein which can be drying if overused. I don't know that would use that as my main co-wash conditioner. The ACV rinses I've heard can be drying as well. Do you do any deep conditioning after your cowash or rinse. Keep in mind that the purpose if cowashing is to wash and clean your hair and scalp just like shampoo. Many people focus solely on the scalp when cowashing. Therefore, it should not be a substitute for conditioning. I would look into adding that step into your regimen.

I am indifferent to the Direct Leave In. I tried it but I don't think it did anything special. I love the Knot Today and Oyin Honey Hemp as leave ins. But alot of people swear by the DLI so if it's working for you cool.

Sealing is an extremely important step in your hair care. However, your Shea butter mix should be sufficient. Usually people use a water based moisturizer and then use an oil or butter to seal. Keep in mind that oils do not moisturize your hair. They seal in the moisture. So if you are not using something else underneath your hair will not be appropriately moisturized.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any more questions.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 1st April 2010, 12:22 am

ok-thanks for those suggestions. I will rethink some of the products. I have been natural for almost a year, and I still have not quite figured out what I am doing. Your thread has helped me alot-so I will just start trying different styles and products until I get a regime that I can be happy with.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 1st April 2010, 3:29 am

Ok. Please feel free to ask me any more questions.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 1st April 2010, 11:32 am

Ok-you asked for it. lol

What do you use for co-washes? I like Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, but I recently ran out.

So after I have used the Knot Today, then I use a water based moisturizer. Ok, can u suggest some I could try, and also once I have used the moisturizer then use my shea butter ?
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 1st April 2010, 2:20 pm

I have this sort of tingle obsession. So I'm on a desperate hunt to find a cowash conditioner that does this. I'm ok with no lather, but my scalp won't feel clean unless I get that cool feeling. Haven't found it yet tho. Here are some cowash conditioners I have tired:

Suave Coconut Naturals- most people use this because it's cheap and smells good. It gets the job done I suppose. Not very good slip for thick hair, but remember cowashing isn't for detangling.

Herbal Essences Hello Hydration- I like the smell. It's thicker than the Suave. So I'd say better. But I've heard of it causing shedding in some people's hair. And I hear they use some major cancer causing ingredient. But some people swear by it. I have a pretty full bottle that I don't plan on using. You are welcome to have it if you like.

Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose- In my opinion this one's too thick for cowashing. More like something you'd use as a deep conditioner and add some oils or honey to.

Suave Rosemary Mint Conditioner- it's fine, but it didn't tingle enough for me. Others say it does. It's only 1.97. So it's worth a try.

I recently purchased sample sizes Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint Condish. It smells more minty. So hoping it'll work for me. I also bought a 79 cent bottle of V05 moisture milks. Lol. Lynnie uses it and it was cheap so I'll give it a whirl. I'd say with cowash conditioners you shouldn't spend alot of money because the purpose is really to wash so you'll probably use alot. You don't have to worry about it for the conditioning aspects. At the same time you don't want it to dry your hair though.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 1st April 2010, 2:30 pm

As for a leave in conditoner. This would actually be considered a water based moisturizer. I pick the products I'm going to use that day based on what I'm doing to my hair. For example, in the first braid out I did, I used Oyin Handmade Whipped Pudding as my water based moisturizer. The Shine and Define to Style. This next time, I used the Honey Hemp as a leave in (and moisturizer) and did the braids only with the Burnt Sugar Pomade (my favorite Oyin styler so far. It makes my hair shine tremendously and it actually gave me a good hold on the braids.) Or if you're doing a wash and go, you'd just do consish then gel. So it may not be the same every time.

I said all this to say that it really just depends. But if you are speaking solely about the order of steps without regard to style, yes you would apply the water based moisturizer then your sealer, which is in your case your shea butter mix. However, keep in mind sometimes you may want a lighter seal depending on what type of style you're doing. So you may look into using an oil by itself or like me use the Qhemet Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm.

Hope this helps. Ask away! Lol.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 1st April 2010, 6:15 pm

Thanks, I will keep all this in mind.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content