CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning but no BC for me....

2 posters

Go down

Transitioning but no BC for me.... Empty Transitioning but no BC for me....

Post by MsVera 14th March 2010, 12:55 am

Hi ladies! I'm really liking this forum and have jumped in a few threads, but high time I introduce myself!

I got my start on the hair forums at BHM in November, 2009 but didn't become interested in going natural until January. I am 40 years old and didn't start relaxing my hair until 1993...since then I've relaxed 2-3 times a year. Got my 1st flat-iron just about 1 week before finding BHM. Actually it was doing a google search on the Solia that brought me to stumble on that forum and I've been hooked ever since LOL! Prior to the flat-iron, I most often wore my hair curly and up in a bun, afro puff, a couple french braids or ponytail. I haven't used a blow-dryer since I was like 20 maybe younger. BTW my hair is still hella curly after any super relaxer, so wash-n-goes I did a lot of too.
Now I haven't even used my not-so-cheap flat-iron since last week of January!! I have been doing twists and or bantu-knot outs instead. I joined the Decadent DC Challenge (my 1st) on BHM which ends and begins again in April and I plan to stay with it, so I have been DC at least 1x a week and boy has this ever helped me stay on board!! Sad to say before November '09 I hadn't done any kind of DC since as long as I can remember!! When I started this journey, my hair was breaking off left and right and detangling was a complete and utter nightmare....I could lose at good few hand fulls and for that reason I could only force myself 1x a month to shampoo. I just dreaded the day [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Now I can't wait to shampoo/dc! I've made some changes in the kinda of products I use as well....I switched to a sulfate free shampoo and now exclusively use Hair One Olive Oil for Dry Hair Cleanser/Conditioner, from Sally's. The Olive Oil for Dry Hair is just one of I believe 3 or 4 different formulas, but my goodness it's made a complete turn around of my hair. Before I even cut it, it cut my detangling time down by at least half or more and it softened my curls so very much. The 1st week of my journey I tossed out all of my current mineral oil/petroleum filled products and haven't looked back....my hair totally thanks me for it. I've also become quite a bit of a PJ!! Right now I'm having a love affair with raw-unrefined shea butter [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
On Jan. 15th I continued to finish what I started...cutting off more hair and took off another 3-6". I had cut away about 2.5-3" in December and I had been about 1.5" from APL, but it was so not healthy. I ended up with bangs and sides that were about 1.5" above the jaw line and at the back I was barely grazing the base of the neck. The back now stretched is about 3/4" past the base and bangs/sides just below my chin/jaw line. With the products I'm currently using, my hair continues to detangle well, feel good, shine and all that good stuff, so I won't be doing the BC, but continue to trim as needed. Anyway folks....so nice to be here!
MsVera
MsVera

Back to top Go down

Transitioning but no BC for me.... Empty Re: Transitioning but no BC for me....

Post by mstokes2008 14th March 2010, 10:30 pm

Welcome! I love your hair in your avatar? Is it a Bantu knot out? where did you find your shea butter? And do you mix it with anything? I'm searching for the perfect recipe but I haven't been able to find any shea butter so will probably end up ordering it online.
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by MsVera 15th March 2010, 5:44 am

Thank you Mstokes [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That pic was taken on February 15th and was 2nd day hair of my 1st pin-curl set. I did this set with diluted Lottabody Setting Lotion from Sally's on freshly shampooed/dc'd hair. I used Hair One as my leave-in (as described in above post) and used Fantasia IC Heat Protector/Hair Polisher spray for my finish. It came out much shinier than the pics show. I've been having to use my webcam and the not the best quality. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Here is a pic of what it looked like from the back:
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
Here is my head up in pin-curls:
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

I got my Shea Butter not long after this from Madina Industrial Corp. out of Brooklyn, NY. I'd seen this place recommended on another hair forum and went for it and ordered it ($3.99). While I was at it I also ordered a pound of raw un-refined Cocoa Butter ($8.00) for good measure LOL!. They sell all they up to 100lbs in bulk. Next time I go I'm considering ordering some of the 100% natural oils they carry too so I can practice whipping my shea and cocoa butters...the 16oz (1lb.) cost $12 something. They had olive, avocado, coconut, hemp, jojoba, and I think mango. Pretty sure they also had vitamin E also which I will use for the preservative. For now, I've just been using them as is and mostly just use the shea for my hair and the shea and cocoa for the skin. The shea butter melts instantly in my hands and then I can just run it lightly through my hair a section at a time. They first time I used it I was a little heavy handed, but got it down just right now!! It is definitely a miracle worker for me I tell ya.... my two-strand twists and twist-outs are so soft, shiny and frizz free [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
Madina: Body, face and hair Products
MsVera
MsVera

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down