CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help me please

4 posters

Go down

help me please Empty help me please

Post by darkbeautytt 11th March 2010, 1:44 pm

hi nikki, i have been reading your blog since last year ZAugust but i didnt know how to register but now i am. i need help with my natural hair journey. i big vhop last month however im expriencing dryness. nothing i do or use is helping my hair. and here in Rhode Island there are not that many naturals that i know, u hardly see a sistas working around with natural hair. most people are permed, so i need your help. currently im using shea butter mix, suave natural and vo5, i hardly use gel cus it makes my hair hard but thats beside the point. i dont know what product to use to give my hair moisture. im my quest of find the right product, i have become a product junkie. any suggestion on thing i can use. my name on youtuibe is darkbeautytt, i will try to post up more vid so that u can see my dry hair

darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

https://www.youtube.com/darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

help me please Empty Re: help me please

Post by prettysunshyne 25th March 2010, 1:51 pm

darkbeautytt wrote:hi nikki, i have been reading your blog since last year ZAugust but i didnt know how to register but now i am. i need help with my natural hair journey. i big vhop last month however im expriencing dryness. nothing i do or use is helping my hair. and here in Rhode Island there are not that many naturals that i know, u hardly see a sistas working around with natural hair. most people are permed, so i need your help. currently im using shea butter mix, suave natural and vo5, i hardly use gel cus it makes my hair hard but thats beside the point. i dont know what product to use to give my hair moisture. im my quest of find the right product, i have become a product junkie. any suggestion on thing i can use. my name on youtuibe is darkbeautytt, i will try to post up more vid so that u can see my dry hair

When you first BC, the dryness feeling is normal. As time progresses, your hair will not feel dry anymore. When I bc'd I experienced dryness & I hate it. To try and ease it, I co-washed daily and use an oil..EVOO under my leave-in conditioner. I also kept a spray bottle of water around me at all times...in case my hair felt extra dry. Which sometimes it did. Oyin Handmade "Juices and Berries" is said to be good for moisturizing your hair. I've tried it and while it did not moisturize my hair, it smelled great. But what works for some doesn't always work for others..so you can try it. If it works for you, that'd be great!

Hope I've helped..

prettysunshyne
prettysunshyne

Back to top Go down

Post by darkbeautytt 25th March 2010, 2:07 pm

hey prettysunshyne,
thanks for your advice, i really kind of gave up on my hair so i put in in weave, i have been doing more research on my hair and trying to find conditioners that will work for me and i hope that when i take my weave out, end of april, i can start my natural hair journey. i will try those product u mention, but i do notice that i was spending too much money on product. also i have a question how do u know if youre protein sensitive? baecasue i did a protein treatment to my hair with mayo and egg, but my hair became hard and it turned liqui and ran down my face maybe i have protein overload. i dont. know.
darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

Post by prettysunshyne 25th March 2010, 2:16 pm

You're welcome. I know what you mean about spendng money on products. When you're newly natural it's easy to become a product junkie because you are going to want to try any and every product out here. I'd say use the items you have first (if they're working for you) then buy others. As for being protein sensitive...I don't know the answer to that question. The only protein treatment I've tried is Aphogee 3 min reconstructor (I think that's what it's called). I only used it a few times. I'd say type in protein sensitive natural hair into google and see what comes up.
prettysunshyne
prettysunshyne

Back to top Go down

Post by darkbeautytt 25th March 2010, 3:28 pm

thanks i will. im really greatful that u are helping me with my journey, i want to finish the product im currently using then i will try to but other conditioners to see. i need help with moisturing conditioner any tips or suggestion? i really need moisture in my hair. does the heat really help with moisture?
darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

Post by darkbeautytt 25th March 2010, 3:30 pm

anyother product suggestion other than oyinmade. i tried the herbal hydration but it has cone in ut and my hair hates cone. so anything cone free and sulfate free
darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

Post by prettysunshyne 25th March 2010, 4:39 pm

Not a problem. I like Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner..It's amazingly moisturizing. The new Tresemme' naturals line is also good too. I've only tried the moisturizing conditioner that doesn't contain silicones. Deep conditioning w/a heat cap or under a hooded dryer w/a plastic cap works wonders. The heat in connection w/the conditioner allows your hair to be penetrated. When I do my deep conditions, I add conditioner to a bowl..then put in some extra virgin olive oil (evoo), castor oil & sweet almond oil. Sometimes I'll even add coconut oil. I stir it up and then apply it to my hair (all over)...put on a shower cap, then my heat cap and sit for about 45 mins. If you begin deep conditioning your hair, you'll def see a difference. You don't have to use all of those oils that I named, those are just the ones I prefer to use for myself because they work for me. You can try one or more, it's up to you. I've learned all of what I know from subbing to Nikki's (curlynikki) blog and a few others. You'll fnd that you have to read read and read again to get answers to the things you need help with. Youtube is also a great helping tool. There are lots of ladies who are natural on there and they post some very informative videos. Just type in natural hair and you'll see a bunch of females.

Since you said suggest something other than Oyin...I would say maybe afroveda or hairveda..they're products are supposedly very good. I've never tried them personally. Good Luck.
prettysunshyne
prettysunshyne

Back to top Go down

Post by prettysunshyne 25th March 2010, 4:41 pm

& another thing I wanted to add is, don't give up on your hair. It will get easier to manage at time progresses. Natural hair is something that takes some getting used to. Last year my hair was to my bra-strap (natural) and I chopped it all off..to a TWA. I wanted a change. I had never had a twa before so it was challenging for me at first. You have to have patience.
prettysunshyne
prettysunshyne

Back to top Go down

Post by darkbeautytt 25th March 2010, 11:10 pm

so i dont know if u can help with this but do u know any conditioner that is aacidic maybe close to the hair ph level. i heard about keracare hair product but im not sure about their ingredient. thanks
darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

Post by prettysunshyne 26th March 2010, 4:59 pm

No..I don't know of any conditioners that are acidic. Your best best w/that would be to do some research online. I don't know anything about hair ph level(s). & I've never used Keracare hair products either. You can find their ingredients list online, I'm sure. Hope this Helps.
prettysunshyne
prettysunshyne

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 27th March 2010, 5:00 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
prettysunshyne wrote:No..I don't know of any conditioners that are acidic. Your best best w/that would be to do some research online. I don't know anything about hair ph level(s). & I've never used Keracare hair products either. You can find their ingredients list online, I'm sure. Hope this Helps.

hey sis! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by prettysunshyne 29th March 2010, 3:46 pm

SIS!!!! Where are u????!!! LOL I miss u dreadfully [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol
prettysunshyne
prettysunshyne

Back to top Go down

Post by darkbeautytt 15th April 2010, 1:16 am

wow mohaganycurls, i'm loving your hair every time i see it. love it and thanks for answering my questions, and thanks for oyur support. i'm really greatful. hope the moving back to stateside is going well?
darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

Post by darkbeautytt 15th April 2010, 1:19 am

hey prettysunshyne, thanks for your advice, i did do lots of research and i spoke to numerous naturals that have helped me on this journey. im taking out my weave soon, and im going to do product shopping. i will be trying the devacare one condtioner, any review on that for me? i know mohagany uses it so if u can please contribute to that too, it would be really nice. also has any one of you henna before and how do u like it. i have read and heard that it loosen the curls. any take on that? thanks
darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

Post by nappygrl 25th April 2010, 4:56 pm

Just one other thing to remember...if you were perming before your big cop, then the hair that is on your head may not be your "true" hair texture. Those chemicals get into the follicle and can temporarily alter your texture. When I BC'ed, the hair at the crown of my head was dry, wiry and straight for several months after my BC while the rest of my hair was soft and curly but now it is so much better. It just took time for it to grow out and get back to what it was supposed to be.

nappygrl

Back to top Go down

Post by darkbeautytt 25th April 2010, 9:45 pm

thanks nappygrl, see i didnt know that because, my hair was so dry, i didnt know what to do with it and also it was taking any product, i was thinking of perming it again but instead i put weave in it, i remember that, so i will wait at least one year hipefully, my real texture grows out by then and i have to told myself that i would love my hair no matter what and just appreciate it. thank you very much for that advice. my hair was straight/ some curls at the crown but i will wai and see how it turns out after a year. i pray it comes out good and nice. lol
darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum