CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dry Scalp on 2 mnth old

4 posters

Go down

Dry Scalp on 2 mnth old Empty Dry Scalp on 2 mnth old

Post by Beautifulyfe 8th March 2010, 12:59 am

Hey my God son who is going on 2 mnths now has dry scalp. His mother has been using baby oil because others told her to use it but it doesn't seem to help. I suggested a light oil like coconut oil but is that ok for such a young baby? I figured since its natural it shouldn't be harmful but I just want to be on the safe side before I get some for him.
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

Dry Scalp on 2 mnth old Empty Re: Dry Scalp on 2 mnth old

Post by classyPINK 8th March 2010, 1:51 am

What she is seeing as dry scalp could be cradle cap. Cradle cap does go away but some mothers hate to see it on their babies which is understandable. The best thing to do is DON'T PICK AT IT, baby's little scalp can become inflamed and red which might just freak her out. His skin is really just getting acclimated to life outside the womb. Cradle cap and baby acne are just a few of the things that rear their ugly heads on the cutest of heads [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] The good news is that they are temporary. If she is giving him full baths and hair washes already (I'm a nanny and I'm not one for frequent full baths until just a bit older but everyone is different) here is what I did with a 4 month old who had it really bad: mixed EVOO VERY diluted with water in a spray bottle, sprayed it on the scalp (be careful with that too lol) and a tiiiiiiny bit of lavender oil in a warm bath. I combed through his hair gently (I didn't scrape the scalp I just lifted out what had already fallen off into the hair or was loose) every time I bathed the baby. A few weeks later it was totally gone with most of the results seen the first two times. The EVOO was just to keep him moisturized and prevent any friction or irritation on his scalp the lavender oil because it's naturally calming. Between the lavender the warm bath and being sung to, he'd be nodding off midway between drying him and getting him in his jammies lol. Also I wouldn't use baby oil as it's mineral oil and that's pretty yucky stuff.
classyPINK
classyPINK

http://www.twitter.com/classyPYNK

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifulyfe 9th March 2010, 2:04 am

I figured baby oil wasn't any good. Can olive oil be harmful because I see you wrote in parenthesis be careful?

Thanks for the info I wil definitely pass it on
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

Post by classyPINK 9th March 2010, 10:05 am

Anytime! Hope it helps Smile

PS: EVOO is totally safe. I meant be careful w the spraying part. I misted my little pumpkin and the water was a bit cool which startled him lol.
classyPINK
classyPINK

Back to top Go down

Post by Shauny 11th March 2010, 5:22 pm

I agree with Classy. My 3 month old had VERY dry skin and scalp. The Dr said it was something starting with an S but if not treated on her hair it would cause cradle cap.

She told me to use baby oil and baby shampoo for her hair. What I did at first was massage the baby oil gently into her scalp, let it sit for a bit, gentle part and comb through the places I saw the skin, wait about 30 minutes then wash. I changed the oil to coconut oil a couple of weeks ago and used EVOO last week. I don't see much of any now but I'm going to keep doing it a few more times just in case it tries to come back.
Shauny
Shauny

Back to top Go down

Post by classyPINK 11th March 2010, 7:32 pm

Lucky babies! I wish I had someone giving me coconut oil scalp massages lol!
classyPINK
classyPINK

Back to top Go down

Post by MaddingtonBear 29th March 2010, 11:00 am

That sounds like cradle cap. My daughter developed this three months after she was born. The pediatrician told us to massage her scalp with baby oil then put Head n Shoulders (the medicated kind) on her scalp to wash off the oil. Let the Head n Shoulders sit for at least 2 minutes (mind u this can sting the eye but be very careful not to get it into the eye area), then rinse. Worked like a charm. No more cradle cap after doing this. HTH

MaddingtonBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down