CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Growth and Shea Butter

+3
Melng
CostaKink
Ms.Fenty
7 posters

Go down

New Growth and Shea Butter Empty New Growth and Shea Butter

Post by Ms.Fenty 3rd March 2010, 8:15 pm

So, I'm 6 weeks into my transition and for some reason my new growth feels dry and rough (it normally doesn't at only 6wks post), I'm thinking about using raw shea butter on it. I saw someone online use it on her new growth to "tame" it and I've seen a lot of natural girls use it, is it more of a moisturizer, does it seal in moisture...what exactly does it do for our hair? Also I can't seem to find it for a decent price except on the streets in Harlem (I saw it before I started transitioning) but I live in Connecticut so its hard to spend $20 on a train ride just to get a few ounces to try out...any suggestions?

Last edited by Ms.Fenty on 3rd March 2010, 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

New Growth and Shea Butter Empty Re: New Growth and Shea Butter

Post by CostaKink 3rd March 2010, 8:18 pm

I believe it moisturizes and it can be used as a sealant also...
CostaKink
CostaKink

http://www.loudmouth269@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 3rd March 2010, 8:27 pm

i just brought some shea butter on amazon. it was only 2.80 before i brought it i look it up and it was legit.. it is by now food.. it is 100% natural shea butter. Smile
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 3rd March 2010, 8:35 pm

I did see it on Amazon but I guess I didn't believe that it was the raw one because of the packaging (lol), if I can't find it anywhere else I'll definitely be getting it there though. thanks
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 3rd March 2010, 8:38 pm

your welcome!!
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 3rd March 2010, 9:44 pm

Hello Ms.Fenty, Butters N Bars is also a good place to get it from online here is the link
http://www.butters-n-bars.com/
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Blex 4th March 2010, 1:07 am

I ordered some on coastalscents.com for around 8.00 and you get a good bit. They also have oils, like coconut oil. Shipping was super fast (ordered Fri and received on Mon!). Haven't used it yet so sorry I don't know how it works yet.
Blex
Blex

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 4th March 2010, 11:20 am

I bought some from butters n bars a while ago and never really knew what to do with it. I saw some videos on youtube regarding mixtures people use it for and things like that. This past weekend I decided to try one. I put some shea butter, coconut oil, rosemary, peppermint and tea tree oils(I think, cant remeber which ones I used) in a bowl and whipped it all together until it looked like frosting. I then put this in some jars and have been using it everyday on my new growth and my ends. I made wayyy too much, but like I said it was my first try and also because a little goes a very long way. I think I might freeze some of it or put some in the fridge(or just use it as lotion...lol). I love what it does for my hair and I am going to make this a new "product"of mine..It definitely gives my hair moisture and also my ends which are driving me BEYOND bonkers!!! It has also been providing that shine I have been wondering how to get..

Hope that helps some. March started my 7th month of transitioning and Im just experimenting and things like that...
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 4th March 2010, 7:59 pm

Thanks, it really helps to hear how someone else is using it laleepop14.
Also thanx for telling me about butters n bars MellowOne I was on the website last nite n I actually learned a lot about shea butter there too and my inner PJ is rearing her ugly head, their products seem really good and reasonable too
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

New Growth and Shea Butter Empty butters and oils and whips...oh my

Post by Ms.Fenty 5th March 2010, 12:33 am

Now I have even more questions...on the Butters n bars site I saw Shea, Mango and Cocoa butter, and a load of different oils and shea mixes. So my wheels get to turning and I get on youtube. It seems that a lot of girls make shea butter whips for scent and ease of use...sounds good to me.
So from your own experience are shea butter whips or plain shea butter better/easier to use?

But then because I'm an island girl I love anything that reminds me of the islands, so then mango butter catches my attention.
So....do any of you ladies use mango butter, what does it smell like, do you mix it with essential oils?
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 5th March 2010, 12:56 am

I am not sure about the shea butter whips but on the nappturality website they have a whole page on shea butter and it said that the less you do to it the more effective it is. I know that most people like reading it for themselves so here is the link
http://www.nappturality.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75:shea-butter-basics&catid=34:careinfo&Itemid=30
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 5th March 2010, 1:03 am

You can also get raw unrefined shea butter at shea-essentials.com. You can get 8 oz. for $5.50 and 16 oz. for $9. Shipping is fast and free!
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 5th March 2010, 1:18 am

Thank you Naturallyme09, free shipping sounds good to me
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content