CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning

+4
MellowOne
Russet
Muz
Melng
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Transitioning Empty Transitioning

Post by Melng 1st March 2010, 2:42 pm

Hi everyone
I have just recently decided to go natrual. Ive only been relaxer free for about a month and i need help and tips on how to maintain it once i get far along in the transitioning stage. while researching on this site i saw that many product are needed to obtain the natural hair styles, im a college student which means i am working with a low budget (lol) so i would also like to know the less expensive products to use that will give me the same results.
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Transitioning Empty Re: Transitioning

Post by Muz 1st March 2010, 3:22 pm

Actually, you don't need that many products to get the natural hair styles. All you really need is a good conditioner, a sulfate free shampoo, and a good moisturizer. All of the other stuff is completely optional. I use the same 4-5 products every week (depending on what I do with my hair) and they all last for a long time. I spent MUCH more money trying to find stuff to maintain the relaxed look (hell, I spent almost $100 on a good flatiron) and going to the shop to get the relaxer. You don't HAVE to buy the more expensive products geared towards naturals, everything you need can be found at your local grocery or health foods store Smile

What styles are you trying to do?
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 1st March 2010, 5:05 pm

I'm trying to go for the twist out curls.. i tried it this summer and my hair dried out instantly. i used Shea butter and dark n lovely wrap lotion. I'm also looking for more style.. i have short hair so I'm looking for cute natural style for short hair while I transition.
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 1st March 2010, 5:26 pm

Try using ORS Twist and Lock gel, it costs lest than $5 even in drug stores (where stuff tends to be more expensive) and it gives a great hold for your twists so when you take them out they still hold that shape for longer. I have some in my hair now and all that I have under it is some leave-in conditioner and a little Castor Oil Smile If you have some Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Coconut Oil those work well too for sealing in moisture. Also, try air drying your hair or using a cool hooded dryer that also helped me keep a lot of moisture in my hair Smile HTH
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Russet 1st March 2010, 5:58 pm

Braid outs keep your hair in the curl pattern longer, IMO. But it also simply depends on what kind of products you use, and how long you keep in the twists in.

A couple of cute styles you may want to try out is whenever a bantu knot out, twist out or braid out goes wrong, you can french roll the back of your hair upwards and ofcourse pin the roll to hold it, and leave the fron of your hair out to give it a more funky-cute look.

Loving your eyebrows, btw!
Russet
Russet

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 1st March 2010, 6:33 pm

i really love the twist out and braid out styles. my hair is naturally kinky but soft, will those styles look how they are supposed to??
and thanx i love my eyebrows lol!!
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by Russet 1st March 2010, 6:59 pm

Yes, it may even look fuller if you have a kinkier/thicker texture! and the softness is a bonus. You should try it out sometime and post pics ... How have you been styling your hair post relaxer? Or after you made the decision to go natural?
Russet
Russet

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 1st March 2010, 8:27 pm

Ive just been flat ironing it and wearing in a short staright style.. i want top start curling it but im a little heistant because of the way i have it cut.. but in the summer i tried the curl rods they dried out and broke off my hair, and i tried trist outs and they came out all wrong.
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 2nd March 2010, 1:14 am

Hello Melng,
I have been transitioning since Nov and I love the twist outs. I noticed that before I started deep conditioning my hair was a little dry. Also when you twist you should use a oil to seal in the moisture I use coconut oil but I know a lot of the ladies on here use shea butter or castor oil you kinda have to try them all to see which one works for your hair...I also put more coconut oil on the twist before I take them down and that works for me.

Good Luck on your journey!
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 2nd March 2010, 2:47 am

Thank for the advice, I think next weekend I will try it again and I'll post pictures!
Thanx everyone
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by diva5757 2nd March 2010, 3:35 am

good luck, lot of great advice here. moisture is your friend. thats one thing to remember. lots of conditioners come in big sizes for cheap at walmart...other things like coconut oil can be purchased there too or look online for items in bulk like amazon, or ebay...whenever in doubt about a purchase just post a note on this site and someone will be sure to get back to you about reviews, a better price, or bang for your buck, coupons, etc.

you go girl! I love you
diva5757
diva5757

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 2nd March 2010, 11:43 am

I do TnCs most of the time and preserve my curls with bantu knots at night. Back away from the flat iron and get some rollers. Since I've transitioned for so long I have plenty of length to roll my hair but I opt to wear twists and then curl them with the perm rods. I always use end papers and I seal my freshly cowashed hair with either unrefined 100% shea butter(BSS) or CD's Healthy Hair Butter. I let my hair air dry instead of sitting under the dryer and I use a lil more butter when I take the rollers out.

You can also check out Youtube for some great style ideas and product recommendations.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 2nd March 2010, 1:00 pm

so.. what is a cowash? lol. I a little afraid to start the natural looks while my hair is still short. so I'm using Doo Gro to spend up the growing. or is there ways to style my hair?
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 2nd March 2010, 1:22 pm

Cowash mean washing with conditioner only rather than shampoo...and have you thought of getting some type of extensions to help grow your hair out?
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 2nd March 2010, 2:29 pm

Oh ok. and I've thought about extensions, but I dont really like weaves wigs and braids.. I was thinking I just let it grow out and while its growing just clip my ends, until my hair is completely natural.
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by Russet 2nd March 2010, 6:30 pm

I have a question now that you mentioned extensions...

Are "weft" hair extensions (the ones sewn together on the top and the sewn in to braids or "tracks") really damaging to your hair? Me and my girl friend were debating on whether or not it is safe.

Thanks!
Russet
Russet

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 2nd March 2010, 8:27 pm

I honestly think they are.. I have friends that wear sew ins on a regular and the hair on the edges are thinning many have bald spots.. and its real damanged at the ends.. I wouldn't reccomend
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 2nd March 2010, 11:25 pm

I haven't had issues with them...but I guess it would depend on how tight they are done or if they are done on the whole head or not. Too tight braids may be the culprit of the thinning edges.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 2nd March 2010, 11:35 pm

yea.. I'm going to try something becaus i know havening two different textures in you head is not cute!! (lol)
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 2nd March 2010, 11:37 pm

I use to really dislike any sort of fake hair too...but when I started using it I didn't mind....I put kinky twists in my hair, sew-ins, ponytails....etc
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 3rd March 2010, 1:41 am

I just tried the Bantu Knots for the first time.. i washed and comditions my hair and just used some Doo Groo, African Pride Castor and Mink oi and spritzl.. I hope it comes out ok!.. if it doesn't, what are some basic backup hair styles??
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 3rd March 2010, 11:23 am

I agree with Janique. It depends on how tight your base braids or extensions are braided. I no longer wear box braids for that reason and whenever I get my sew-ins, I wear a partial weave with the front perimeter left out. Also if you're going to rock a weave make sure the stylist incoporates human braiding hair into your braids. It protects your strands from thinning because of the sewing process.

@Melng: how long is your hair? You can try a curly puff resulted from the knots or a simple bun.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 3rd March 2010, 1:08 pm

its a little longer than a pixie.. i took the knots down this morning and my hair is super curly.. a small curly fro.. i like it.. but its dry and frizzy at the relaxed ends.. is that normal??
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by EagerCurler 3rd March 2010, 5:00 pm

I'm currently transitioning its been 12 weeks since my "creamy crack". I have a short cut as well... and bantu knots have been my main squeeze of a style... So I know what ur going thru!!

But when I first did my bantu knots I also had wonderful curls but my straight ends were frizzed out and straggely!! Then I made a change... I shampooed as normal... then I took a mix of extra virgin olive and melted shea butter and put in on my scalp and ends. Then I followed with conditioner and rinsed leaving some of the conditioner in.

Then when doing the knots...while wet I did a litte finger detangle...took a little olive oil on my fingers while I twistd and put bobby pin in...

In the morning I took them out with a little shea butter on my fingers and let em loose!! Man, my wannabe curlie ends were uber soft and juicy lol!!!!

Hope that Helps : )
EagerCurler
EagerCurler

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 3rd March 2010, 5:05 pm

lol thank you!! bantu knots are the best!!
only one problem.. i know where to get extra olive oil but where do i get some good shea buuter from??
how often do you clip your split ends??
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next