CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Co-Washing only be bad for natural hair?

+10
Free2Be
R2D2
charnaekinksncoils
ktoliver5303
d.denise
jlowman1
sweetdrk1
PaganWifey
Erica5417
catcurls
14 posters

Go down

Can Co-Washing only be bad for natural hair? Empty Can Co-Washing only be bad for natural hair?

Post by catcurls 21st February 2010, 5:43 pm

A friend of mine living in Atlanta went to Urbanbella wanting a deep condish and style. When asked about her routine she stated she co-washed weekly. The stylist told her co-washing was not good for our natural hair and that shampooing then conditioning was best. Has anyone heard this before?
catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Can Co-Washing only be bad for natural hair? Empty Re: Can Co-Washing only be bad for natural hair?

Post by Erica5417 21st February 2010, 6:13 pm

did the stylist have natural hair?
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Can Co-Washing only be bad for natural hair? Empty Re: Can Co-Washing only be bad for natural hair?

Post by PaganWifey 21st February 2010, 6:19 pm

I wet my head everyday. If I don't cowash I shampoo.

HOWEVER, no matter what it would behoove you to rinse relatively cleanly. Buildup is no bueno.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by catcurls 21st February 2010, 7:00 pm

Erica5417 wrote:did the stylist have natural hair?
Yes this is a well know natural styling salon. Per my friend all the stylist there had natural hair. I took the statement as one from a natural styling professional. I've been looking at natural blogs since my bc in 8/2009. I've been cowashing weekly with a poo and deep condish every other week. I have experienced some dryness in the back section of my hair but didn't attribute it to cowashing but was wondering if there were any curlies out there who had experienced any problems.
catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 21st February 2010, 7:32 pm

I co-wash weekly and shampoo only when needed; I have had no problems. Actually my hair is growing rapidly it seems!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 21st February 2010, 9:37 pm

I cowash daily and my hair has been thriving! Its healthier and growing even faster than when I was relaxed so I dont see an issue with it.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 21st February 2010, 10:08 pm

if you use products that cause buildup you may need to shampoo. products that have non water soluble ingredients (which is most of them lol) that can't be removed with just water and a deep scrub will cause build up and you need to shampoo to remove it.
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 22nd February 2010, 8:35 am

I wet my hair everyday, spray leave in conditioner and co wash every other day. My hair is growing at a rapid pace.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by charnaekinksncoils 1st March 2010, 3:04 am

catcurls wrote:A friend of mine living in Atlanta went to Urbanbella wanting a deep condish and style. When asked about her routine she stated she co-washed weekly. The stylist told her co-washing was not good for our natural hair and that shampooing then conditioning was best. Has anyone heard this before?

I have visited Urbanbella before and they seem to be very well versed on natural hair and the stylists who work there have some fierce looking hair - actually I think they are required to wear natural hair... HOWEVER I also feel that stylist, especially those who sale specific lines of hair care items tend to promote the ENTIRE line of THOSE specific products ONLY...When my friend and I were saying how we use things like raw shea butter and and aloe vera gel, the stylist doing our consulation acted like we were speaking a foreign language..lol
charnaekinksncoils
charnaekinksncoils

Back to top Go down

Post by charnaekinksncoils 1st March 2010, 3:04 am

catcurls wrote:A friend of mine living in Atlanta went to Urbanbella wanting a deep condish and style. When asked about her routine she stated she co-washed weekly. The stylist told her co-washing was not good for our natural hair and that shampooing then conditioning was best. Has anyone heard this before?
charnaekinksncoils
charnaekinksncoils

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 1st March 2010, 6:20 am

I would agree that a shampoo or baking soda wash at least once a month is desirable as build up is detrimental to a healthy scalp and hair growth but I wouldn't agree that co-washing in itself is not right for natural hair. I do a combination of both.

Maybe the stylist meant co-washing alone is not best for natural hair. If your friend only co-washes once a week and nothing else then her hair may get build up from sweat, sebum, dust etc which a conditioner may not be sufficient to get rid of?
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 1st March 2010, 11:35 pm

I have only been following a natural routine for about 2 months. I try to follow all of the advice I find online, but I have to do what works for MY hair. So after 2 mos. I know that I have to wet my hair every day. Otherwise it's a mess.

I co-wash just about every day until I can't stand the feel of my hair, then I shampoo. Right now, I have to shampoo at least twice a week or I am not happy with the feel of my hair. I use good conditioners, imo, and haven't noticed any dryness or breakage, whatsoever. I co-wash and use a leave-in, usually what I co-washed with.

I have only been using 100% all natural products (no parabens, sulfates, cones, etc.) and I think that has helped a great deal in the health of my hair and scalp. It's growing a lot, but I do have some shedding which I think is connected to some prescription meds I take.

Do what works for you. Be careful strictly following everyone else's routine. I'm new at this, but it only took me about two weeks to realize there was no way I could go a whole week or longer without washing my hair. Each head of hair is different and unless someone has examined your hair personally, matching your hair type to someone else's is not going to guarantee that you can follow their routine. *My mom and I appear to have the exact same head of hair, but she can go all week without washing her hair, using moisturizers/oils and it doesn't look like it's greasy at all. But me? After one day with moisturizer I have to wash it or it's plastered to my head.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by avyishi 1st March 2010, 11:51 pm

Tell that stylist to call me so i can educate her wrong behind! While it is a good idea to shampoo once in awhile you really can go a very long time with just cowashing and no damage. You can wash your hair every month or every two months or whenever you think you have build up.

I've been to a few natural hair salons and unfortunately they all don't know what they are doing. I've seen so call experts tell someone who was growing locks not to wash his hair for 6 months and to squeeze lemons into his hair.....I got him as a customer and almost threw up while i washed his hair....I called the person he said told him this and told them it just bad hygiene not to wash your hair, the more you wash the more it helps the locks to catch you just don't need to use conditioner until you they have locked.

Cowashing is not dangerous,but i do recommend using all natural shampoo from time to time or baking soda.I'm about to look this place up and give them a call, this is one of the reasons i want to write a book,lol
avyishi
avyishi

http://public.fotki.com/beautywithcurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 2nd March 2010, 3:14 am

Free2Be wrote:I have only been following a natural routine for about 2 months. I try to follow all of the advice I find online, but I have to do what works for MY hair. So after 2 mos. I know that I have to wet my hair every day. Otherwise it's a mess.

I co-wash just about every day until I can't stand the feel of my hair, then I shampoo. Right now, I have to shampoo at least twice a week or I am not happy with the feel of my hair. I use good conditioners, imo, and haven't noticed any dryness or breakage, whatsoever. I co-wash and use a leave-in, usually what I co-washed with.

I have only been using 100% all natural products (no parabens, sulfates, cones, etc.) and I think that has helped a great deal in the health of my hair and scalp. It's growing a lot, but I do have some shedding which I think is connected to some prescription meds I take.

Do what works for you. Be careful strictly following everyone else's routine. I'm new at this, but it only took me about two weeks to realize there was no way I could go a whole week or longer without washing my hair. Each head of hair is different and unless someone has examined your hair personally, matching your hair type to someone else's is not going to guarantee that you can follow their routine. *My mom and I appear to have the exact same head of hair, but she can go all week without washing her hair, using moisturizers/oils and it doesn't look like it's greasy at all. But me? After one day with moisturizer I have to wash it or it's plastered to my head.

Best post ever.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 2nd March 2010, 3:59 am

Cowashing with the proper conditioner (non-silicone is best) is not harmful to the hair, it's actually good for it. Cleansing with a non-sulfate shampoo can be done as needed. Clarify your hair about once a month.

I'm not sure what she meant... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by blondie on 2nd March 2010, 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 2nd March 2010, 4:03 am

catcurls wrote:
Yes this is a well know natural styling salon. Per my friend all the stylist there had natural hair. I took the statement as one from a natural styling professional. I've been looking at natural blogs since my bc in 8/2009. I've been cowashing weekly with a poo and deep condish every other week. I have experienced some dryness in the back section of my hair but didn't attribute it to cowashing but was wondering if there were any curlies out there who had experienced any problems.

If you are using a conditioner with silicones (most of the mass produced conditioners) you can experience dryness. Silicone buildup can prevent moisture from reaching the hair stands.

I used to cowash everyday (just lazy now) and my hair thrived. But I used zero silicones.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 2nd March 2010, 5:36 pm

blondie wrote:
catcurls wrote:

If you are using a conditioner with silicones (most of the mass produced conditioners) you can experience dryness. Silicone buildup can prevent moisture from reaching the hair stands.

I used to cowash everyday (just lazy now) and my hair thrived. But I used zero silicones.

I agree about silicones causing buildup. I had to stop using HE Hello Hydration and Totally Twisted, it made my hair have a waxy feel after awhile.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyJazzy 2nd March 2010, 5:52 pm

I'm trying to lower my cowashes just to see what will change..
NaturallyJazzy
NaturallyJazzy

Back to top Go down

Post by xoxo 2nd March 2010, 8:26 pm

I co-washed my hair every day since my BC, I haven't noticed any problems besides an itchy scalp. So I'm going to bump it down to 3x a week.
xoxo
xoxo

http://www.longlivehair.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down