CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want to Give Back

5 posters

Go down

I want to Give Back Empty I want to Give Back

Post by NaturallyJustMe 3rd February 2010, 6:34 pm

I want to be a big sister, I am 2 years completely natural and would love to help someone else along their journey...
NaturallyJustMe
NaturallyJustMe

Back to top Go down

I want to Give Back Empty Re: I want to Give Back

Post by MzTori728 4th February 2010, 2:07 am

Hi! I would love a big sister!!! I need help girl! And some motivation at times!

~Victoria
MzTori728
MzTori728

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyJustMe 4th February 2010, 11:18 am

Well looks like I'm your girl....LOL....

Here is my contact information:
email:
keasley173@gmail.com

http://naturallyjustme.onsugar.com

Hit me up anytime and I will do my best to help you out...
NaturallyJustMe
NaturallyJustMe

Back to top Go down

Post by MzTori728 4th February 2010, 1:31 pm

Hey!!! I am so excited!!! I been needed someone to talk to about this. Thank you so much!!!

My email is victoria.renee@ymail.com

So let me give you a little info about me:

I'm 28 years old, and from Detroit, born and raised. I just moved to New Jersey about 2 1/2 weeks ago with my boyfriend. So far, I like it. I think I more so just like the idea of being away from my family and being on my own. I absolutely love my family, but just about everyone still lives in Detroit or the surrounding areas, and I've always wanted to experience living in a completely different part of the country. So when the opportunity presented itself, I went for it. Smile

As for my hair, I did my big chop on December 8 of last year. I had been thinking about cutting all of my hair off for at years, I'm talking about 10 years. I had been rocking a short pixie cut for years, which I loved, and I kept it TIGHT!!! That's one thing that I was always known for - keeping my hair done at all times. Well, I had been getting a perm since I was probably about 3 or 4 years old. Basically, I don't remember ever not getting a perm. And I had became good at it. I never followed the recommended time frame to do a touch up. I just did one whenever I THOUGHT I saw new growth. And I would perm all of my hair, not just the new growth. It never really dawned on me that I was jacking my hair up because it still looked good. Well, as time went on, my sides got more and more and more thin. I'm talking bald scalp, shiny thin! I mean, it's bad, so I had to take great care in camouflaging that. So, I always had to leave the hair above that very long so I can pull it down to cover up the bald spots. But I did it well though, because nobody ever knew, unless I told you.

I got tired of that. The whole perming, blow drying, molding, sitting under the dryer, shaping, grooming, EUGHHH!!! I was so sick of it. I looked in the mirror at my hair one day, and it was not the same hair. It looked absolutely horrible! And I was like, what in the world have I done to myself. So I started looking on YouTube for videos on hair care. And I found so much info on how to care for relaxed hair. But one day, I stumbled up on some videos on natural hair, and I thought all the ladies looked soooo beautiful, and confident. And when I looked at their hair, I was like, wow! It was all just so amazing to me. Now, I already knew I had curly hair from when I got my hair cut really short one time and I sweated and it curled up all over. Then, I was like, hey, I got curls, lol! So, after looking at these videos, I was like I can do this, but I was worried about my sides. Remember, I don't have much hair there. Then, I started looking for videos on how to help grow thin sides and I ran across a video by Luvlywone, and she has the exact same problem, but she big chopped too. And I remember her saying that she didn't care that her sides were thin, she did it anyway. So I was like, shoot, I can do this too! I got the clippers and buzzed it away. No transition period needed. I felt soooo good to be free from that weight! You gotta realize, my hair dictated everything that I've done all my life - how hot I made my shower, what shirt I wore, how I slept, I never wore hats, workout? hell no, cuz I'm not sweating my perm out and as a result, I gained about 25 lbs over 2 years! Just stupid!

So now, I sleep how I want, wear whatever shirt I desire, take steaming hot showers and wet my hair whenever I please, and I've been hitting the gym daily. But my problem is, I do not like the way I look with this haircut!! I'm so used to my sculpted pixie cut that was tight at all times, that I don't know how to make this look work. I hate to admit it, but my self-esteem has plummeted and I hate that I put so much emphasis on my hair. I been looking at other people's pictures and videos, and they have these beautiful, full, shiny curls, and I'm like dang, I can't wait til my hair grows out! I must admit, it's growing nicely. I have probably about 2 in. of growth which is great in just two months. But sometimes, I just need a extra boost of motivation to keep me from putting a quick weave in, or worse, perming it.

The people in my life has been as supportive as they can. My younger sister even decided to big chop, which I'm happy for. Fortunately, I haven't had anybody say anything offensive to me, so I'm thankful for that. My boyfriend supports it, but I don't think he fully understands why I'm doing what I'm doing, but he is trying his best. And I know this is not the most attractive look on me, but I'm blessed that he still tells me he loves me and that I'm beautiful. It seems like when I go out in public, I don't feel like my usual self. Did you go through a period of self-shock, lol, when you decided to go natural?

(I'm sorry this is so long. I just started typing and couldn't stop!)
MzTori728
MzTori728

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyJustMe 4th February 2010, 1:54 pm

Girl! I have definitely been there! My story is that one of my very good friends went natural about 6 years ago, and everytime I would go to visit her, I would be just in love with her hair. Only thing was, I didn't exactly have the support that I needed at the time, and I really didn't know a whole lot about how to go natural. So around the latter part of 2006, some things shifted in my personal life and I decided that I wanted to do some things differently. So pretty much the first half of 2007, I was busy researching, watching YouTube videos, stalking fotki albums, etc. Than in September of 2006, I decided that I was done with the "Creamy Crack". At the time I had a chin length bob, so I just kinda kept trimming on it until February of 2008. I got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore and so I went to a stylist and had her chop it off...My first reaction when she turned me around to the mirror, was complete and utter SHOCK! LOL I didn't realize how much face I had...LOL...and to make it so bad I had about as much hair as my boyfriend did, and I'm a girly girl, so I was strugglin with how I was going to rock this short little afro....

The way I got through the first 3-4 inches was to get real creative with make-up, earrings, and I went to get my hair shaped up once during that process just so that it looked right to me. And the funny that I found, was that on the days that I thought that I looked the worst, was the days that I got the most compliments...Bottom line is that patience is key, and not discouraged.

What's your current regimen?
What products are you using on a regular basis?
NaturallyJustMe
NaturallyJustMe

Back to top Go down

Post by MzTori728 4th February 2010, 9:21 pm

You're right, patience is definitely going to be key for me. I have zero patience with anything! So, I'm working on that too.

As for my regimen, I'm getting that together. I've found that the best style on me is when I use the ECOStyler gel and comb it thru. I know we probably shouldn't comb our hair, but it looks better to me when I actually comb it thru instead of just using my fingers. I've started washing with a mixture of liquid pepperming castile soap, distilled water and olive oil. I really like it b/c it's a natural soap and it's highly concentrated so I don't need a whole lot of it. I just started this and I plan on only using it once a month. I co-wash with HE HH or Totally Twisted (I think I prefer the Hello Hydration tho), leaving a tiny amount in. It leaves my hair super soft, then I seal with EVOO. My plan is to do this only 2x a week. For my sides, i've started using Wild Growth oil, it's only been a week, so I won't have results for a while. I only like to put the gel on my hair when it has very little conditioner in it, otherwise it turns white and looks nasty. That method doesn't work good for me. So this is what I think my new regimen is going to be (until I get some more length):

Monthly
Wash with homemade shampoo (Peppermint liquid Castile Soap, distilled water, EVOO)

Weekly
Deep condition with conditioner mixed with EVOO or Coconut oil (I think I will use my TIGI BedHead Moisture Maniac for this)

2x weekly
Co-wash with HE HH, seal with EVOO or Coconut oil. I only leave a little condish in my hair for moisture. Apply EcoStyler gel throughout hair

Daily
Spritz with water to refresh gel

I hope this new regimen will work!

What do you think is the difference between the EVOO and coconut oil? I mean, do you think it's better to use one or the other for certain things. Like, should I use olive oil to seal or coconut oil? I also have some jojoba, grapeseed, and castor oil (not the Jamaican black, just regular castor oil from the natural health store).

BTW, I think I have 3c/4a curls, more 4a on the side and back hairline, and 3c in the front, at the top, and in the back. Weird, I know!
MzTori728
MzTori728

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyJustMe 5th February 2010, 11:51 am

Sounds like you have a pretty good regimen...my suggestion would be to add in maybe a monthly protein treatment (if you are not allergic). You can make your own with the HH and a couple of eggs.

Also try mixing in some of the castor oil, grapeseed, and jojoba oil into your spritz that you use to refresh your hair, this will help to keep your hair moisturized.

One thing that I do when I am doing a wash and go, is I co-wash twice, the second time I only rinse part of it out then I add olive oil on top of that, than partially rinse with cold water, than I add clear ecostlyer gel (either with my hands or with my denman) and shake.
This works pretty good and you wont have the white clumps and your hair wont be crunchy.

As for oils, I think that EVOO is better than the coconut oil to seal your hair, simply because it is a heavier oil and you have to use it as much. But you can always mix them together and use them that way...I always mix my oils and I really don't have a problem.

Other than your spritz, do you make anymore of your own products?

My hair type is 3c/4a too...
NaturallyJustMe
NaturallyJustMe

Back to top Go down

Post by MzTori728 5th February 2010, 2:34 pm

Ok, so I mixed my distilled water, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil with 5 drops tea tree oil, 10 drops of peppermint, sage and eucalyptus. I'm going to use that as my daily spritz. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The only other product that I make would be the shampoo. I actually got the recipe from a lady on youtube. Someone on posted a video of hers on here about her "Aloe Gro" solution, and then I looked thru her videos and she showed how she makes her own shampoo. That's what I been using and I love it. It's just Dr. Bronner's Liquid castile soap (they come in lavender, peppermint, hemp, or baby mild. I used the peppermint), distilled water and olive oil. It's one part soap to 3 parts water, and then you can just add a little olive oil, depending on your hair.
MzTori728
MzTori728

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyJustMe 5th February 2010, 2:37 pm

Great! I hope that you like it...Yeah I like the Dr. Bronner's soaps...I actually put mine (really diluted) in a dye bottle and apply it to my scalp only.

I make my own whipped butters, conditioners, gels, scalp oils and moisturizer. Recently I made my first pomade for my son's hair. Let me know if you need any of the recipes.
NaturallyJustMe
NaturallyJustMe

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyJustMe 9th February 2010, 11:43 am

@MzTori728...How is the new spritz working out?
NaturallyJustMe
NaturallyJustMe

Back to top Go down

Post by MzTori728 11th February 2010, 3:37 pm

Hi! I'm back!! Sorry I haven't logged on, but I've been busy getting into school. I'm about to start working on my master's and I had to get all this stuff together to get admitted. But, I just found out yesterday that I did get admitted and I start on the 1st!!! But, back to the topic, lol, I love the spritz!! It feels good, but I don't like it over the gel. So it's perfect to refresh my wash and go, but when I use the gel I usually have to rinse it all out the next day and reapply [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

But, today, I'm doing my deep condition and I'm going to use the Moisture Maniac and add the egg like you said! So I'll let you know of the results.

Now, how do you make your whipped butters? I would love to make those because my skin is soooo dry all the time!

Thanks Smile
MzTori728
MzTori728

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyJustMe 11th February 2010, 6:17 pm

Congrats! I got my Master's a couple of years ago, and tonight I am going through the motions of getting certified to teach at University of Phoenix.

Glad that you like the spritz...yeah it may not work good over gel, but under will work pretty good, because it will keep your hair from feeling crunchy.

As for my butters, I mix Shea butter, coconut oil, EVOO, aloe, and whatever smell good oil in a bowl and whip it with a hand mixer until its like cake frosting...turns out great...
NaturallyJustMe
NaturallyJustMe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mz. CiCi 13th February 2010, 9:08 pm

Hi!
I recently big chopped and as it's winter in North Carolina i.e the snowy time, I need help with protective styles. Do you have any good ones besides twists?
Mz. CiCi
Mz. CiCi

http://lesisworld.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyJustMe 16th February 2010, 11:32 am

Hi! Maybe braids...about how long is your hair?
NaturallyJustMe
NaturallyJustMe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mz. CiCi 16th February 2010, 12:58 pm

It's about 4 or 5 inches
Mz. CiCi
Mz. CiCi

http://lesisworld.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyJustMe 16th February 2010, 6:03 pm

Ok well puffs, braids, finger combs/coils, straw sets, weaves, micros....
NaturallyJustMe
NaturallyJustMe

Back to top Go down

I want to Give Back Empty I need a Big Sis

Post by Penni 18th February 2010, 2:00 am

Hi, I am new to this site BUT not new to natural hair. I have been natural going on 4 yrs but not always wearing my hair. My wear added extensions (i.e., kinky twists, single braids) My spouse is in the military so we have moved 2 times in the last 3 yrs. I now live in South Carolina but have been traveling to Atlanta (hometown) to get my hair done in a very cute curly style. This style last 6-8 weeks. I am tired of traveling and want to start wearing my own hair in different styles. My natural hair is medium length, passed my shoulders. I am very interested in products and styles.

Penni

Penni

Back to top Go down

I want to Give Back Empty I search of Big SIS

Post by missdd83 20th February 2010, 2:07 pm

Hi ladies,

This past wed i did the BIG Chop! It felt liberating as well as traumatizing. Now my hair is about quarter inch in length. I think my texture is combination of 4a-b. Not really sure what to due with my TWA or what products to use.

I felt this time in my life was the best time to accept completely real self. So the weave and weave and more weave had to go [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . This is not me. Now i see myself completely.

Cant say its been easy but i know it will get better.

Anyway Im in dire need of a big sis and lil sis, that have began the tranisition with the BC like me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here a list of products ive bought

co-wash: suave tropical coconut natural conditioner
Condition: Hello Hydration
Leave-in condition: quarter size- herbal essence hydralicious reconditioning conditioner
Oils: Doo Gro mega thick growth oil
gel: IC Fantanisa Olive Oil Gel

Others have suggested a simple "Wash N Go" do to my length

my wash n go regimen

co-wash
quater size amount leave-in
quater size oil
gel
let air dry,

After all this i see lil ringlets. Is there techinque to define coils. And also to lay down my edges and back.

Sorry for the long dread. Like i said Im definately a lil sis. I need of some help and motivation

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
missdd83
missdd83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down