CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BC anyone?

+13
NubieNatty
NaturalJones
NaturalNixon
GrnEyedBandita
JRoshelle
adiaha
NikG20
Mom2KurlyT
CurlyMommaMann
PaganWifey
Erica5417
mocha_mom
mrsrenaissance
17 posters

Go down

BC anyone? Empty BC anyone?

Post by mrsrenaissance 2nd February 2010, 4:14 pm

Any recs?

I'm scheduled to get my IUD (Mirena) this week & am sorta freaking out. My sis recently got hers taken out due to too many complications (it just wouldn't stay in place & was too uncomfortable). Either people love it or hate it. I really don't want to bother w/the pill. I hear the shot makes you gain alot of weight, don't even want to go there. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

BC anyone? Empty Re: BC anyone?

Post by mocha_mom 3rd February 2010, 12:34 am

I've been wanting to get Mirena since right after my daughter was born (may 22nd '09). I'm freaking out about it, and haven't even scheduled my appointment yet, lol! I just don't want it to hurt, so i've been babying my birth control pills till i'm ready. My older sister just got the Nuva Ring?? have you considered that?? I'm just not sure about the placement of the darn thing..we were at the mall and she felt it..slipping out? ew.
mocha_mom
mocha_mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 3rd February 2010, 1:55 am

Part of my research focuses on women of color and reproductive choice. If you get any type of birth control that has to be implanted/administered by a physician, please make sure you listen to your body. If you ever feel that something is not working for you (for ANY reason), don't let your doctor convince you to leave it in. Also, be sure you trust your doctor as physicians have been known to refuse to remove IUDs/Norplant/Implanon etc.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 3rd February 2010, 3:19 am

I have it in. I had issues with the patch. The estrogen was really starting to get to me. Crippling migraines. Many less migraines now all though sometimes I get a little crampy. I think my body is still adjusting. In a few days I'll have had it for 2 months.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMommaMann 3rd February 2010, 2:45 pm

I personally don't like the idea of anything I can't remove on my own. I am using the NuvaRing which is very comfortable and fool-proof. If you are having doubts about the IUD check it out. It's more simple than the pill.
CurlyMommaMann
CurlyMommaMann

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 3rd February 2010, 4:57 pm

I keep hearing the Nuva Ring is fool proof. It NEVER slips or get pulled out?
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mom2KurlyT 3rd February 2010, 5:48 pm

I have the mirena and am happy with it so far. I got it in August and I
spotted for about 2 straight months! I was so frustrated that I was
about to have it removed, but then it stopped and I've been period free
ever since. I got the mirena because I could NEVER remember to take my
pill! I mean I had an alarm on my cell phone and everything. I would
snooze it and forget to take the pill! But I agree, either you love or
hate the mirena. I definitely did my research before I got it and I
knew what I was in for. I thought it was going to hurt being put it,
but it didn't (a little discomfort, but no pain. And I'm a big baby
when it comes to pain) but overall I am very happy that I did. Good
luck!

Check out my blog on Toddler Hair Care!
Mom2KurlyT
Mom2KurlyT

http://kurlytspot.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 3rd February 2010, 8:46 pm

I'm scared of Mirena, lol. I've heard of too many bad things, I'm interested in that or IUD but I can't do it...lol Not yet anyway. I'm on depo right now, which I do fine with, but I don't really like being on it after doing some research so....good thread. I'll keep an eye on this.
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 4th February 2010, 1:27 am

Thanks ladies! I will def listen to my body & get it removed if I have any issues. A couple of ppl I know have talked about the ring slipping out so that's why I steered clear of it. They did tell me to take some pain meds before coming in though [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 4th February 2010, 2:54 pm

I have had friends with the mirena, one friend actually got pregnant after having the mirena inserted. It slipped out at some pt (without her being aware, maybe doing sex, showering, who knows) so now she has an unplanned but well loved baby number two and her tubes are tied.

I have another friend and she's had it about 4 months and loves it so far although she has a lot of random breakthrough bleeding.

I am not ready for that so I use the nuva ring, I have never had a problem with it coming out, and I can skip cycles if/when I want. I have heard a story or two about it coming out during sex. One women said it slipped onto her husband but based on the diameter of the ring I dont see that happening to most men.
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by JRoshelle 10th February 2010, 10:47 pm

I have tried:
the patch
mirena
nevo ring
depo
and different pills

I was using the patch until i decided to get pregnant and it worked really well, the only thing i noticed is it was tough to take off the patch, and i got head aches for the first few hours of putting a new one on

Mirena i tried 3 different times right after having my son and ever time it slipped out. It didnt hurt when the put it in, it really felt similar to a pelvic exam. the thing that was most uncomfortable is when the have to use a clamp to grab your uterus, but it doesn't hurt at all it feel like a little pressure and it lasts only for a minute, the key is to relax.

Nevo ring: worked as far a doing it's job, but again i got head aches and it could literally feel it the entire time it was in, I also didn't like either removing it or inserting a new one when I was having a period

Depo: I love depo, it works, you dont have to worry about anything, it can make you gain weight, but if you work out and eat healthy it shouldn't be too much, i think i gained like 6lbs only draw backs is you should only be on it for about 2 years at a time, you have to increase your calcium intake because of possible osteoporosis and you have to go see you dr every 12 weeks. I recommend getting the shot in your tush because if you get it in your arm it will be sore for a day or two

I dont really like pills because i forget to take them and they too can have side effects, i use to get horrible stomach cramps and other side effects i care not to mention (lol)

I think the next bc i will try will be Inplanon (similar to Norplant), or Mirena again. Depending on how your pelvis and uterus are will depend on if it slips out or not. After talking with my Dr we determined my uterus was too open (from having a baby) to hold it in place. I think your best bet is to talk to your Dr. and if you Dr cant find the time, Find a new Dr.
JRoshelle
JRoshelle

Back to top Go down

Post by GrnEyedBandita 18th February 2010, 3:05 pm

I have used the Mirena for abut a year now. I love it, no periods. Somtimes I have some spotting around the time my period would fall. Other than that I love it. I kept forgetting to take the pill and had one too many scares and that is what made me try the Mirena.

GrnEyedBandita

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalNixon 24th February 2010, 1:06 pm

I have the mirena. I have had it for 3 years and had NO problems with it. I plan to have it removed in June so we can start trying for the "Nixon finale".

I have had the shot. It worked fine for me despite the weight gain. I can't take the pill. My memory is awful(hence the reason my daughter is here).
NaturalNixon
NaturalNixon

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalJones 6th March 2010, 2:59 pm

I have tried
daily pills
the shot
the ring
condoms & foam & withdraw
withdraw (pull out)
abstinence

My method of choice is the condoms, foam and withdraw. Only because of the side effects of everything else. Taking pills for me on a daily basis cannot work. I have a busy schedule and I would forget and end up taking more than one at a time. Tried it and it was too risky, I was asking to get pregnant relying on the pills.

Abstinence....well that worked in my childhood days when I didn't know what a virgin was.

The shot, well I gained extra weight, bleed too often, and grew hair places it did not need to be! Tried it for 2 years and the bleeding never faded away.

The ring, well it worked wonders!! But I began having body aches, felt like my bones were hurting. Seriously, it was weird. I would have headaches and body aches and was on no other medication and my body was not feeling normal. When I stopped the ring those issues stopped. I even discussed it with my doctor. We did blood work to see if there was anything else wrong and he recommended that I stop using it.

The withdraw (pull out) well its not the safest choice. But it is the most frequent one we use. My husband and I don't want any more children but if it happens we will consider it a blessing. We use condoms and foam when we have it on hand. We have to do better with purchasing them just as we purchase other household items. I say its not the safest choice but for us honestly it has worked. I keep track of when I am ovulating and we avoid sex during that time. Well we try to but if we do we are very careful! run
NaturalJones
NaturalJones

https://www.facebook.com/qianadjones

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 6th March 2010, 11:29 pm

i got the mirena last november and i have no complaints at all. it took the dr less than 20 seconds to insert and VOILA off to play, lol. my cycles are shorter and much lighter. the first month i did spot on and off but nothing heavy! this is the only bc i can do becuz i cant remember to take the pill...which is why i have a 3 yr old [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 10th March 2010, 4:49 pm

I forgot to come back & update. I got the mirena last month. It was the worst pain ever! (And I've had 2 csections). Apparently my uterus is tilted back & to the left [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] so getting it inserted properly wasn't easy. I took the motrin beforehand, but also had to get 2 shots of numbing cream during the process. My dr. even had me get 2 ultrasounds to make sure it was in the right place. The entire process took like 2 hrs! Luckily I had a sitter & didn't have either of the babies w/me. Just got my 1st cycle since being on it. It was a little heavier than usual, & lasted 4 dys. Other than some random cramping I haven't had any issues.
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 3rd April 2010, 11:20 pm

Another update [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] No wonder I didn't have any more issues...when I went back for my follow up appt. the dr. couldn't even find it [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Apparently it slipped out! Who knows when. She's thinking during my cycle. Luckily I didn't get pregnant! She gave me the Nuvaring to try. We'll see.
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 6th April 2010, 3:03 pm

i'm laughing soooooooo hard right now at adiaha!!! that ring slipping out on the husband is NOT the bizness!!!

I've used the nuvaring and I liked it...i didn't tell my hubby about it until after we had sex and when he "felt" it, HE SCREAMED LIKE A GIRL! hahahahahahahahahahahahaha..we could NOT finish that night...lol...

My sis in law was on Mirena for the full 5 years and she just got pregnant..with twins...meeeeeessssssssssssss!!!!!
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 7th April 2010, 11:18 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] @mrsmackey

i'm really not feelin the nuvaring. it feels like it's going to slip out any minute! i've tried several times & ways to get it further in but it's not working. i just called my dr. yesterday to write a new prescription. back to the pill i go [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 9th April 2010, 12:43 am

Yikes!!! I tried 3 times in the last 6 months to get the Mirena and something happens every time. My baby is almost 7 months and breastfeeding has kept me not having a period but....it's freaking me out! Thats another reason I am now skeptical of Mirena. My whole life I have on schedule periods.....I'd be taking a test every month worried to death with Mirena.
Since u guys seem to like Nuva Ring...I think I will try that...thanks!
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 9th April 2010, 12:48 am

NaturalJones wrote:I have tried
daily pills
the shot
the ring
condoms & foam & withdraw
withdraw (pull out)
abstinence

My method of choice is the condoms, foam and withdraw. Only because of the side effects of everything else. Taking pills for me on a daily basis cannot work. I have a busy schedule and I would forget and end up taking more than one at a time. Tried it and it was too risky, I was asking to get pregnant relying on the pills.

Abstinence....well that worked in my childhood days when I didn't know what a virgin was.

The shot, well I gained extra weight, bleed too often, and grew hair places it did not need to be! Tried it for 2 years and the bleeding never faded away.

The ring, well it worked wonders!! But I began having body aches, felt like my bones were hurting. Seriously, it was weird. I would have headaches and body aches and was on no other medication and my body was not feeling normal. When I stopped the ring those issues stopped. I even discussed it with my doctor. We did blood work to see if there was anything else wrong and he recommended that I stop using it.

The withdraw (pull out) well its not the safest choice. But it is the most frequent one we use. My husband and I don't want any more children but if it happens we will consider it a blessing. We use condoms and foam when we have it on hand. We have to do better with purchasing them just as we purchase other household items. I say its not the safest choice but for us honestly it has worked. I keep track of when I am ovulating and we avoid sex during that time. Well we try to but if we do we are very careful! run

I'm with you...hubby and I have used the pull out method for the past 5 years(2 girls 3.5 years apart)I'd say the pull out can be just as effective if done correctly...lol!
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by soleil 6th May 2010, 12:52 am

I have had Mirena for 3 years, and I absolutely love it! I don't regret it at all. I haven't had any issues with it. I just had my yearly check up about a month ago (sorry, tmi) and my doctor found no problems. Everything is where it should be. Lol. But, I guess it depends on the person. Mirena is not for everyone! I love it because my periods are shorter (almost non-existent) and I pretty much have no worries. I do know that the doctor I had while I was pregnant had advised me against getting the Patch because I am very thin and kind of tall and the Patch can possibly contribute to Osteoperosis. (spelling?) I can't do the shot because I'm TERRIFIED of needles. The Nuva-Ring just seems like more work than I would like. And the Pill... well, I was on the pill when I got pregnant! It made me super ill every time I popped one of those things in my mouth. I had to fight to keep them down!
Anyway, I am a huge supporter of Mirena, but like I said... it isn't for everyone.
soleil
soleil

Back to top Go down

Post by tashafawn24 6th May 2010, 1:32 am

My husband and I use natural lamb skin condoms. I don't like the side effects from bc. The thing about the lamb skin condoms that we get are only for protection against pregnancy; unlike other condoms that protect against std's and feel like super rubber and irritate me (not to mention that rubber smell).

Plus you have more feeling (We had to check to make sure the condom was still on)!

My husband told me that he doesn't completely trust bc because it's not 100% effective and too many people have gotten preggo while using it.
tashafawn24
tashafawn24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum