CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna- I need some help

5 posters

Go down

Henna- I need some help Empty Henna- I need some help

Post by laleepop14 20th January 2010, 5:26 pm

Hello all.

I just ordered 200grams of Henna from butters n bars, but I want to know where do I start? I see to mix it with lemon juice, orange juice, etc. What is the best way that has worked for everyone who has used Henna before??
Open to any suggestions.

Thanks a lot
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Henna- I need some help Empty Re: Henna- I need some help

Post by tiashaunteé 20th January 2010, 6:30 pm

I would suggest going to the Henna board and looking over the thread with all the mixes. That is how I started...
You want to go with the mix that is best for your hair. So think about the things your hair loves and see if you can find a recipe with those items/products.
I used only plain yogurt.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 20th January 2010, 7:54 pm

I wouldn't use the lemon juice. It works well with caucasian hair but in the months that I have frequented discussion boards about hennaing for Afro hair, I've noticed many people have found it to be very drying. I'm uncertain about orange juice.

I only use henna mixed with warm coconut milk and get good dye release. The previous poster's suggestion of plain yoghurt is another excellent suggestion. Both are softening to the hair and aid in rinsing out, which is a real pain with henna. Starting off simple and then modifying it as you go is the best way to go.

Or you can just use green tea or even just water.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by saroyag 21st January 2010, 1:55 pm

I use half of a lemon along with green tea and haven't had any problems. Check out hennaforhair.com, they have a free e book. It also gives measurements if you want to try indigo to acheive other colors.
saroyag
saroyag

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 21st January 2010, 7:56 pm

As well as the free e book resource that the previous poster recommended I also recommend reading through the long henna threads on places like Naturallycurly.com and LHCF. It's time consuming but worth it because you can pick up on patterns on what works for afro hair and what doesn't. There are also lots of great tips that people come up with. I opened a word document and listed all those tips and developed my own step by step treatment plan. The more treatments you do, the more you will modify it according to your own experiences and needs.

The e-book is great as a basic explanatory resource for people who are starting out with henna but it was written with caucasian hair in mind and not everything recommended there might work as well for all afro hair types (or caucasian hair types for that matter!). The good thing about henna is that you can chop and change the process great flexibility and still have great results.

Good luck!
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 25th January 2010, 12:25 pm

Thanks everyone. I got my order from butters n bars on Staurday and plan on using it some time this upcoming weekend. I have printed that e-book and some other things regarding henna and will look through them and decide what works best for me.

Thanks again for all the advice!!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 29th January 2010, 12:37 am

I keep it simple and just mix my Henna with green tea & honey! It does great for me!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 11th February 2010, 6:12 pm

Thank you!! I am going to start with something simple like your recipe. Some green tea, and honey!! I find that less works well for my hair.
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down