CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can you tell when you need a trim?

+4
KinkyNappyHappy
cocoachanel
shazzy
MizzTriniRi
8 posters

Go down

How can you tell when you need a trim? Empty How can you tell when you need a trim?

Post by MizzTriniRi 4th January 2010, 3:30 pm

Hi Ladies,

My main question is, how can you tell when/if you need a trim? I ask because:

I blew out my 4a/4b hair last week for the first time to do dry twists. Once my hair was blown out, I noticed that the ends in most of the sections of my hair felt a bit rough and weren't as smooth as the length of the shaft. I just couldn't get the ends to smooth out, they were just very curly/kinky. I immediately thought "hmm, maybe I need a trim." However, a few issues: 1) I got a professional wet trim at the end of November, 2) I DC my hair every week and wear my hair mostly in two-strand twists or twistouts, and 3) In examining my hair (at least in front and at the nape) I don't appear to have any split ends, though I do have a few single-strand knots. Also, I've never really had a problem with split ends, even when I was relaxed.

I'm wondering whether that's just the way kinky hair is, i.e. because it's just very curly, there's no way to straighten the ends except by flat-ironing it.

I do have an overall goal of growing my hair as long as possible, so I would like to trim as seldom as possible, only when really needed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
MizzTriniRi
MizzTriniRi

Back to top Go down

How can you tell when you need a trim? Empty Re: How can you tell when you need a trim?

Post by MizzTriniRi 4th January 2010, 3:33 pm

I also want to add that I'm planning to trim my hair myself whenever I need to. I don't want to rely on a stylist anymore. I just want to be able to recognize when I need to trim.
MizzTriniRi
MizzTriniRi

Back to top Go down

How can you tell when you need a trim? Empty Re: How can you tell when you need a trim?

Post by shazzy 5th January 2010, 9:35 pm

I wish I could help! I have the same issue and also think I need a trim. My ends are rough/frizzy but the length of my hair after a roller set is smooth. I'm confused too. I am planning

shazzy

Back to top Go down

Post by cocoachanel 5th January 2010, 10:07 pm

I have this problem as well. I was making a plan of trimming every 6-8 weeks. I did so in the summer but then missed my next trim date eight weeks later and did not trim again until two months later when it was undeniable that I needed a trim. Six weeks since my last trim is coming up this Sunday and my hair does not feel like it needs a trim, but my trim date is coming up in two weeks and suspect that I won't be ready to trim still. But I will see. If I'm not ready to trim by then I think I will hold out for another two weeks before I trim again. But I think I will definitely not let more than 12 weeks go by before a trim. For me trimming is very important to keep my hair healthy so I know I have to. But I specially since I plan on utilizing the search and destroy method instead of actual trimming, I think every eight weeks should be okay.
cocoachanel
cocoachanel

http://perfectiongranted.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 8th January 2010, 3:05 am

vintagenarcissa wrote:I have this problem as well. I was making a plan of trimming every 6-8 weeks. I did so in the summer but then missed my next trim date eight weeks later and did not trim again until two months later when it was undeniable that I needed a trim. Six weeks since my last trim is coming up this Sunday and my hair does not feel like it needs a trim, but my trim date is coming up in two weeks and suspect that I won't be ready to trim still. But I will see. If I'm not ready to trim by then I think I will hold out for another two weeks before I trim again. But I think I will definitely not let more than 12 weeks go by before a trim. For me trimming is very important to keep my hair healthy so I know I have to. But I specially since I plan on utilizing the search and destroy method instead of actual trimming, I think every eight weeks should be okay.

Hi Vintagenarcissa~

What is the search and destroy method?
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antoinette 8th January 2010, 3:33 am

Great question...

In order to get the best results in growth it is best to dust your ends frequently. I trim mine every 3 months...I straighten my hair and then trim no more then 1/2 inch. I notice that my hair grows much faster with the ends trim...before trimming straightening my hair is horrible but after it is very easy and my hair looks sooooo much healthier after the trim in it's natural form.

I hope this helps..and it it totally okay for you to trim your hair yourself!!!
Maria Antoinette
Maria Antoinette

Back to top Go down

Post by cocoachanel 8th January 2010, 4:22 am

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:
vintagenarcissa wrote:I have this problem as well. I was making a plan of trimming every 6-8 weeks. I did so in the summer but then missed my next trim date eight weeks later and did not trim again until two months later when it was undeniable that I needed a trim. Six weeks since my last trim is coming up this Sunday and my hair does not feel like it needs a trim, but my trim date is coming up in two weeks and suspect that I won't be ready to trim still. But I will see. If I'm not ready to trim by then I think I will hold out for another two weeks before I trim again. But I think I will definitely not let more than 12 weeks go by before a trim. For me trimming is very important to keep my hair healthy so I know I have to. But I specially since I plan on utilizing the search and destroy method instead of actual trimming, I think every eight weeks should be okay.

Hi Vintagenarcissa~

What is the search and destroy method?

You search your ends for knots and splits and your "destroy" them by snipping each end individually. People do this so they can trim only the ends that need to be trimmed and not particularly lose any length
cocoachanel
cocoachanel

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 8th January 2010, 11:41 am

I have been doing S&D since my last trim but prior to that I deal feel the rough ends you are referring to. I inspected my ends only to discover that the roughness was caused by numerous fairy knots.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveBird 8th January 2010, 8:58 pm

@Mizz- I have the exact same problem. My hair is 4a/4b as well but my problem is that the frizzy knots on the end is only right side lol, the left is fine. anyway I've been thinking maybe a trim is needed but i too dont wanna go to the salon. I feel like she rips my out when she's trying to detnagle it, its awful.

LoveBird

Back to top Go down

Post by sufi731 12th January 2010, 10:25 pm

When I first went natural i was really scared of trimming my hair
but looking back some of my best hair days occurred after i trimmed my hair
like this past june my hair felt like butter a couple weeks after trimming with regular cowashing and DCing. Search and destroy has been my method as well sometimes you can just feel your way through your ends and tell which ones need the bigger trim
sufi731
sufi731

Back to top Go down

Post by cocoachanel 15th January 2010, 12:48 am

I'm about to do more than a trim, I'm about to cut an inch to an inch and a half off of my hair. I actually went to the CVS on my campus today to buy a sheers (because my old pair are dull) but I wasn't able to use my campus cash because their machines were down. Or I would have cut it already. After that I will trim regularly every 8-12 weeks. I'm just going to put myself on a routine instead of winging it. My ends are horrendous. I can't take this anymore. I don't even care about the length I'm losing. sigh.
cocoachanel
cocoachanel

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 15th January 2010, 9:28 am

vintagenarcissa wrote:I'm about to do more than a trim, I'm about to cut an inch to an inch and a half off of my hair. I actually went to the CVS on my campus today to buy a sheers (because my old pair are dull) but I wasn't able to use my campus cash because their machines were down. Or I would have cut it already. After that I will trim regularly every 8-12 weeks. I'm just going to put myself on a routine instead of winging it. My ends are horrendous. I can't take this anymore. I don't even care about the length I'm losing. sigh.

Hi Vintagenarcissa~

Just curious...what do you think lead to your damaged ends? Even with the S&D method you still have damage? New to this and just curious...

Thanks
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by cocoachanel 15th January 2010, 12:09 pm

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:
vintagenarcissa wrote:I'm about to do more than a trim, I'm about to cut an inch to an inch and a half off of my hair. I actually went to the CVS on my campus today to buy a sheers (because my old pair are dull) but I wasn't able to use my campus cash because their machines were down. Or I would have cut it already. After that I will trim regularly every 8-12 weeks. I'm just going to put myself on a routine instead of winging it. My ends are horrendous. I can't take this anymore. I don't even care about the length I'm losing. sigh.

Hi Vintagenarcissa~

Just curious...what do you think lead to your damaged ends? Even with the S&D method you still have damage? New to this and just curious...

Thanks

Just general wear and tear. My hair is healthy. But I was never one to trim regularly and I always used to do very high manipulation styles which cause my hair to tangle and get knots and for my ends to become damaged. My curls are very tight and extremely prone to tangling. And most of my tangles aren't even at the very end but about an inch up the hair shaft which is why I want to cut instead of just trim.

Now I'm doing mostly protective styling to aid in hair growth and I want to do this big cut so I can just maintain my ends with regular trimming and keep them healthy.

I simply do not have the time to do search and destroy. I would have to do my entire head. And with the tangles that the damaged ends cause in the first place it is virtually impossible to get them all. I could spend half and hour trying to search and destroy and snip like 10 hairs.

It is much more productive for me to do a general cut now and maybe follow up with search and destroy later. But honestly I think I will stick with regular trimming. I don't have the patience for search and destroy.
cocoachanel
cocoachanel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down