CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Notthecoolmom

+46
NikG20
MellowOne
CocoEuro
LaToya28
mochamoments
NubieNatty
SimplyShainee
cutephantasm
Cherry: extraordinary!
PaganWifey
StephanieB
curlyboricua
bholmes87
KinkyNappyHappy
Serenity23
MsJay1121
MahoganyCurls
Mom2KurlyT
mojitochica
jamaicacurl
Erica5417
Pinkrage
tiashaunteƩ
NaturalChica
FemmeFox
d.denise
Corygentri
BlondeByDesire
Juices-n-Berries
SheeTacular
AfrikanLatina
Freestyles
traveljunkie08
adiaha
vonda4b
Intelligentbeauty
lovesunshine17
ChrsLvsBks
NaturalNixon
sweetdrk1
BlakButterfli
HumanNature
Lynnieluve
NylaCoils
truet
Notthecoolmom
50 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Notthecoolmom Empty Notthecoolmom

Post by Notthecoolmom 23rd December 2009, 1:55 am

Okay,

So I'm doing this because Lynn called me out today (THANKS LYNN) Notthecoolmom Icon_mad Notthecoolmom Icon_mad

Just kidding...

So what do I say- hair- I recall not liking my hair and hating to get it combed when I was little. I was run when my mom pulled out my "hair stuff" can. ( Did ya'll have that when you were little?) We keep my barrettes and bows, etc. in the cookie can, you know like the one you get every Christmas with the butter cookies.

Anyway, when my mom would pull out her supplies I would cry, " No mommy, you combed it yesterday!" She would explain that I had to get it combed everyday and it wouldn't take long. I had thick hair, long and thick hair. My mom did what every other mom did back then, she slapped some grease in it, made you put a foam roller in the bang and kept it moving. I remember hating to get my "kitchen" combed because it hurt so much. My mom said when she was little they called it, "Knots, Knots, bb shots but then in a gun and they shoot like rocks." Then I would say "Bang, Bang". Now don't get me wrong this sounds very negative, but my mom wasn't trying to be it was just how the world was and even is sometimes.

Moving right along, I got to the age where I could get my hair pressed. I thought I was grown ya'll.
I remember going to my aunt's house (who had "good hair") and sitting in the kitchen where my cousin and I would hold our eyes and put ice on burns on our foreheads and feel like we had all the hair in the world (side note: we would put out pajama bottoms on our heads at night to pretend that we had long hair down our backs).

Skip ahead to middle school, my mom wanted me to be able to "do" my own hair and have it be more managable. So I got a curl and I kept that curl until Sophmore year of high school. Please no jokes because it was a very hard time for me. It was cool when I first got it because my hair grew even longer and I could comb through it myself. But as the years passed I had damage that caused a salon to do my hair for free for 6 months (first time I saw my mom cry about my hair). Then the curl was OUT. I begged my mom to let me perm it, but she had heard nightmares about people going bald or getting burns from switching from one chemical to another so it was a no...

High school I reverted back to little girl styles trying to hide the curl, but people who said they were my friends still talked about me behind my back. See, I was the "light-skinned girl who was stuck-up" but they didn't realize that I was so shy I didn't speak up for myself and so self-conscience that I wouldn't even walk with my head up (but yet again another story).

So I started working and I had money so I could pay for my own hair. I relaxed it right away. It was mid-back length and you know what everyone was my friend and on me...guys were trying to holla and girls wanted to be my friend. Then I started getting scissor happy. It got shorter and shorter because...it will always grow back. Everyone was mad, my mom, friends, guys that didn't even have a nerve to say hi. But I was happy and HAD to get my perm every 6-7 weeks.

Skip ahead to recent years, I relaxed my hair for at least 13 years. I accidently started going natural and did it for about a year the whole time everyone was saying "what are you doing with your hair?" One New Years I went to a walk-in shop get it relaxed wrapped my hair and uncovered a bald spot right at the temple. So a year or so later I'm trying not to be the "bald bride". A new stylist got it together for the wedding. Skip more time marriage, baby, post-partum shedding, a must have relaxer, lots of shedding, damage and March 2009 I'm thinking about going natural.

For 2 whole weeks I debated how I would handle not having "good hair" then I realized it's not just good it's GREAT. God gave it too me and He knows what he is going. April 2009, I had a random day off from work, I told my husband I was going to cut it off. He said don't look like a boy. I told him I wouldn't. I left a little on top (for reassurance)...I had cutters remorse. Then 2 weeks or less later I cut off the last relaxed ends and there begins my journey.

I know this is a novel, but blame Lynn Notthecoolmom Icon_lol

Last edited by Notthecoolmom on 30th April 2010, 12:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

https://www.youtube.com/user/Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Notthecoolmom Empty Re: Notthecoolmom

Post by truet 23rd December 2009, 2:09 am

welcome to the site and contest Notthecoolmom Icon_biggrin
truet
truet

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 23rd December 2009, 2:43 am

Your story is amazing! I am so glad that you updated your avatar with the smile photo!
This from the girl who will only let you see 1 EYE! I am bashful. Everyone always tells me that my eyes give away what I am feeling, at that time!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 23rd December 2009, 3:41 am

Now see....if you hadnt started this thread, you wouldnt know we have something in common and plus it looks like you needed this outlet.

Notthecoolmom Lol @ "Knots, Knots, bb shots but then in a gun and they shoot like rocks." "Bang, Bang". I never heard that one.

I too had a jheri curl until my sophomore year in high school. My mom was ok with getting a relaxer though. Some of my friends in high school asked me my I got my hair relaxed. I was like, "Dont you think it was time to let the curl go." Notthecoolmom Icon_biggrin

I had my relaxer about 16 years. Let's not talk about post partum shedding. That's the one of the main reasons I went natural.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanNature 23rd December 2009, 4:03 am

Nothecolmom, my sister and I use to put towels on our heads and we use to swing those towels around like it grew out of our scalps- Ha Ha!
I like the new avatar pic, very beautiful. Welcome to the challenge Notthecoolmom Icon_biggrin
HumanNature
HumanNature

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 23rd December 2009, 8:34 am

Notthecoolmom - YES, I remember that butter cookie tin of hair products! You had me ROLLING with that one!

You have had quite the hair journey. I used to twist a towel up on my head turban style and pretend I had miles and miles of long black hair tied up underneath it. AND I had a curl in jr. high and it was an experience unto itslef.

All that aside...welcome to the challenge and I look forward to reading more of your thoughts and musings on this hair thing. Notthecoolmom Icon_biggrin And I don't know what your old Avatar looks like, but you're glowing in this one, hun.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 23rd December 2009, 10:17 am

NTCM OMG, I had the hairbow bag!!! with that dang it brush that was used to keep me sitting still!

Welcome to the board..wonders who Lynn is going after next!!

*whispers* is she getting paid to do this?

*running* hahahahahahaaaaaaa
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalNixon 23rd December 2009, 10:29 am

YAY Cool mom! Loving your story. Girl I remember the hair can and sitting in the kitchen getting that hair fried. Ohh and not the pj's on the head..LOL

I look forward to reading your journal.
NaturalNixon
NaturalNixon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 23rd December 2009, 10:37 am

sweetdrk1 wrote:NTCM OMG, I had the hairbow bag!!! with that dang it brush that was used to keep me sitting still!

Welcome to the board..wonders who Lynn is going after next!!

*whispers* is she getting paid to do this?

*running* hahahahahahaaaaaaa

Notthecoolmom Lol Traveljunkie started hers before I could get to her. I have one more person in mind. **insert wicked laugh like Gargamel from the Smurfs**

No, I am not getting paid to do this. If anything I am blowing my chances of being the "Winner of a Chicken Dinner." Notthecoolmom Icon_santa
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 23rd December 2009, 11:19 am

You all brought a smile to my face this morning...and I needed it.
I am tired and stressed and tired and did I mention tired.

I woke up late and sprayed and pinned...My "birthday" hairstyle is holding up pretty good. I think I might do the braids more often.

I have a to-do list a mile long and a honey-do list almost as long, but there's only so much I do from this desk.

I was up way too late last night writing this blog and trying to load a video on Youtube, that wouldn't take. I need a massage!

Tonight, I will do my little one's hair for Christmas. I may share a pic if it's not too late and I haven't passed out yet
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 23rd December 2009, 12:17 pm

Welcome NTCM. I enjoyed reading your hairstory. My cousin and I used to place our shirts on our head and pretend we had long hair. You brought back memories I hadn't thought about in a long time.

I look forward to following your hair experiences.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 23rd December 2009, 8:13 pm

Okay today one of my friends at work said my hair "looked good on me"...I know this may be a compliment...it may not be.

I think she meant it as a positive, but I feel like people are saying, "Wow, the hair that grows out your head actually looks good on you."

Does that sound crazy to anyone else?
Maybe it's just the tone in which it is said.

I don't know.
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by lovesunshine17 23rd December 2009, 11:23 pm

Welcome to the site! Your hair looks great. Smile Just be confident in yourself~~~ I too had a butter cookie tin and several other boxes full of bubbles and clips. Luckily I didn't have to endure hot combs. >.< Good luck on your hair journey!
lovesunshine17
lovesunshine17

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 24th December 2009, 1:23 am

don't react to nonsense, just smile say thanks and I always add "I love my natural hair" and walk away proud!! 4get dem haters!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 24th December 2009, 1:27 am

Give her the benefit of the doubt, maybe she just ment to say "the style looks good on you".....lol;-)

BTW, welcome and your avator is just FABULOUS!!!
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 24th December 2009, 3:01 am

Thank you

I'm debating if I'm going to take the braids out for Christmas.
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 24th December 2009, 11:07 am

Okay even though I'm exhausted Notthecoolmom Icon_cry ,I think I look cute today Notthecoolmom Icon_biggrin .

I had my hubby take a picture. I'll have to load it later.

Nothing has changed about my hair, still birthday hair, but I did wear my birthday present from a friend and make-up 2 days in one week! Sound the alarm.
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 24th December 2009, 11:43 am

You sound like me with the make-up...cant wait to see the pic.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 24th December 2009, 1:28 pm

there is something about being natural that turns the glam up a notch! Work it momma!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by vonda4b 24th December 2009, 2:22 pm

Ok. NTCM. I first was to say welcome, 2nd your hair is fabulous!!!...and you are definitely glowing. I have been looking for your updates on curlynikki and youtube. When i asked if your hair type was a 4B/C and you said it was I got excited..lol..because that is my hair type as well. I am having a hard time trying to figure out what to do with both hair types I haven't BC yet.

I try to keep up with you to see what you are doing to your hair so I will have some ideas once i cut this relaxed hair off.

Just want to say keep the videos coming because you are my inspiration.
The cookie tin? yes maam, the hot comb on my buckshots? , whoa! It was ruff, not r-o-u-g-h, but ruff. I think i I will do my hair story as well here soon.
vonda4b
vonda4b

Back to top Go down

Post by vonda4b 24th December 2009, 2:23 pm

Notthecoolmom wrote:Okay even though I'm exhausted Notthecoolmom Icon_cry ,I think I look cute today Notthecoolmom Icon_biggrin .

I had my hubby take a picture. I'll have to load it later.

Nothing has changed about my hair, still birthday hair, but I did wear my birthday present from a friend and make-up 2 days in one week! Sound the alarm.

In your avatar what style are you wearing?
vonda4b
vonda4b

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 24th December 2009, 2:44 pm

@VONDA4B

Thank you so much. I'm glad my frustration with Youtube is not in vain.

First, my avatar is my "birthday" hair. It's little braids (kinda like box braids) twisted at the ends, rolled with paper bag rollers then pinned the front braids back.

I have been trying to load a video for 2 days that shows this, but Youtube doesn't want to cooperate.

I did upload a video of some different styles that I have done since I chopped it off and looking back I'm pleased. I knew it was growing, but I can really tell looking at the videos.
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by vonda4b 24th December 2009, 2:58 pm

Notthecoolmom wrote:@VONDA4B

Thank you so much. I'm glad my frustration with Youtube is not in vain.

First, my avatar is my "birthday" hair. It's little braids (kinda like box braids) twisted at the ends, rolled with paper bag rollers then pinned the front braids back.

I have been trying to load a video for 2 days that shows this, but Youtube doesn't want to cooperate.

I did upload a video of some different styles that I have done since I chopped it off and looking back I'm pleased. I knew it was growing, but I can really tell looking at the videos.

Then i will be going there when i get home. I plan on washing my hair this afternoon and doing small twists all over and rolling the ends.
vonda4b
vonda4b

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 25th December 2009, 1:18 am

I'm trying to decide if I will take my hair out for Christmas. At this point, all I want for Christmas is my bed and about 8-10 hours. I know I'm going to have to wash it Saturday because my scalp is starting to itch. Too much time in the heat and then out in the cold.

A side note: My daughter's hair, though frizzy was very moisturized when I took her braids out. Now if I could just remember exactly what I did that time. I really should right this down for the both of us.

I wish I would have taken a picture of her hair right after the wash BEAUTIFUL spiral curls stacked on top of the other. I'll have to try to take a picture next week. I sometimes wish my hair looked like that fresh out a co-wash, but then it wouldn't be my hair would it.
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 25th December 2009, 1:34 am

Since becoming a mom, I dont even think I know how to sleep 8-10 hours.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next